1200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• alessakef
    alessakef Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    so now i changed it to 1lbs a week and it shows me 1490cal daily. i will try this and see if i have to go 0.5
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    alessakef wrote: »
    i had no idea about this jane. i have been doing it on and off since last may. i saw a differece but i 'stuck' and wasnt losing for awhile.then i got lazy. anyway i gain some weight due to quiting smoking and im back to
    143.5 as of today. i want to be down to 125 that i was all my life before pregnancy.

How tall are you?

im 175cm/5'8 yeah i know im too tall for the lbs but i want to be myself again

To maintain that weight you would eat 1,731 calories per day (give or take). Right now, your BMI is 21.7, which is in the normal range. Trying to drop to your 120 range would still give you a healthy BMI of 19 (low-normal) There are 3,500 calories in a pound, roughly.

So, 3,500/7 = 500
    1,731-500 = 1231

That many calories per day would result in 1lb per week loss, on average. Others are saying aim for .5lb per week, so...

1731-250 = 1,481 per day (more sustainable).

NOTE: This information came from TDEECalculator.net - I put you as sedentary and a 25 year old female. Might not be accurate whatsoever.

i wish i was 25 hahahaa back then i didnt have an issue. im 32 so my metabolism is slower.. quiting smoking didnt help either. so to understand that its better to do 0.5lbs a week.? am i going to lose it? or i might lose more?
    sorry im new to this and i never really diet in my life or count cal so im having hard time.

It's better to do .5lb per week as your goal because you get to eat about 250 calories more per day. That might seem insignificant but it can be the difference between giving up or not. It will take a bit longer but yes, you will lose. There are going to be days where you don't eat that much which will help push you ahead. You might lose more - I lost 6lbs in about a week just recently.

As long as you are consistent and accurately counting your calories and eating under your TDEE, you will lose weight. It can be hard to determine how much you need to eat, but that's all.

Think about it like this: You can lose .5lb this week or you can gain .5lb this week (or even more). For me, sometimes, all the motivation I need is to realize that I'm not gaining weight even if I stagnate for a little bit. Without counting calories, I'd easily start piling on the pounds...So on the worst of days, there is solace in that.

that makes sense what youre saying. so technically if i eat less than 1700 you said earlier i will lose weight and i dont have to go crazy with the 1200(i know now its 1200 because i guess i lost 40cal since i put my current weight) even when i was doint back in may this 1240cal count i never lost as much as you did :( i lost like 3lbs and then it seemed like a lbs a week sloooooowly

A lb a week and if you stuck with it you'd be at your goal now; but 1200 was apparently too low so you couldn't. If you did .5lb a week then, you'd probably have maintained it and currently be at your GW eating around 1,600-1,700 calories, laughing with a donut in your hand. :tongue:

Words of wisdom for this Friday afternoon . . .
  • alessakef
    alessakef Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i had no idea about this jane. i have been doing it on and off since last may. i saw a differece but i 'stuck' and wasnt losing for awhile.then i got lazy. anyway i gain some weight due to quiting smoking and im back to
    143.5 as of today. i want to be down to 125 that i was all my life before pregnancy.

How tall are you?

im 175cm/5'8 yeah i know im too tall for the lbs but i want to be myself again

To maintain that weight you would eat 1,731 calories per day (give or take). Right now, your BMI is 21.7, which is in the normal range. Trying to drop to your 120 range would still give you a healthy BMI of 19 (low-normal) There are 3,500 calories in a pound, roughly.

So, 3,500/7 = 500
    1,731-500 = 1231

That many calories per day would result in 1lb per week loss, on average. Others are saying aim for .5lb per week, so...

1731-250 = 1,481 per day (more sustainable).

NOTE: This information came from TDEECalculator.net - I put you as sedentary and a 25 year old female. Might not be accurate whatsoever.

i wish i was 25 hahahaa back then i didnt have an issue. im 32 so my metabolism is slower.. quiting smoking didnt help either. so to understand that its better to do 0.5lbs a week.? am i going to lose it? or i might lose more?
    sorry im new to this and i never really diet in my life or count cal so im having hard time.

It's better to do .5lb per week as your goal because you get to eat about 250 calories more per day. That might seem insignificant but it can be the difference between giving up or not. It will take a bit longer but yes, you will lose. There are going to be days where you don't eat that much which will help push you ahead. You might lose more - I lost 6lbs in about a week just recently.

As long as you are consistent and accurately counting your calories and eating under your TDEE, you will lose weight. It can be hard to determine how much you need to eat, but that's all.

Think about it like this: You can lose .5lb this week or you can gain .5lb this week (or even more). For me, sometimes, all the motivation I need is to realize that I'm not gaining weight even if I stagnate for a little bit. Without counting calories, I'd easily start piling on the pounds...So on the worst of days, there is solace in that.

that makes sense what youre saying. so technically if i eat less than 1700 you said earlier i will lose weight and i dont have to go crazy with the 1200(i know now its 1200 because i guess i lost 40cal since i put my current weight) even when i was doint back in may this 1240cal count i never lost as much as you did :( i lost like 3lbs and then it seemed like a lbs a week sloooooowly

A lb a week and if you stuck with it you'd be at your goal now; but 1200 was apparently too low so you couldn't. If you did .5lb a week then, you'd probably have maintained it and currently be at your GW eating around 1,600-1,700 calories, laughing with a donut in your hand. :tongue:

hahaha oh yes it was low and this morning i grabbed some oatmeal i saw the little package of 160cal and im like uuuuuum no thats too much for damn oatmeals! plus my coffee at 100 hahaha and thats a lot when i have only this to eat because what am i going to eat for lunch/dinner? and you know veggies and fruits at the beginning makes me huuuuungry !
    thank you all so much and im happy i discover the forum even if it took me a year ahahah
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

With that amount to lose, I would recommend a 0.5 lb/week rate of loss. Get a food scale to make sure your logging is accurate.

half a pound? i wont lose this weight ever :(

You could probably set for 1 lb/week, until you have 10-15 lbs to go... but at your height you are a healthy weight, and 123 is probably too low...

why not set for 0.5lbs/week and lift weights, full body 3x/week and get adequate protein, and you may find your goal weight to be 135 since you wont lose as much muscle
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you're aiming for the very lowest end of a healthy BMI range for your height. You are already in an optimal BMI range.

Weight loss at this point happens very, very slowly. It's not realistic or healthy to expect a 2 lb/week loss when you're already at a healthy weight. For many of us, it wouldn't even be realistic to expect 0.5 lb/week. Losing more weight while already in a healthy range requires patience, and it typically requires meticulous weighing of all your food, as well as making certain any exercise calorie burns are realistic and not overstated.

Additionally, losing fat doesn't necessarily give everyone the appearance they want. Many people who are at a healthy weight are under the impression that weight loss will make them happier with their appearance, but since you can't spot reduce fat, there's no guarantee that you'll lose fat where you want to lose it.

For all these reasons, I recommend recomp instead of weight loss for people in a healthy BMI range. Recomp involves following a structured strength training program to build muscle and reduce fat. It makes most people happier with their appearance. It does not mean you'll get "bulky." See this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1