Why do hormones make this impossible?

Options
Hi. I'm not new to MFP. Years ago, calorie counting, exercise and fasting helped me lose the excess weight and keep it off for years.

Then I relocated to another country, and my routine, diet and overall health were hit. Just from the differences in food alone, I gained 15 kgs. Now I'm back to a European country (not my own though), and even though it's easier now to eat healthy, I'm still struggling.

I recently had an abdominal total hysterectomy to treat a chronic pain to what we thought was caused by my uterine prolapse (sorry for TMI) . I've kept my ovaries, but I feel like the hormones now are worse than ever. I've got huge mood swings, depression, cravings, I feel hunger all the time (my stomach is literally growling all day long), I am constantly exhausted with brain fog, I am in a lot of pain and have severe PMS symptoms.

For my height, 1700 calories should be my maintenance calories, but I am eating daily 2000+ and I'm still starving! I'm also overdoing it with water just to make sure I'm not dehydrated. I gained 6 more kilos of course, and I feel awful, despite exercising 5 times a week, 1 hour a day (at home).

I know all about increasing protein, healthy fat, fiber and eating clean etc. I also know I probably need to see a doctor again.

I'm at a loss. Something that was so easy before and had all the discipline for it, now I'm unable to go back to a healthy routine.

Can a personal trainer or dietician help with this? Because I know that just going to the doctor is not gonna help much, probably either tell me to start taking pills again (with horrible side effects) or have me have another surgery and go into menopause (I'm only 32).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• cpall31
    cpall31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m 43 and having the same problems basically minus the surgery. I think you may want to go to the dr. After speaking with my mom she told me I may be experiencing peri-menopause. And all the symptoms you mentioned are that. I’m going to get tested myself to see if that is my case. I eat 1200-1300 calories a day, doing the clean eating and drinking the water and not losing anything. This week I gained 2 lbs back. I also exercise 5 times a week. 2 years ago I worked with a trainer and he gave me a diet to follow which basically was 900 calories and in a few months I lost 17 lbs. but I gained it all back. As 900 calories is not sustainable. It’s super frustrating. Have you had your thyroid checked? That is something else that could be hindering us?
  • daligrrrl
    daligrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Following this - about to be 39 and my situation is similar to cpall31. Even 4 years ago losing 80+ lbs was so easy! Now, losing even 1-2 lbs with every single effort is impossible!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm not new to MFP. Years ago, calorie counting, exercise and fasting helped me lose the excess weight and keep it off for years.

Then I relocated to another country, and my routine, diet and overall health were hit. Just from the differences in food alone, I gained 15 kgs. Now I'm back to a European country (not my own though), and even though it's easier now to eat healthy, I'm still struggling.

I recently had an abdominal total hysterectomy to treat a chronic pain to what we thought was caused by my uterine prolapse (sorry for TMI) . I've kept my ovaries, but I feel like the hormones now are worse than ever. I've got huge mood swings, depression, cravings, I feel hunger all the time (my stomach is literally growling all day long), I am constantly exhausted with brain fog, I am in a lot of pain and have severe PMS symptoms.

For my height, 1700 calories should be my maintenance calories, but I am eating daily 2000+ and I'm still starving! I'm also overdoing it with water just to make sure I'm not dehydrated. I gained 6 more kilos of course, and I feel awful, despite exercising 5 times a week, 1 hour a day (at home).

I know all about increasing protein, healthy fat, fiber and eating clean etc. I also know I probably need to see a doctor again.

I'm at a loss. Something that was so easy before and had all the discipline for it, now I'm unable to go back to a healthy routine.

Can a personal trainer or dietician help with this? Because I know that just going to the doctor is not gonna help much, probably either tell me to start taking pills again (with horrible side effects) or have me have another surgery and go into menopause (I'm only 32).

Thanks in advance for any input.

regardless of your weight, you need to see a doctor to sort out your hormones and decide on the best course of treatment.

as for the food thing, has increasing protein/fat/fibre helped at all?
  • travelertechie
    travelertechie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    cpall31 wrote: »
    I’m 43 and having the same problems basically minus the surgery. I think you may want to go to the dr. After speaking with my mom she told me I may be experiencing peri-menopause. And all the symptoms you mentioned are that. I’m going to get tested myself to see if that is my case. I eat 1200-1300 calories a day, doing the clean eating and drinking the water and not losing anything. This week I gained 2 lbs back. I also exercise 5 times a week. 2 years ago I worked with a trainer and he gave me a diet to follow which basically was 900 calories and in a few months I lost 17 lbs. but I gained it all back. As 900 calories is not sustainable. It’s super frustrating. Have you had your thyroid checked? That is something else that could be hindering us?

I'm sorry you are going through the same thing. Yes, it could very well be perimenopause. I've got the night sweats, sore breasts and everything. Thought they would go away a few weeks after the surgery, but they're getting worse.

I've checked my thyroid multiple times before the surgery and it was normal, but I will have it checked again. Can they tell with blood tests whether we are entering menopause? I might start going back to an endocrinologist.
  • travelertechie
    Options
    daligrrrl wrote: »
    Following this - about to be 39 and my situation is similar to cpall31. Even 4 years ago losing 80+ lbs was so easy! Now, losing even 1-2 lbs with every single effort is impossible!

I'm sorry you are going through the same thing. I agree, it seems impossible for something that didn't even require that much effort before.
  • travelertechie
    Options

regardless of your weight, you need to see a doctor to sort out your hormones and decide on the best course of treatment.

Unfortunately no, it hasn't helped. I was already following the 80/20 rule for many years now, so I wasn't indulging much. I always start my day with a healthy breakfast, and cook a healthy main meal, but around the end of the day I get more and more hungry, and I just keep eating.

It would probably help if I was living alone, where I could more easily control what's in the house, but I have 2 kids and a husband who likes bringing junk from time to time. I either hide them or throw them away, but even then, I just binge on healthy food (extra fruits, nuts, olives, a sandwich, a giant bowl of salad etc). Easily go overboard on calories.

When I do force myself to cut down, then I start feeling weak and more moody. Even tried chewing gum and mint teas to cut down on appetite. The hunger just doesn't go away. It's frustrating. I don't like being irritated from hunger, but I don't like blowing myself up like a balloon from overeating either. Staying at just 1700 calories (no up or down) just doesn't cut it anymore.

• TavistockToad
    Options

Unfortunately no, it hasn't helped. I was already following the 80/20 rule for many years now, so I wasn't indulging much. I always start my day with a healthy breakfast, and cook a healthy main meal, but around the end of the day I get more and more hungry, and I just keep eating.

It would probably help if I was living alone, where I could more easily control what's in the house, but I have 2 kids and a husband who likes bringing junk from time to time. I either hide them or throw them away, but even then, I just binge on healthy food (extra fruits, nuts, olives, a sandwich, a giant bowl of salad etc). Easily go overboard on calories.

When I do force myself to cut down, then I start feeling weak and more moody. Even tried chewing gum and mint teas to cut down on appetite. The hunger just doesn't go away. It's frustrating. I don't like being irritated from hunger, but I don't like blowing myself up like a balloon from overeating either. Staying at just 1700 calories (no up or down) just doesn't cut it anymore.

if 'the usual' isn't working though you may need to try something else.

tweaking your macros or changing your eating pattern to more of an IF style for instance?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Weight loss is challenging at any age. You asked about hormones and I think that's a huge factor, but not the hormones you're thinking of - it's more the effect of hunger hormones/satiety hormones, insulin, sleep, exercise, stress. The job is to work through all that while maintaining a balance with them all. The whole hunger/late night thing was something I had to find a way out of too.

So I go to bed early. Like within a couple or three hours after dinner.

With weight loss hormones begin to regulate but it's not an instant fix. Being overweight really messes with the endocrine system.

Patience, persistence, balance. Planning.

Also, fewer carby foods help me. I try to hit my macros and that helps a lot. Lots of vegetables.

If 1700 is hard, take a walk. 1900 may be much easier and I find exercise blunts my appetite.

You can do it.
  • travelertechie
    Options

tweaking your macros or changing your eating pattern to more of an IF style for instance?

Yes, perhaps intermittent fasting might help. I definitely need to change something. Any advice on how to get started on IF? I am presuming I still have to count calories while on IF.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yes, perhaps intermittent fasting might help. I definitely need to change something. Any advice on how to get started on IF? I am presuming I still have to count calories while on IF.

yes, IF is just an eating style.

i don't IF, but i eat my breakfast later in the day during the working week, as if i eat before i leave the house 6.45am, i am hungry by 9.30 and need a snack before lunch.

by eating at work at 8.30-9ish, i am good till lunchtime and have 'saved' 200 cals on that snack to eat later. i can put up with being hungry for a couple of hours first thing in the morning to be able to eat more later on.
  • roisis7312
    roisis7312 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling so much - this process can be so frustrating when we feel like we're putting in so much effort and just not seeing the results. I'm glad you brought up this topic of hormones, I've been thinking recently that they've been hindering me too.

I've been taking various levels of hormones as part of fertility treatments for a number of years now and I feel like they've really screwed something up inside me. I've always struggled with my weight but when I've been accountable and put in the effort, I've managed to get it down before. But I stopped treatments and since the beginning of the year I started MFP and although I have been very carefully logging calories and exercising 5 times a week - I just haven't seen the results I expected. It's getting really frustrating.

And yes - mood swings and cravings just add more frustration to the whole situation. I'd suggest getting your thyroid checked, but you say that's already been looked into. From your original post you've queried a personal trainer - I think this might be a great option if it is affordable. Sometimes when we're struggling it's time to get some individual support; even a few sessions might give you some tips on how to get moving again. And a good personal trainer should give excellent nutritional advice too.
    Best of luck!
  • travelertechie
    Options
    roisis7312 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're struggling so much - this process can be so frustrating when we feel like we're putting in so much effort and just not seeing the results. I'm glad you brought up this topic of hormones, I've been thinking recently that they've been hindering me too.

I've been taking various levels of hormones as part of fertility treatments for a number of years now and I feel like they've really screwed something up inside me. I've always struggled with my weight but when I've been accountable and put in the effort, I've managed to get it down before. But I stopped treatments and since the beginning of the year I started MFP and although I have been very carefully logging calories and exercising 5 times a week - I just haven't seen the results I expected. It's getting really frustrating.

And yes - mood swings and cravings just add more frustration to the whole situation. I'd suggest getting your thyroid checked, but you say that's already been looked into. From your original post you've queried a personal trainer - I think this might be a great option if it is affordable. Sometimes when we're struggling it's time to get some individual support; even a few sessions might give you some tips on how to get moving again. And a good personal trainer should give excellent nutritional advice too.
    Best of luck!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this too. I was diagnosed with PCOS at an early age, and they put me on hormones ever since I was 16, and they caused so much weight gain, and couldn't get anything off until I stopped them. I stopped them completely when I got married at 22, and I was able to lose all the excess weight and keep it off for a long time. But now though, I can't tell if it's shock from the surgery, or my ovaries just decided to stop working altogether, or if it's just about getting older, or all of the above.

And yes, mood swings with the cravings don't help one bit. If anything, the depression makes it worse. Plus I am in a colder climate now than what I'm used to. That means less sun and more hunger.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real.

I am almost 60. I used to be rail thin until I had my child at 38. Then I took birth control hormones then went into menopause years later. Hormones are a necessary evil. 😬

I got up to 100lbs over my BMI. Sad. But now I’m losing though not in a linear way. I stress eat more times than I care to admit. I do IF cause I’m too busy getting out the door to work to eat breakfast. I drink coffee and creamer no additional sugar. I make sure my lunch has healthy fat to satiate me instead of eating more.

I find that when I take vitamins (good ones) it helps my tummy not go into growl mode. I think when we CICO we don’t always eat the proper amount of things that our body needs and craves. Calcium and Vit. D consumption take a hit cause they come with foods that have high caloric values so we don’t eat them. But as women, we really need these nutrients. Yes calcium comes in broccoli but how many of use wants to eat copious amounts of it daily?

So I would try to source a good supply of vitamins. You might have to get them online like amazon. Not all supplements are equal. Do your research. Magnesium is something we all are deficient on and there are different forms of it, some better than others.

Keep us posted. And yes...see your doctor.
  • travelertechie
    Options
    The struggle is real.

I am almost 60. I used to be rail thin until I had my child at 38. Then I took birth control hormones then went into menopause years later. Hormones are a necessary evil. 😬

I got up to 100lbs over my BMI. Sad. But now I’m losing though not in a linear way. I stress eat more times than I care to admit. I do IF cause I’m too busy getting out the door to work to eat breakfast. I drink coffee and creamer no additional sugar. I make sure my lunch has healthy fat to satiate me instead of eating more.

I find that when I take vitamins (good ones) it helps my tummy not go into growl mode. I think when we CICO we don’t always eat the proper amount of things that our body needs and craves. Calcium and Vit. D consumption take a hit cause they come with foods that have high caloric values so we don’t eat them. But as women, we really need these nutrients. Yes calcium comes in broccoli but how many of use wants to eat copious amounts of it daily?

So I would try to source a good supply of vitamins. You might have to get them online like amazon. Not all supplements are equal. Do your research. Magnesium is something we all are deficient on and there are different forms of it, some better than others.

Keep us posted. And yes...see your doctor.

Thank you. This was really helpful. I will definitely look into supplements and IF. It’s scary how many things we women have to go through.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and had issues with PMS I was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I finally met a doctor who specialized in immune system disorders and he put me on Evening Primrose Oil (6 small caps daily 3,000 mg total). Interestingly enough that eliminated my PMS symptoms along with helping the CFS. It's worth a try. Nowadays there are Omega 3 caps which might be better for you since Evening Primrose is Omega 6 but I don't know if it would do the same thing. On the food side I have cut out the sugar for the most part. When I'm really hungry the best way to beat the desire to eat is a long walk in the park. My most used food strategy is to raise protein and lower carb and I find I have less cravings since when I do crave it's mostly for carbs. Good luck my friend and I certainly support the see the doc thing as they are the experts in what could be going on with your hormones.
  • travelertechie
    Options
    When I was younger and had issues with PMS I was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I finally met a doctor who specialized in immune system disorders and he put me on Evening Primrose Oil (6 small caps daily 3,000 mg total). Interestingly enough that eliminated my PMS symptoms along with helping the CFS. It's worth a try. Nowadays there are Omega 3 caps which might be better for you since Evening Primrose is Omega 6 but I don't know if it would do the same thing. On the food side I have cut out the sugar for the most part. When I'm really hungry the best way to beat the desire to eat is a long walk in the park. My most used food strategy is to raise protein and lower carb and I find I have less cravings since when I do crave it's mostly for carbs. Good luck my friend and I certainly support the see the doc thing as they are the experts in what could be going on with your hormones.

Thank you so much. You have given me quite an insight on what to try. I have already picked up a good multivitamin supplement, and will also check out the primrose oil.

The “walk it off” advice is certainly a good one for my cravings. I will definitely try that.

I am sorry you were diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The PMS alone is enough to ruin our days.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your hysterectomy? You said 'recently', but didn't specify. I had mine about a year and a half ago. I didn't feel back to normal until about 8-9 months post surgery. It's major surgery and your body needs time to adjust. If you haven't found it, hystersisters.com is a good resource.
  • travelertechie
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    How long ago was your hysterectomy? You said 'recently', but didn't specify. I had mine about a year and a half ago. I didn't feel back to normal until about 8-9 months post surgery. It's major surgery and your body needs time to adjust. If you haven't found it, hystersisters.com is a good resource.

My apologies, my hysterectomy was about 6 months ago. Yes, HysterSisters was a blessing to have pre and post-op. So maybe my body needs another 6 months or so to get back to normal?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options

My apologies, my hysterectomy was about 6 months ago. Yes, HysterSisters was a blessing to have pre and post-op. So maybe my body needs another 6 months or so to get back to normal?

Yes, give yourself some time! Mine was vaginal instead of abdominal so I had significantly less trauma. It still took me about 9 months. The twinges, the pains, the bloat and mood swings all eventually leveled out.
  • travelertechie
    Options

Yes, give yourself some time! Mine was vaginal instead of abdominal so I had significantly less trauma. It still took me about 9 months. The twinges, the pains, the bloat and mood swings all eventually leveled out.

Thank you, that's great to know. I will keep on trying with healthy food and exercise, and just wait it out then I guess.