How to not gain weight if I get pregnant?

Options

Replies

• dsg2000
    dsg2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had two pregnancies now. I started both at a normal BMI, and being very active (running+weights). I gained 35ish pounds the first time around, likely closer to 40+ the second time around. I continued being active and eating relatively healthily throughout both pregnancies (more so the first time around than the second). With my first I was back to about the same weight within 5 weeks of birth; with the second I was at about 15 pounds over my normal weight at 6 weeks postpartum, and have been back to logging again and steadily losing that since then - now, at 3 months postpartum, I'm within five pounds of my prepregnancy weight.

While I was very worried about the weight I might gain during pregnancy, especially before my first, I have now come to realize that if you eat pretty healthy and stay relatively active (if the pregnancy permits - mine were normal and I was able to be active), the pregnancy weight does come off. Breastfeeding does help. Getting back to an active routine postpartum also helps. The one thing I will add is that despite the weight coming off, the body does change - I didn't have the same core strength after my first that I did before, and my shape changed as well even though I was at the same weight. However, I'm sure this will also get better with time and effort.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    About your shape changing:
    Pregnancy loosens your ligaments. A lot, in the case of your pelvis. I know a lot of women who have found that their skeletons are permanently altered -- rib cages wider, pelvis a bit different. This isn't something you can prevent with exercise or necessarily get back with exercise.

(it's also a reason to get back into activity gently and take your time; it takes awhile for the ligaments to tighten up. I felt great at about 2 weeks postpartum and took the baby for a long walk. By the end, I could feel my pelvic bones shifting against each other really uncomfortably. "Feeling good" doesn't mean you should go all-in, excerise wise!)
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sounds to me like OP is already a mom... and I don’t know that trying to preserve health gains with kid #2 is vain. But i agree with everyone that consulting with health care professionals about how much weight to shoot to gain is probably the way to go, and is based on current weight. Also, barring medically challenging pregnancies, there should be no reason not to keep exercising throughout. I loved walking throughout both my pregnancies, as well as water aerobics, swimming, elliptical, and other things (I’m a runner now, wasn’t then). It helped me to think of labor as a big physical challenge I needed to fuel appropriately and train for in terms of endurance 😀

ETA: I lost all my pregnancy weight effortlessly with #1 by 4-5 months postpartum because of nursing. The second one was tougher because I was working full time and had my oldest and wasn’t prioritizing my health, but I don’t regret it! And now (they’re 10 & 16), my weight is lower than it was back then, and nothing has felt terribly hard.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn’t have a baby yet
    Perhaps do some more research
    My thought exactly.

• simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That sounds really really tough! It seems like talking through all of the issues with a counselor would be really worthwhile for your thinking about all of these decisions and for your healing more generally. Pregnancies can be taxing on mental health as well as physical health, and getting some more personal feedback and perspective about your specific circumstances seems like it would be a good idea.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi I am thinking about having a baby. I’m worried about gaining weight. I’ve been losing weight for the last four years and I was wondering if I keep doing what I’m doing will I gain weight if I get pregnant and after my baby is born? I would love another baby but i haven’t made a decision yet on whether to try for another baby. I do a 8km walk most days if not most every day of the week. And I’m eating less and I’m under my daily calorie intake recommended total every day.

25-30 lbs gain is normal - you should remember that from your first. I remember reading when pregnant, it’s a misunderstood theme to “eat for two”. And that pregnant women really only need to eat the additional calorie amount found in an orange. And orange! 🍊
    That really helped keep things in perspective for me when pregnant.

I gained 32lbs. But I was already fluffy and then not enough of it came off - hence... I’m here! 🥰

Take a few days of your logs and show your doctor. See what they say. My doctor never told me I needed to be sure to eat. Like it’s just known people already eat and eat enough for your body to make a baby. However one thing I cannot stress enough is WATER. You will drink more water and need more water than you ever have in your life but I’m sure you know this!

It’s doable and practical and healthy to eat well in pregnancy. Also... exercise/move a lot. Many pregnant women still exercise until it’s uncomfortable with their tummies and then keep walking. If you have a child already that will be easy. Kids love to move.

Best of luck xo
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be so hard being separated from Blake. From what you have said a agree with others that you are not in the right mental space to have another child, as pregnancy, birth and dealing with a baby are very taxing on our mental health. Having another could easily result in you losing custody with both and that would be worse than where you are currently at. Also, having another child will not ease the pain of losing custody of Blake. Nothing will take away that pain.

Good luck with your journey forward. I hope you and your partner reach a point where Blake is returned to you.

• ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I have decided to wait for Blake to hopefully be returned. I will be doing dialectical behaviour therapy for my borderline personality disorder. I am seeing a psychologist. I’m doing relapse prevention. I will also be doing a parenting program. Thank you for everyone’s comments. I won’t be having another baby

<3<3<3:*
    I'm so happy to hear that.

In these situations, I like to put up a link for anyone who might be reading with similar issues.

https://www.sane.org/mental-health-and-illness/facts-and-guides/dialectical-behaviour-therapy-dbt

My sincere best wishes.

Thank you for the information about dbt and my borderline personality disorder. It has helped a lot
  • ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be so hard being separated from Blake. From what you have said a agree with others that you are not in the right mental space to have another child, as pregnancy, birth and dealing with a baby are very taxing on our mental health. Having another could easily result in you losing custody with both and that would be worse than where you are currently at. Also, having another child will not ease the pain of losing custody of Blake. Nothing will take away that pain.

Good luck with your journey forward. I hope you and your partner reach a point where Blake is returned to you.

It’s horrible being without Blake and for a good couple of years it made my mental health worse being separated from Blake. My mental health is better now then it has been in over 20 years. I don’t think I ever said I’m mentally unwell now. I was but not now. I have decided not to have another baby due to people’s comments. But I did not say I’m not in the right mental space to have another baby. Maybe a year to 20 years ago I wasn’t. But my mental health is better than ever. Maybe I should have not posted a question like I did. I was never trying to have another child to ease the pain that’s why it’s 4 and a half years later and I still haven’t had a child