Help with measurements

Options
I brought a measuring tape off amazon to measure my body measurements. Does anyone know why there is different measurements on each side? Both are inches but one side has a symbol of a male and the other female. And on the one side for example it say 46 but on the other it says 48 in exactly the same place. The one side scale starts further along but im not sure why?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The side that starts further back, is it by 2 inches?
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The side that starts further back, is it by 2 inches?

Yes
  • mummy_h
    Options
    But why?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mummy_h wrote: »
    But why?

ease of measurement?? one side that starts two inches is probably easier to measure circumferences so you can wrap the tape measure around itself and to line up the start and end line.... for side that starts at the beginning is easier to measure straight lines/distances as you can place the end against the start of what you are measuring easier.
  • mummy_h
    Options
    Thanks guys, ive looked at the product description and I now understand why 😂. Its to account for the retractor part of the tape. It starts at 2 inches. The male and female symbols are an error on the product and shouldnt have been there.

• mummy_h
    Options
    If the Male side makes everything seem 2 inches bigger then I think we know what that's for.... :-)

(Couldn't resist)

Thats funny 😂
  • mummy_h
    Options
    Just annoying as now I dont know if ive lost inches or not 😤
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Just take 2 inches off your measurements if you used that side....
  • mummy_h
    Options

Just take 2 inches off your measurements if you used that side....

I dont know what side i used 😂
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What was your original measurement, what is it now, how long has it been, and how much wright did you lose in that same time? We can probably help you figure it out. Use a bigger site, like waist or hips, not your arm.

For example, If you’ve lost 5 lbs in a few weeks, you probably didn’t lose 2 inches. If you lost 20 lbs in a few months, there were likely measurement changes too.
  • mummy_h
    Options
    Thats the thing
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What was your original measurement, what is it now, how long has it been, and how much wright did you lose in that same time? We can probably help you figure it out. Use a bigger site, like waist or hips, not your arm.

For example, If you’ve lost 5 lbs in a few weeks, you probably didn’t lose 2 inches. If you lost 20 lbs in a few months, there were likely measurement changes too.

I havent lost any weight though but I thought I was losing inches😕. Since Ive started swimming I havent lost weight. But im only eating 1200-1500 calories a day depending on if Ive swam