Galloway Run/Walk/Run Method

Options
13»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I figured it was just an alternate method for normal LISS aerobic run.

And interval training still it's own beast is good way to put it.

In fact, I'd suggest if the jog/walks are allowing better recovery and not stressing so much - you might be able to do interval training if not, or better at it when done.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I figured it was just an alternate method for normal LISS aerobic run.

And interval training still it's own beast is good way to put it.

In fact, I'd suggest if the jog/walks are allowing better recovery and not stressing so much - you might be able to do interval training if not, or better at it when done.

Galloway is like a lot of others in that regard. He suggests one speed session per week, one tempo run, and a long run for the minimum three runs per week.
  • piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for introducing me to this method. This is the answer to getting back into running after minor knee injury. Running has always been my one true love and at 68 you have to think about high and low impact exercises. This will work!
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    @piddings1951 I’m happy it has you back on the road. Today was an exceptionally happy run. My earbuds konked out so I went for a 10 mile run unplugged. I’m not training for anything so I simply ran at whatever pace felt easy. I did a 4:1 run:walk ratio. It was just great to be outside. I got home and wasn’t pooped out.
    I hope you have many good runs ahead.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Does anyone who uses this method do it with something other than a smartwatch that has a timer option? Mine doesn't, and if it's sunny, it can be hard to read the device.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I use a Timex Ironman that has an interval timing ability - up to 9 intervals (only use 2 for this though), and repeat at end of 2nd one.

I use it so first segment is running, it does a string of beeps at end of that one. 2nd segment is single beep while walking.
    Makes it easiest for me to hear in either case.

I don't carry smartphone anyway.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I used to do it based on the songs on my playlist. Run for two songs, walk for one.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Over the last few years, my training partners and I have adopted a 4minute,1minute run/walk strategy for Ironman training, as well as some of our marathon training runs. Several of us started out by trying a 9min run /1 minute interval, but found that we achieved better results on our Sunday long runs when taking more frequent walk breaks (4:1). This may be partly due to the timing of our training days. Each Saturday was typically a long bike ride(4-5 hrs) followed by a transition run, so we were fairly fatigued on Sundays as we prepared for a long run following our swim.

With that said, the 4:1 interval was also preferred by our group during marathon work. The mental game was easier, since we felt like "you can always hang on for 4 minutes" no matter how fatigued we became during long efforts.

We designate one person as the "Time Keeper" and set a Garmin to beep at the prescribed intervals. Its become our normal routine for high mileage and/or recovery runs.
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    Does anyone who uses this method do it with something other than a smartwatch that has a timer option? Mine doesn't, and if it's sunny, it can be hard to read the device.

My Garmin has a run/walk timer but I don't like it because I need to look at my watch - it vibrates but I can't feel it consistently. I found an app (apple) called RunWalkIntervals (it shows part of a stopwatch as the icon). You pair it to your earbuds. It will give you a voice and tone signal for each interval. I like this a lot.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

I have an app on my phone called Seconds Pro. I created a tabata that has the intervals preset. I named the sets so that it tells me "Run" and "Walk".
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I used to do it based on the songs on my playlist. Run for two songs, walk for one.

Oo, I think I could set mine up to do this!
    I have an app on my phone called Seconds Pro. I created a tabata that has the intervals preset. I named the sets so that it tells me "Run" and "Walk".

I will look into this, but I have a "dumbphone" and my mobile device that no longer gets service is an iPhone FOUR, so a lot of apps won't work on it. Apparently everyone thinks it has cooties or something XD
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

My Garmin has a run/walk timer but I don't like it because I need to look at my watch - it vibrates but I can't feel it consistently. I found an app (apple) called RunWalkIntervals (it shows part of a stopwatch as the icon). You pair it to your earbuds. It will give you a voice and tone signal for each interval. I like this a lot.

I'm intrigued by this. Do you need to carry the phone with you, or will it work with the Watch?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Been doing 5:15 run and walk 0:45 for 60 minutes in my journey of getting back in the game and running a scheduled 10k in late July. Interesting is that the greatest distance covered was a couple months ago when I did 3:15 run and 0:45 walk for 60 minutes. The run was at a faster pace. Believe it's important to find the ratio that works best for where you're at and adjust it as your body is ready. I'm sticking with 5:15/0:45 until I have passed my best distance for 60 minutes and then I'll make an adjustment. I believe I'm almost there.
  • garystrickland357
    Options

I'm intrigued by this. Do you need to carry the phone with you, or will it work with the Watch?

You have to carry your phone. I always do anyway. I use a SPIBelt.