Keto discussion

Options
What about KETO diet... Can we set up daily

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I wonder why the word keto might rile up people? Help me with this please...Keto Flu. I am not experiencing it yesterday or today because I decided to take a break these two days. That notwithstanding, I really suffer during the week. I do Intermittent Fasting along with " trying" to do keto during the week. I get nauseated, dizzy and have the worst headache ever. I first thought it was a sinus headache but then why don't I have headache today?. I think it is the keto flu. I looked up the symptoms. Is this going to last for the duration? I don't know how much more I can take. I eat at 12 noon after 16 hours of not eating. My blood glucose before eating average in the 60's.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    sandymh22 wrote: »
    What about KETO diet... Can we set up daily

Are you referring to setting up your macros? Or for net carbs?

Macros, if you go into settings, update diet/profile, you can change your macros to whatever percentage you would like. As for net carbs, you can't set net carbs on the app, but there is an add on script that is available for the website. I'm not sure if it will show up in the app once you have it set up on the website. You would need to search the forums for the link to the script. I think it comes from r/keto (reddit).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes. Keto macros are usually:

Carbs 0-10%, but may go higher if you are eating to gain or maintain. Most are under 20-50g.

Protein 15-35% in most. An easy bet is to get about 0.8-1 g of protein for every pound you weigh ( when near a normal bmi).

Fat is usually 60-80% of total calories. In grams, it is often close to your protein gial
    I wonder why the word keto might rile up people? Help me with this please...Keto Flu. I am not experiencing it yesterday or today because I decided to take a break these two days. That notwithstanding, I really suffer during the week. I do Intermittent Fasting along with " trying" to do keto during the week. I get nauseated, dizzy and have the worst headache ever. I first thought it was a sinus headache but then why don't I have headache today?. I think it is the keto flu. I looked up the symptoms. Is this going to last for the duration? I don't know how much more I can take. I eat at 12 noon after 16 hours of not eating. My blood glucose before eating average in the 60's.

Keto flu is an electrolyte imbalance. When you drop carbs your insulin will fall, and it is insulin that causes water and electrolyte retention . The headaches, muscle aches , fatigue, brain fog, nausea and BM issues usually resolve quickly if you make sure to get at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt. Eating extra salt with water, or having a couple of cups of salty broth usually fixes it.
  • LCplTrey
    LCplTrey Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You aren't getting enough electrolytes and vitamin and minerals in your diet. You need to make sure you are getting enough sodium, magnesium, and potassium. Here is some more information on the Keto Flu:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/keto-flu-symptoms#bottom-line
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LCplTrey wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »

Keto in and of itself doesn't rile people up here. If someone wants to do the ketogenic way of eating, that is fine. If you like those foods and you can eat them and feel full in moderation so that you have a calorie deficit that causes weight loss, that's great. Our (and I do not presume to speak for the community as large, but this is what I have noticed that some others and I seem to think) issue is with all of the misinformation and non-factual claims that come along usually when someone talks about Keto.

Keto is not a magic pill diet that allows you lose weight no matter what you eat. It doesn't have any special fat burning powers from ketosis that is not caused by a calorie deficit. People on keto can lose weight the same as people on any other diet, but they do not have a special advantage with it (besides dropping some water weight from restricting carb access, which will be put on again as soon as the person stops with Keto). It doesn't have special health benefits for people who are not medically prescribed it, besides that which accompanies weight loss in general. We don't like how the diet is sold as having these things, and how many dieters are led into thinking that dieting with Keto is the only way to lose weight.

We also don't like the demonization of carbs that comes along with Keto. We don't like how carbs are portrayed as this evil thing that is harming our health and stopping weight loss, when these claims do not have scientific backing. We also don't like how the negative side effects of cutting out carbs, such as the "keto flu", and other potential health issues are ignored.

So we don't have a problem with people choosing to eat in a Keto way. We just have issues with the exaggerations and false claims surrounding the diet that seems to accompany most Keto-centric discussions.

1. Stopping any diet or exercise regime will cause you to gain back weight. That is why all of these things are called lifestyle changes, you aren't meant to stop doing them completely.
    2. Some carbs are in fact bad. Sugar isn't healthy for you and also rots your teeth. This is proven. Keto doesn't demonize all carbs, in fact it fully encourages the eating of as many high fiber vegetables as possible.
    3. The keto flu is due to not getting enough magnesium, sodium, and potassium in the diet. This is easily solved by adjusting the foods a person eats or supplementing with vitamins, just like every other diet.
    4. Keto switches your body from running mainly on insulin to mainly on stored fat. This is why once in ketosis fat burning is pretty rapid.
    5. Yes, people can lose weight on any diet, but it isn't always as easy as people try to make it out to be. Not every diet works for everyone and keto isn't for everyone, just like SouthBeach isn't for everyone.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of us who have started a keto diet have done our research on it and have tailored it to our own needs. For example I don't eat red or dark meat and I only use olive oil, no butter. Everything I eat are things my doctor specifically told me to eat, I just keep it in the keto macros. Every diet ever created has been "sold as being special." If you aren't going to go demonize every other diet out there, then leave this one alone.

It's proven that apples are bad for you? Where is this proof?