First day of Intermittent Fasting

Options
After years of letting things go, took my first step towards better health today.
With my doctor's suggestion, I'm trying intermittent fasting, but definitely want to keep track of calories and activity.

Replies

• Ryewhisky75
    Ryewhisky75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Its very hard to do! I was fine with fasting until the usual recommended 10-11AM. But coffee! I was a grumpasaurus without my coffee first thing in the morning lol. I have been able to cut down to one cup a day (Used to have 3-4 cups a day). So it's a start, maybe one day if I can cut that last cup out I can try the fasting again :) Good luck to you!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Its very hard to do! I was fine with fasting until the usual recommended 10-11AM. But coffee! I was a grumpasaurus without my coffee first thing in the morning lol. I have been able to cut down to one cup a day (Used to have 3-4 cups a day). So it's a start, maybe one day if I can cut that last cup out I can try the fasting again :) Good luck to you!

You don't need to cut out coffee to do IF?
    mspaulina wrote: »
    After years of letting things go, took my first step towards better health today.
    With my doctor's suggestion, I'm trying intermittent fasting, but definitely want to keep track of calories and activity.

Welcome! It's a good idea to keep track of calories, as a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss and some people can do IF but still eat too much. It will also make sure you aren't under eating, which is possible if you aren't used to eating in a shorter period of time.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, and good luck!
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As Kinny said —there’s nothing stopping you from drinking coffee during IF...

I personally really like IF but that’s because I have always kind of done so naturally anyway so it suits me. I also do regular 24 hour fasts and really like how I feel when I do that. It works for some but others don’t feel able to go so long without food.

Like Kinny also said, what matters is how much calories you consume so, whether you consume too many calories in one meal or in several meals...it’s still too many calories. So as long as you are on a deficit, you don’t need to do IF. It’s all about personal preferences.

Good luck.
  • happylee1245
    happylee1245 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying IF too. At least go 12 hours first. I usually get hungry after midnight which is something I have to stop. Today is my first day! Lots of success to you all.
  • ButterIsGood
    ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your IF. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mspaulina wrote: »

Did your doctor sy why IF and not just a calorie deficit?