Good replacement for cheese?

Options
I love wraps. They’re easy to put together and quick. They can be toasted in winter so it’s an easy all round meal.

Except the cheese! The calories in cheese! 25 grams of grated cheese can be easily 100 calories.

What’s a good replacement for it? I was thinking hommus, but for example I do like a simple ham, cheese and tomato wrap. Ham hommus and tomatoes don’t really gel well.

Maybe other wrap filling ideas that aren’t cheese?

TIA :)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I love wraps. They’re easy to put together and quick. They can be toasted in winter so it’s an easy all round meal.

Except the cheese! The calories in cheese! 25 grams of grated cheese can be easily 100 calories.

What’s a good replacement for it? I was thinking hommus, but for example I do like a simple ham, cheese and tomato wrap. Ham hommus and tomatoes don’t really gel well.

Maybe other wrap filling ideas that aren’t cheese?

TIA :)

How about cottage cheese? Refried beans (nonfat ones have slightly fewer calories)? Labneh (it's yogurt, further drained to make it thicker)?
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could use a babybel snack cheese or cheesy popcorn seasoning instead? :)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Currently liking Alfredo sauce...
    Only 315kcal/jar...this one is worth the extra few kcals over the "light version" (a bit more water-y)
    dtw52c6jlow9.png
    Only 280kcal/jar "light version"
    s5x6cm2umy3a.png

They are decent, not a true substitute for cheese, but definitely a viable way to save a few hundred kcals/day - more of a compromise. Not nearly as good as the one's with 8+g/fat per serving but just good enough to work
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite non-cheese wraps is grilled chicken breast strips, guacamole, salsa, lemon, cilantro and a sprinkle of salt. Delicious!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella (part-skim) is only 70 calories per ounce. I'd say on average I probably eat around 3-4 ounces of cheese a day. Worth it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat cheese, or cream cheese.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I will always make room for cheese. It’s worth the calories. Besides, you don’t need much to top a salad or sandwich. For example, there’s less than 30 calories in a tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Laughing Cow cheese wedges are a low calorie option as well.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Try different cheese! Feta is pretty low cal.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    How about light cream cheese? Its pretty low cal. You can also add seasonings (like ranch powder) to it.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'd look at some of the things vegans do to replace cheese in their diets - they're magicians with taste and texture!

There are ever more vegan cheese options available in typical grocery stores, and they can be much lower calorie than the non-vegan equivalents.

Nutritional yeast is a seasoning agent that adds a cheesy flavor to things. I have it over popcorn quite often, and there's a super easy recipe here for a vegan "cheese" that uses chickpea flour (high protein) and nutritional yeast. It's under 1000 calories for the whole block, so if you managed to get 10 servings out of it, it'd be about 90 calories per. =) I haven't made this yet, but I've done some of this blogger's other vegan recipes with good success!

My local Kroger recently started carrying nutritional yeast so it's beginning to make its way into mainstream stores, but if you can't find it in the store, Amazon carries it!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Harder cheese, like sharp cheddar or parmesan (ooh, Wisconsin white cheddar!), has a stronger flavor so you can use less. I think 14g of flavorful cheese goes further than 28g of something bland.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow light wedges are 35 calories each and are soft enough to spread on your wraps.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    28 grams of Kraft Fat Free Cheddar cheese is only 45 calories. I've replaced the good cheese with this in most of my food and it's pretty good.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,326 Member
    Options
    Replacement for cheese in wraps?

🤔
    🥓 🤪
    Or not have cheese at all. 🙃
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can use less of the stronger flavored cheese because of it's taste
    fresh Parmesan is nice.

there are vegan cheeses but i don't know that they have lower calories.

salsa is a nice way to add flavor
    nutritional yeast

i just make room for cheese cause Wisconsinite like @runnermom419