Please Help this Salsa Addict...

Options
Hi. I'm new to MFP. I'm having a problem...I'm addicted to salsa which isn't bad, since it's just vegetables and I make my own from my garden...very low cal. The problem is the vehichle in which I eat the salsa....Hint of Lime Tostitos! I haven't had any in a week but now my Tomatillo's are starting to be picked from the garden and I'm about to make my all time favorite salsa I dunno what to do??? I'm really not a big junk food eater but CHIPS AND SALSA are my most guilty pleasure...and honestly it's the salsa I'm really after I just can't think of anything else to eat it in.

Any ideas?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat it on celery or carrot slices! On chicken breasts, salads... all kinds of things!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to the whole grain tostitos or the baked ones?? Buy the big bag, then set portions in smaller baggies. You'll never make it if you don't allow yourself to eat your favorite.
  • smeyerdirk
    Options
    Eat them in moderation, only allow yourself one serving. I am a potato chip nut and haven't cut them out of my diet because they are so yummy :bigsmile: and I still lose weight so why not. Good luck!
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Make your own pita chips. I cut whole wheat pitas into the chip size that I want, put them on a cookie sheet and bake them until they're crispy. About 15 minutes at 350 degrees. You can also split the pitas in half before you bake them.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i actually love salsa on poached eggs.
    Also as a topping while baking chicken...
    also delicious on baked sweet potato (or regular potatoes too)

baked pita chips (easy to find recipes to make your own healthy versions abound online) are awesome as well *s*
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Salsa on eggs is fabulous! Poached or scrambled or however you like them. Eat it with celery sticks. Pour it on chicken and bake, although not too spicy because salsa gets spicier when you cook it....
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Toast Pita or tortillas. Overall healthier, still high on salt if that is a concern.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Make your own pita chips. I cut whole wheat pitas into the chip size that I want, put them on a cookie sheet and bake them until they're crispy. About 15 minutes at 350 degrees. You can also split the pitas in half before you bake them.

I love this idea! thanks for sharing!
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? TJ's has baked blue corn tortilla chips that aren't too bad...maybe a little internet research to see who sells lower cal/fat chips. Would it be too odd to eat it on slices of red/orange/yellow bell peppers? You can eat the salsa on egg beaters or whatever really...I bet it would be good on eggs...

:smile:
  • melissabee31
    Options
    on fish tacos, any kind of taco?

Like others have said, let yourself eat it or you will go crazy. I still eat ice cream. I just eat 1/2 cup instead of half the gallon :) Having 9 chips with salsa is better than 0!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    portion out a serving of chips and eat the salsa off the chips so you can reuse the chips for a couple dunks.

I am totally with you on the salsa love, only on chips though . . .
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I love those hint of lime ones too. I love me some salsa. I buy the fresh kind and use it on everything. I make homemade quesadillas for lunch a lot and dump it on top. I also put it on burgers and things I used to use Ketchup with.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    i like the idea of trying to make my own chips. I do eat salsa on eggs already. I put it on turkey burgers, tacos etc. I'm looking for more snacking ideas because sometimes I want the salsa to be my main flavor and not really just have it as a condiment. I've never tried it as a dip for veggies, will try that also. I'm literally afriad to open the bag of chips, because while I have a lot of control (my husband works for M&M Mars and our house is FULL of candy because they give it out like crazy at work and I control myself with that), I honestly don't think I could stop at 1 serving of chips. I could maybe do two servings. I take huge heaping scoops of the salsa to try and cut down on chips LOL. In the winter when i buy the pre-made salsa (the fresh kind in the tubs) it's not abnormal for me to eat half a tub of salsa in one day. Dividing the bag into smaller bags right away is a good idea, I might be able to control it if I do that.

I'm not too concerned with salt, my doctor tells me to add salt to stuff because of some abnormalities that usually come up in my bloodwork. Although he reccomends I get it from foods like pickles and not chips :)
  • greensnow
    Options
    Iceberg lettuce leaves? :)
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Salsa is good on slices of cucumber.
  • kmumansky
    Options
    Iceberg lettuce leaves? :)

OMG! GREAT idea...I can't even remember the last time I ate iceberg lettuce because its so tasteless and has no nutritional value...but it's crunchy and mostly water...so potentially perfect for this!

Cucumber is also a great idea as I'm picking 10 a week from my garden!

Seriously you guys are great! I couldn't think beyond the chip...
  • Stumbleine
    Stumbleine Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way when it comes to chips and salsa, I can't get enough! The chips that I've switched to is a brand called Garden of Eatin'. They have whole grain blue corn tortilla chips that are low in sodium and have nice things added like flax seed.
  • kmumansky
    Options
    I am the exact same way when it comes to chips and salsa, I can't get enough! The chips that I've switched to is a brand called Garden of Eatin'. They have whole grain blue corn tortilla chips that are low in sodium and have nice things added like flax seed.

Those are good I've had them before! :)
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    A few people mentioned Kale chips on MFP and say that it is sooo good.....I have yet to try it! I will try and find you the recipe....do you mind sharing a homemade salsa recipe....I usually buy it store bought...but would love to try making it!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using slices of cucumber instead of chips! It's sooo delicious!

Also, I put salsa on everything - fish, eggs, meat, and I've heard peach salsa is great on cottage cheese. I also love it mixed in with beans (kidney beans, chickpeas, etc).... Also on salads!