Tempo Run Today

Options
I have a 6 mile Tempo Run today and looking for advice. I currently run at 6.0 pace which is 10 minutes a mile. What format do you suggest I use when Tempo Running the 6 miles?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any advice but this is something I would definitely like to know as I will be starting this within the next few days so.............bump.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How much effort is that 10 min/mile pace for you? Typically a 6 mile tempo would be broke up to 1 mile warm up, 4 miles "hard" 1 mile cool down.
    Now "hard" is a relative term. You want to push yourself just into a slightly uncomfortable area, but one you can maintain as well. Assuming your 10 min pace is fairly easy, I would try to run your tempo pace at 30-45 secs faster and see how that feels.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Tempo pace is best described as "controlled discomfort". You shouldn't be gasping for breath, but you shouldn't be able to talk. Generally it will translate to race pace, so if you have a target, push for that.

I agree with Rybo, do the first and last mile at your usual pace. You might want to take a break in the middle too if it's your first session.

I find tempo sessions harder than anything, even sprint or hill repeats, but adding them has improved my running fitness more than anything else.
  • beachbum0819
    Options
    Great advice from Berry and Rybo. Thank you both. Yes, 6.0 is "comfortable pace" i have found out. So if you would like for me to run the "hard" 4 miles 30-45 secs faster, what would i set the pace to then? Would it be 6.5 or 7.0?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Rather than pre-determine a speed do it on the scale of Rate of Perceived Exertion. On a scale of 1-10, if your normal 6mph pace is a 6, aim for 8.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Great advice from Berry and Rybo. Thank you both. Yes, 6.0 is "comfortable pace" i have found out. So if you would like for me to run the "hard" 4 miles 30-45 secs faster, what would i set the pace to then? Would it be 6.5 or 7.0?

what do you normally run 6 miles in.. like your best time or average time...?
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey so this is a good link to look at if you are starting out doing tempo runs to help you know your pace

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-265-12224-0,00.html

Remember it is all about uncomfortable but not impossible in that "hard" stage. It will take you a few tempo runs to work out what your pace is and it will constantly be adjusted and improvised. Do you have a device, like an iphone or bodybug that can let you know your pace etc as you are running? I find this the most useful thing so I don't "trail off" in the middle of my "hard" phase. :)

Good luck! x
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Tempo is usually about 3 - 4 miles, solid effort. Once you have all your paces down (based on prior races) it will be something close to your half marathon pace.

Coming from a 10 minute mile easy run, I'd try 9:00 mile and see how that works.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Another variation on the Tempo run that is slightly different than what the others already mentioned is to run your first mile at your comfy pace (10:00mm), and gradually increasing your speed until you reach your peak speed at the halfway point (let's say 9:00mm). Your peak speed need only be achieved for a minute or two, and then gradually decreasing your speed until your last mile, which should be a comfy cooldown pace. Generally speaking, the middle 4 miles would look like an inverted "V" on a graph.

This would just be a variation on the "maintain a steady faster speed" method.