Gaining weight on 1300-1500calories

Options
Carolfp
Carolfp Posts: 42 Member
Hello MFP peeps. I've been tracking my calories and exercising 3-4 times a week for over a month. (Weights and cardio). I'm also doing IF 16-8.
I have measured every meal, except the one off cheat once a week.

I haven't lost weight at all! Stuck at 67.7kgs (I'm 160cm tall and goal weight is 57kgs).

What could be causing this? Does anyone have any insight or advice?
I'm so discouraged today after weighing in and noticing I out on 1.5-2kgs since my last weigh in (66.9).

Replies

• Carolfp
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, really helpful advice.
    Do you recommend having a cheat meal once a week? Or is that not the best thing to do anymore? The first time I tried to lose weight (from 70kgs down to 59kgs) I'd never have a cheat day but it made me so depressed that I went back to eating crap (hence why I'm here again).
  • Carolfp
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    The scale is one of the biggest deceivers, especially when you're lifting. Think more about how your clothes are fitting and how your body feels. Are you keeping track of your measurements? Remember, a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat so if your muscle mass is increasing and your fat is decreasing, you may weigh the same for a bit but that doesn't mean the changes aren't happening.

Thanks this is encouraging, things do fit a little bit better but the scale doesn't budge, just keeps going up and down then back up again. How often do you recommend doing measurements?

Thanks for your time :)

• Carolfp
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You say you are measuring everything "except your one cheat meal". The calories in your cheat meal count just as much as the calories in anything else. If you are far overeating during your cheat meal, that could be a potential cause.

Weight often fluctuates, especially for women around their cycle. So if you are uo suddenly there can be a lot of reasons why. The overall trend should hopefully go down though. What has your weigh in been each week this last month?

rkg73wa3cijy.jpg
  • Carolfp
    Options
    I think you're right and I'm failing to see the small changes because I often compare myself to others who have managed to loose the weight more quickly. My friends have managed to lose approx 10kgs in two months by just counting calories. And I'm here like "damnit!!" :( Lol
    Ill try to weigh my meals instead of measuring things and install those apps!
    Thank you all!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    1 - if you do'nt use a food scale you don't really know how much you are eating. so yes absoultely start weighing everyting
    2 - a cheat day un-calculated can absolutely cancel an entire week's worth of deficit. Can you have a chat day? well yes but look at the math. KNOW how much over you are going, and see if that leaves you with a deficit for the week or not. In other words look at the weekly calories VS daily.

i don't do cheat days. I do cheat meals over my loss rate about once every 2-3 months. I'll try ot keep it at maintenace calories. In the meantime I make foods I like fit day to day (ex: dessert, chocolate) WITHIN my daily calorie goal. For special meals I may save caloreis over 2-3 days and cut snacks. Often i can make things fit in though.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Carolfp wrote: »
    I think you're right and I'm failing to see the small changes because I often compare myself to others who have managed to loose the weight more quickly. My friends have managed to lose approx 10kgs in two months by just counting calories. And I'm here like "damnit!!" :( Lol
    Ill try to weigh my meals instead of measuring things and install those apps!
    Thank you all!

10 kg in 2 months is not a healthy pace of fat loss for anyone unless they have a VERY large amount to lose and are under strict medical supervision. It's very common for people to lose a large amount of water weight quickly when they begin a calorie deficit, and hopefully this is what's happening with your friends.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Carolfp wrote: »
    Hello MFP peeps. I've been tracking my calories and exercising 3-4 times a week for over a month. (Weights and cardio). I'm also doing IF 16-8.
    I have measured every meal, except the one off cheat once a week.

I haven't lost weight at all! Stuck at 67.7kgs (I'm 160cm tall and goal weight is 57kgs).

What could be causing this? Does anyone have any insight or advice?
    I'm so discouraged today after weighing in and noticing I out on 1.5-2kgs since my last weigh in (66.9).

You are “cheating” once a week that could make the difference. You might be making errors in cal logging. Even one mint can have 40 cals. Log all vitamins too. Don’t do a cheat day, get a food scale and metal measuring cups, note the line inside the cup. Pay close attention to everything you are drinking.