:\ Elliptical? Need some feedback from MFP....

Options
So i've been a bit tired of the treadmill.. usually I only go to the gym about 3 times a week and on Sundays for only one hour each time. My main focus is cardio.. I usually go on the treadmill and jog, walk on incline (repeat) for 40 minutes.. then I do 20 mins on the elliptical. I also do some weight lifting for about 15 minutes.

Anyway.. i'm on a 1,200 cal intake per day.. my diary is open to view for anyone to see :) however.. today I went on the elliptical, our gym has the PRECOR brand Ellipticals, and there is a "interval course" option.. so I did that today for 45 minutes and burned about 450 calories. I really liked the interval course.. I was thinking of switching it up and using the elliptical as my MAIN course of cardio.. but some people have responded to me saying "they haven't lost any weight on the elliptical, it didn't do much for them.. or it just somewhat made there legs a little bulky or toned, that's it." Anyone on here with success as using the elliptical for cardio on weight loss? Any responses are appreciated, THANKS MFP <3

Replies

• JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ME! My form of cardio has always been using the elliptical because I'm not much of a runner. I like to run now but still use the elliptical (and other methods of cardio) for weight loss. Using weights helps alot too. Best wishes!
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I personally love my elliptical. That has been my main source of cardio and i've lost 30 lbs so far along with changing the way i eat.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Last summer, I lost 30 lbs by counting calories & using the elliptical. Nothing else.

I did gain 15 of it back, but that's because I quit doing both. Now I'm back. LOL
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I cross train with an elliptical machine on occassion to save my knees when I've been doing too much running. As long as you set it at a challenging level by using an interval or hills setting you should be getting good burn. I wouldn't worry too much about your legs bulking up as a result of using it.

It's good to switch it up and try something different. I wouldn't do anything exclusively.
  • melsat
    melsat Posts: 14
    Options
    I spend 30 minutes on the eliptical every morning through the week. I like it a lot and I have lost 24 pounds doing that with a spin class about once a week. I also watch my calorie intake with MFP and drink at least 8 glasses of water if not more a day. You should try it and see. I used to be stuck on the treadmill forever and I think the eliptical gives me a better workout. Good luck!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical last year and lost 30 pounds. That is all I used. This year I am using the elliptical, treadmill, and stationary bike combined and have lost 10 lbs so far. I think that if you work hard enough on any cardio machine, you will lose weight. Just do what is most comfortable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So i've been a bit tired of the treadmill.. usually I only go to the gym about 3 times a week and on Sundays for only one hour each time. My main focus is cardio.. I usually go on the treadmill and jog, walk on incline (repeat) for 40 minutes.. then I do 20 mins on the elliptical. I also do some weight lifting for about 15 minutes.

Anyway.. i'm on a 1,200 cal intake per day.. my diary is open to view for anyone to see :) however.. today I went on the elliptical, our gym has the PRECOR brand Ellipticals, and there is a "interval course" option.. so I did that today for 45 minutes and burned about 450 calories. I really liked the interval course.. I was thinking of switching it up and using the elliptical as my MAIN course of cardio.. but some people have responded to me saying "they haven't lost any weight on the elliptical, it didn't do much for them.. or it just somewhat made there legs a little bulky or toned, that's it." Anyone on here with success as using the elliptical for cardio on weight loss? Any responses are appreciated, THANKS MFP <3
    If you're relying on the calorie count on these machines to be accurate, then think again. Most gym machines are used so much the calibrations are totally off. Ellipticals are fine as long as the resistance is up. Level 1 through 6 ain't doing much.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is all i've used for my weightloss besides some Jillian Michaels dvds. Its my favorite cardio machine!