How to manage stress eating

Options
Hi, I'm wondering how you all cope with stress eating? I lost 32kg a few years ago through planning my meals, counting calories and exercising at home. Fast forward to now, I have gained most of the weight back and I'm struggling to stick to even one day of eating on plan, never mind the exercise. The difference? I used to work part time, and now I work full time and sometimes even more. I am a single mum, and I struggle so much to find enough hours in the day. I have good intentions, I plan my meals for the week, I prep on a Sunday... Should all be pretty straight forward. Except... It's not. Today for example, I stayed on track until late afternoon and then completely lost the plot. I had so much chocolate since then, I feel I have already completely ruined my chances of losing any weight this week. What can I do?!?!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I found that when I upped my exercise, first my overall stress levels went down and second, time spent working out is time spent away from the kitchen fridge and cabinets.

Also, I found lower-calorie substitutes with similar flavors. So, if I want something sweet, I'll measure out a small portion of a sweetish cereal (Krave or Corn Squares, mostly; I don't go for the super-sugary) or have some Halo Top or a Fiber One bar. Salty would be popcorn, Pop Chips, or roasted chickpeas. And before it goes in my mouth, it goes in my diary. So, I don't try to eliminate stress eating, but I stress-eat mindfully.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Very similar to what @estherdragonbat said:

Stock up on lower cal but still snackable stuff.
    Limit quantities available - I bring a weighed out baggie of snack food each day to work.
    Get in the habit of pre-logging before you eat. Seeing the damage in black & white can be powerful.
    Brainstorm other quick ways to destress and leave reminders around to try the alternatives first. So for me I might take a 3 minute walk around the building. Do a short breathing exercise. Go to the We Rate Dogs FB page. Leave yourself a Post-It or tie a string around something or that sort of thing.

I also find sometimes chewing sugarless gum, or drinking diet soda or mint tea gives me something to do without the calories.

:drinker:
  • chocolate1902
    chocolate1902 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I own a chocolate company so I have some insight for you. First, select the darkest chocolate possible that you can handle for your taste buds and slowly let them absorb in your mouth that beautiful rich Coco taste. Dark chocolate is very good for you but like everything else you should moderate. It’s a great way to take those cravings away and it’s actually pretty healthy.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I preplan/prelog all my food for the day. So I have my snacks for when I want them. If I feel stressed, I pick up one of those because I need to eat them anyways

A square of dark chocolate with sea salt from world marker is 55 calories. I only lack one square. And I eat it slow.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories helped!!! I changed my goal to lose one pound a week. I would love to lose 2 pounds a week, but notice I stress eat or binge way more often.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your struggle. As a caregiver working two jobs, my time is limited and there are days where things don't go according to plan. One of the biggest culprits of overeating is not eating enough protein early on in the day. In my experience, having a high-protein breakfast has often kept me feeling full throughout the day, sometimes to the point where I don't even eat an afternoon snack or evening dessert because I'm still satiated. So protein is one thing to consider. Also make sure you are drinking enough water and getting adequate exercise and rest.

As for chocolate cravings, I recommend this great substitute that I bought in Vitamin Shoppe: Powercrunch Choklat bars in dark chocolate (https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/bionutritional-research-group-choklat-crunch-dark-chocolate-12-bars/fu-1014)

That usually helps with my cravings. I also like the 90 calorie Fiber One brownies. Those are good and help soothe my cravings without going overboard. Both are low in sugar and calories.
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I own a chocolate company so I have some insight for you. First, select the darkest chocolate possible that you can handle for your taste buds and slowly let them absorb in your mouth that beautiful rich Coco taste. Dark chocolate is very good for you but like everything else you should moderate. It’s a great way to take those cravings away and it’s actually pretty healthy.

I want you to be my new bff. LOL Seriously though, that's great advice. I gave up chocolate for Lent, and I'm already dreaming about my first chocolate once it's over. :D