Cooking canned meat? Corned beef, spam, chicken?

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
What do you do with canned meat like corned beef or salmon or anything? Do you cook it or eat it out of the can? Any recipes? I received a can of corned beef and also of salmon. Thanks!

Replies

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I make corned beef hash with eggs with canned corned beef. Loaded with calories, but a super delicious supper! Canned salmon goes to the kitties after I remove the bones; I tried making salmon salad for a sandwhich, but didn't like it. Canned chicken I make chicken salad for sanwiches, add it to a nice green salad, or add it to home made soup for extra protein.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Cook em

Spam ...fried
    Corned beef.. boiled with cubed potatoes and carrots
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I always cook meat out of a can (except tuna, sometimes).

I cook corned beef with some extra home fries in a cast iron skillet and serve it with eggs for breakfast.

Spam is very versatile. I prefer to buy the "less sodium" version. Sometimes I just pan fry it and eat it straight or sometimes I add it to a grilled cheese. I have also made Spam Fried Rice, which is surprisingly good. I have also used Spam in Ramen and Potato Soup.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat canned salmon and I usually sautee with peppers, onions and Adobe seasonings. I eat with salad.

I also make salmon patties as well. I dont deep fry them.

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use canned salmon or canned salmon to make fish cakes....

And corn beef for corn beef hash - its even better with betroot and cougette in the hash mix.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I make yummy salmon cakes using canned salmon. They are perfect for lunch, either with a bun as a sammie or on top of a bed of greens. There are plenty of good recipes out there to look for. I don't deep fry mine...I pan fry them in a bit of olive oil.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh I've got a super corned beef, red onion and sweetcorn hash recipe......all in one meal for around 420 cals per serving.

Serves 4 - works out at a cost of £1.15 per person.

500g Charlotte [waxy potatoes] halved
    2tbsp olive oil
    1 large red onion, finely chopped
    340g can corned beef
    330g can of sweetcorn, drained
    1tbsp chilli sauce [I like using sweet chilli sauce]
    chopped parsley

METHOD:
    1. Cook potatoes in boiling water until just tender. Meanwhile heat half the oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook 5 mins until soft. Drain potatoes and when cool enough to handle cutthem in half again.

2. Mix potatoes, onion, corned beef, sweetcorn, parsley , chilli sauce and seasoning together in a mixing bowl. Heat remaining oil in large non-stick frying pan. Add corned beef mixture. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to brown up.

3. Preheat grill. Squash mixture into pancake shape. Place the pan under the grill for 3-4 mins. to brown the top.

Lovely served with fine green beans
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    The same girlfriend who showed me the "fry tinned sardines in the oil from the can" trick also warms up smoked mackerel in the microwave for a quick pantry meal. Serve with plenty of lemon.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm cutting way back on sodium lately so no Spam for me (I'll need to figure out what to do with last year's hurricane supply....) but I used to slice it thin, rinse the slices a bit then pat dry and fry in a pan. It's good just like that on rice, or you can dice it up and use it in eggs or on salads like ham.

Sardines...I freakin love sardines but that could be a topic on its own. A lot depends on what kind of course since they come in so many different flavors can vary wildly by brand. King Oscar is pretty generally accepted as being the most consistently quality, sustainably caught brand that won't hurt your bank account much at usually under three dollars.

Cheaper sardines I'll treat just like tuna salad or toss in pasta, the good kind are excellent on toast with avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Or even just to snack on with crackers. (Over the kitchen sink in your underwear if you want to cosplay a dad.)

If you object to the fishiness than a good dijon mustard or hot sauce help, but my favorite thing to do with them used to be frying potatoes and onions in the sardine oil in a pan, mixing in the sardines themselves once those were soft, then cracking a couple eggs on top and slapping down the lid to steam them.

The only thing objectional to my calorie budget now would be the oil, so I may have to experiment around sometime with making the same dish in other ways. It would cook just fine in the oven I'm sure, I believe that's how fisherman's eggs are traditionally made anyhow.

Oh and although I haven't been able to try it yet, I've always heard there's nothing quite like sardines in a good shakshuka.
    I make yummy salmon cakes using canned salmon. They are perfect for lunch, either with a bun as a sammie or on top of a bed of greens. There are plenty of good recipes out there to look for. I don't deep fry mine...I pan fry them in a bit of olive oil.

Ooh, these were a staple in our home when I was growing up. Still the only thing I know how to do with canned salmon but I always keep one or two on hand just in case I get nostalgic. My mom would just mix in salt, pepper, garlic powder and diced onions, sometimes (cooked) diced potatoes too if she was trying to stretch it farther. Then roll in crushed saltines and fry. I've seen recipes pouring on cheese or tartar sauce for some reason but we always just use lemon slices.
    Spinach with sliced boiled eggs on it was always the side for some reason, sometimes paired with mac n cheese. (Something to get excited about when I was a kid, although I'd skip it now...)
  • blueice1990
    blueice1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try half of a can of canned chicken, add an avacado and some spices, a little onion and celery and it makes a really good chicken salad!
  • karld70
    karld70 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i take tinned salmon and put it with tinned sweetcorn, tinned kidney beans and chopped red pepper... then mix some paprika and a pinch or cayenne pepper or some mild chilli in some passata or even some ketchup.. and mix the lot together to make a sort of cold mexican salmon salad....delicious.

alternatively mix 50/50 mayo and ketchup and add curry powder.....trust me it makes a delicous cold curry sauce to mix with canned meat of all types.
  • karld70
    Options
    someone please try the curry one to confirm im not mad :p go for mild curry powder (unless your a hot head) and dont be shy with it
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Spam i use to make a sandwich
  • karld70
    Options
    man, thats just crazy talk !
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Spam fried in a dry pan, best camping food ever, and also Hormel’s canned corned beef hash. Very bad for you, but scrummy!
    I eat canned tuna frequently.
    I hate canned salmon and have since I was a child.
  • justagem2
    justagem2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Saute corned beef in oil with onions, diced bell peppers, season to your taste with, seasoned salt, salt, pepper etc. (I like to use a bullion cube) Serve over rice. Delicious!