1200 calories

Options
Im trying to lose some weight and i have maximum of about 1200calories. I quit smoking 2m ago so i feel more hungry than usual.
Im looking for smart yummy recipes or food suggestions. Also if you havw any good recommendation to drink ice coffee when i want to splurge from starbucks with low calories.
TIA

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How did you choose this calorie goal?

Iced coffee is virtually calorie-free (around 5 calories, depending on size). It's what you add to it that adds calories. When I crave ice coffee, I have a black one and add Splenda if I want it to be sweet.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for most people unless they’re very short, sedentary, and/or older. If you don’t fall into those categories, then you may have set your rate of weight loss too high for your current stats. Choose a slower pace of loss to get more calories, and be sure you’re eating back exercise calories.
  • alessakef
    alessakef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I put my height, the lbs i want to be (prepregnancy) and the max lbs i can lose a week and it gave me that amount
  • alessakef
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i had no idea about this jane. i have been doing it on and off since last may. i saw a differece but i 'stuck' and wasnt losing for awhile.then i got lazy. anyway i gain some weight due to quiting smoking and im back to
    143.5 as of today. i want to be down to 125 that i was all my life before pregnancy.( i was actually 120lbs but i will be fine in about 123-125)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    alessakef wrote: »
    i had no idea about this jane. i have been doing it on and off since last may. i saw a differece but i 'stuck' and wasnt losing for awhile.then i got lazy. anyway i gain some weight due to quiting smoking and im back to
    143.5 as of today. i want to be down to 125 that i was all my life before pregnancy.

With that amount to lose, I would recommend a 0.5 lb/week rate of loss. Get a food scale to make sure your logging is accurate.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I put my height, the lbs i want to be (prepregnancy) and the max lbs i can lose a week and it gave me that amount

Did you also enter your current weight? If not, that calorie goal is based on starting at your goal weight and losing which is going to put you lower than you should be eating.
  • alessakef
    Options
    it used to say 1240 cal now says 1200 im so confused! plus i went to change it to 123lbs as my goal and still hasnt changed and i lost 40 daily cal
  • alessakef
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Did you also enter your current weight? If not, that calorie goal is based on starting at your goal weight and losing which is going to put you lower than you should be eating.

yes i did today
  • alessakef
    Options
    143.5 as of today. i want to be down to 125 that i was all my life before pregnancy.

You're pretty close to goal (although it probably doesn't feel like it). I would choose .5 a week as your goal for weight loss. You'll get to each more each day, so if you sometimes want something sweet and/or creamy to drink, it will probably be easier to fit in.

It will also help to be able to eat a bit more while your body is adjusting to giving up cigarettes (congratulations, by the way!).

no it doesnt feel this way! i was at the point very close to my goal i was 128 and with the christmas holidays and then quitting i got off track! i havent felt like me in almost 2.5y! :(:'(
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

How tall are you?

im 175cm/5'8 yeah i know im too tall for the lbs but i want to be myself again

Yes, keep in mind you are attempting to reach the bare bone minimum for a healthy BMI.
  • alessakef
    Options

How tall are you?

To maintain that weight you would eat 1,731 calories per day (give or take). Right now, your BMI is 21.7, which is in the normal range. Trying to drop to your 120 range would still give you a healthy BMI of 19 (low-normal) There are 3,500 calories in a pound, roughly.

So, 3,500/7 = 500
    1,731-500 = 1231

That many calories per day would result in 1lb per week loss, on average. Others are saying aim for .5lb per week, so...

1731-250 = 1,481 per day (more sustainable).

NOTE: This information came from TDEECalculator.net - I put you as sedentary and a 25 year old female. Might not be accurate whatsoever.

i wish i was 25 hahahaa back then i didnt have an issue. im 32 so my metabolism is slower.. quiting smoking didnt help either. so to understand that its better to do 0.5lbs a week.? am i going to lose it? or i might lose more?
    sorry im new to this and i never really diet in my life or count cal so im having hard time.

There really isn't that much of a metabolism change between 25 and 32, so this shouldn't be an obstacle.

Quitting smoking can lead to issues with hunger, but we have plenty of former smokers here who are maintaining their goal weight (including me), so don't let that discourage you either.

If you consistently achieve a calorie deficit, you will lose the weight. Sometimes there is a bit of a learning curve with understanding how to accurate estimate how many calories you're eating or burning through exercise, but if you have any questions people will be happy to help.

so my question except the original post because now i have more is should i move the lbs to 0.5 a week instead of the maximum? i feel like its literally nothing.
    at the moment also im not able to exercise due to the bad weather conditions(i dont want to drive 20' in snow at 5.30am)hopefully soon...
  • alessakef
    Options

How tall are you?

To maintain that weight you would eat 1,731 calories per day (give or take). Right now, your BMI is 21.7, which is in the normal range. Trying to drop to your 120 range would still give you a healthy BMI of 19 (low-normal) There are 3,500 calories in a pound, roughly.

So, 3,500/7 = 500
    1,731-500 = 1231

That many calories per day would result in 1lb per week loss, on average. Others are saying aim for .5lb per week, so...

1731-250 = 1,481 per day (more sustainable).

NOTE: This information came from TDEECalculator.net - I put you as sedentary and a 25 year old female. Might not be accurate whatsoever.

i wish i was 25 hahahaa back then i didnt have an issue. im 32 so my metabolism is slower.. quiting smoking didnt help either. so to understand that its better to do 0.5lbs a week.? am i going to lose it? or i might lose more?
    sorry im new to this and i never really diet in my life or count cal so im having hard time.

It's better to do .5lb per week as your goal because you get to eat about 250 calories more per day. That might seem insignificant but it can be the difference between giving up or not. It will take a bit longer but yes, you will lose. There are going to be days where you don't eat that much which will help push you ahead. You might lose more - I lost 6lbs in about a week just recently.

As long as you are consistent and accurately counting your calories and eating under your TDEE, you will lose weight. It can be hard to determine how much you need to eat, but that's all.

Think about it like this: You can lose .5lb this week or you can gain .5lb this week (or even more). For me, sometimes, all the motivation I need is to realize that I'm not gaining weight even if I stagnate for a little bit. Without counting calories, I'd easily start piling on the pounds...So on the worst of days, there is solace in that.

that makes sense what youre saying. so technically if i eat less than 1700 you said earlier i will lose weight and i dont have to go crazy with the 1200(i know now its 1200 because i guess i lost 40cal since i put my current weight) even when i was doint back in may this 1240cal count i never lost as much as you did :( i lost like 3lbs and then it seemed like a lbs a week sloooooowly