Where to start/exercise at home.

Options
LushFix
LushFix Posts: 306 Member
I feel like I have the calorie deflect under control and while I know diet is a huge part of weightless I would like to add some moderate daily exercise. I just honestly don’t know where to start and walking Isn’t doing it for me anymore.

28 years old
SW:313
CW:247

I would like something I could do at home ( I’m not mentally ready for the gym) and modify as needed until I’m able to get through the entire workout without stopping. ( I’m willing to purchase some weights ect but mostly interested in getting some cardio in.

Any info/input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would try the 21 Day Fix workout program by Beachbody. It's a pretty good starter program, workouts are 30 minutes long and a good mix of cardio and weights. I don't follow their diet plans (who wants to wash 100 plastic containers on top of all the other washing up every night??) but I do like to home workouts on offer from Beachbody.
  • LushFix
    Options
    I will definitely check that out 30 minutes sounds like a really great amount of time aswell! Thanks!
  • lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check out bodyfit by Amy. She has beginner videos and videos with modifications for beginners. I love her videos.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    walk!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I second walking. Even standing more uses more calories than sitting about, this information came to light after research in a care home. As for not being able to do a full generally accepted work out, I still don't, I walk. Being out in the air helps particularly if you can be out in a park or country side in my view better than looking at a wall possibly even out of a window. Calorie restriction is most helpful when it comes to weight loss exercise calories are often used to enable the weight loss searcher to eat more food by eating a proportion of the calories earned back. Also you should take rest days and build up activity gently.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I never realised how much I enjoyed walking outdoors and eventually I started to pace myself and began light running....still working on running for longer periods.

For indoor activity, check out fitnessblender as well. They have a wide array of free workouts both cardio and strength

I am partial to beachbody workouts and Shaun T is my fave. I still do his max30 workouts for a quick cardio session.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,729 Member
    Options
    U tube is the place to go for free workout videos. I found Lucy Wyndham-Read (lwrfitness) very good. She has a good mix of short (4 minutes, 7 mins etc) and longer workouts. She is very English which you might find irritating (I'm British and I find American trainers irritating) but keep looking, you're sure to find something.
  • LushFix
    edited March 2019
    Options
    walk!

As stated walking isn’t really doing it for me anymore. ( I should have specified I’m not ready for the gym because of self esteem) I’m already averaging 10,000 steps a day. I would like something I can do that will get my heart pumping and make me sweat. I don’t live a sedentary life anymore and I’m looking to kick it up a notch, push my limits and see where I’m at.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’m definitely going to look into an at home work out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    walk!

As stated walking isn’t really doing it for me anymore. ( I should have specified I’m not ready for the gym because of self esteem) I’m already averaging 10,000 steps a day. I would like something I can do that will get my heart pumping and make me sweat. I don’t live a sedentary life anymore and I’m looking to kick it up a notch, push my limits and see where I’m at.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’m definitely going to look into an at home work out.

c25k

insanity is good for an indoor workout
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Walk and/or log onto FitnessBlender and pick a workout, either body weight or, if you have them, with dumbbells.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender (on YouTube), Beachbody workouts, 30 Day Shred. Try a few out and see what you like. If you want to do more resistance training there are a few bodyweight programs such as You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, Strong Curves at home program.
  • ardaniel46
    ardaniel46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michael's Beginner Shred
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Any program with Jillian Michaels (i tried 30 day shred, Body revolution). I was totally sedentary and I was amaze how after 5 or 6 work out, I could already see a difference in strenght and inches. The workouts are all around 30 minutes, but it's everyday or 6 days a week.

I loved C25K, the app to learn running. It's 3 days a week, easier for me to commit. With good music, I sticked with it and completed the whole 8 weeks program (I'm probably the slowest runner alive). You start with very short runs (like 60 seconds) and you end up being able to run 30 minutes! I was 220 pounds when I first did it.

If you decide to exercise, you need to double down on portion control and calorie counting. For me, intense exercise trigger hyperphagia (binge eating). I only lost weight counting calories, I never lost weight with exercise only, even when I was working out 500 extra calories a day!
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    FitBod app lets you tailor your workout based around the time and equipment that you have available. I use it for my gym workouts but I know there's an option for only body weight based workouts.
  • LushFix
    Options
    Any program with Jillian Michaels (i tried 30 day shred, Body revolution). I was totally sedentary and I was amaze how after 5 or 6 work out, I could already see a difference in strenght and inches. The workouts are all around 30 minutes, but it's everyday or 6 days a week.

I loved C25K, the app to learn running. It's 3 days a week, easier for me to commit. With good music, I sticked with it and completed the whole 8 weeks program (I'm probably the slowest runner alive). You start with very short runs (like 60 seconds) and you end up being able to run 30 minutes! I was 220 pounds when I first did it.

If you decide to exercise, you need to double down on portion control and calorie counting. For me, intense exercise trigger hyperphagia (binge eating). I only lost weight counting calories, I never lost weight with exercise only, even when I was working out 500 extra calories a day!

Thank you ! Yes I’ve heard things about intense exercise bringing on binge eating, I’ll definitely keep n eye on that for myself. It’s something that I have struggled/struggle with.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I second (third? eighty-seventh?) Fitnessblender. It's BASIC. No loud music, annoying trainers, flashy jump-cuts, or anything else. It's usually just one person telling you what to do. I do it with my earbuds in, so I get my own music. You can go as easy or as hard as you want, because you can sort by type, fitness level, activity, and equipment. Pilates on MOnday, legs & abs on Tuesday, HIIT on Wednesday, etc... there's a huge variety for everyone, and it helps you find what you LIKE so you can then go find more stuff similar to it :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You might also try Leslie Sansome workouts. They are a low impact aerobic combination of brisk walking, high knees, kicks, sidesteps, etc. with light weights for part of the workout. You use muscles differently than just walking.
  • linziretro
    linziretro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some walking. Half an hour moderate pace in a morning for me with my dog can burn up to 250 cals.

I recommend Les Mills On Demand. I've done and still do a couple of les Mills at the gym (mainly rpm as no spin bike at home). I do all my workouts at home and it's amazing. It's currently on 10 days free trial I think then after that's its only £10 a month.
    I do Bodystep, Bodycombat, Bodypump, Grit Strength and cardio, Bodyattack and Cxworx but there are others too such as sh'bam if you like dancing, bodyflow for flexibility, spinning of you have a bike, and some yoga.

I love the app and use it via my amazon firestick but there's loads of ways you can watch it
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    For at-home stuff, I've really been liking Fitness Blender -- it's free, through their website (You can pay for the weeks-long programs, but I don't see the need for that). You can filter videos based on how much time you have, what equipment you have, what type of workout you want (barre, stretching, light weights, HIIT, etc.), and how many calories you want to burn.