Accidentally bought lean stewing beef

acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
I accidentally bought lean stewing beef. I never get good results stewing this because it stays tough and gnarly. Any ideas on how to use this ingredient?

I was maybe thinking of dutch split pea soup instead of the pork the recipe calls for because it cooks long and slow.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-split-pea-soup-1129011

Other ideas welcome, as well as tips on how to cook a cut like this. Or should I just try to find a dog owner among my acquaintances.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Pressure cook it.. it'll soften up.
  • acpgee
    Unfortunately I don't own a pressure cooker, instant pot or slow cooker.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

Do you have a casserole/dutch oven or other oven safe covered dish? Turn your regular oven into a slow cooker. Use any slow cooker recipe and proceed as normal. The oven equivalent of low is 200° and high is 300°

Here is my Irish Beef Stew in keeping with the season. You can substitute potatoes for the turnips if you want. Just throw everything together and cook on low about 8 hours

1 lb(s), Carrots - Raw, sliced
    1 cup, chopped, Onions - Raw, chopped
    2.00 cloves, Garlic - Raw, minced
    2 cup(s), Beef Broth
    1 container (10 tbsp ea.), Tomato Paste
    11.20 fl oz Guinness Stout (330 mL), Draught Bottle 330ml (11.2 oz)
    0.60 kg(s), Turnips - Raw, cut into chunks
    21 oz, Beef Stew meat

If the juices need thickening at the end, mix and stir in:
    1 tbsp(s), Water
    1 tbsp(s), Cornstarch
  • acpgee
    Wow. Eight hours. Does not searing the meat first aid softening too?
  • acpgee
    crazyravr wrote: »

Slow long braise. Just like you do with lamb. Make a beef randang.

For beef rendang I prefer a well marbled cut, actually.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I brown it then I make beef barley soup with it. Leave it simmering for several hours. Once it's soft enough I cut it into smaller pieces for the soup. I usually get about 6 to 8 servings depending on the amount of beef and consommé I use.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I love stew beef, you just need the time to break it down. I agree that the IP is worth the money for what it does to those cuts. It's become one of the most-used tools in my kitchen. But in the meantime, an oven-safe pot, casserole dish, or Dutch oven is the way to go.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Long, slow, in liquid.
  • acpgee
    I've had the beef and guiness stew on for about 4 hours now with liquid measuring at a temperature of 93C. Hoping it will be edible in 2 hours.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

Also wanted to add.... the IP is WELL worth its money.

Yes! Totally agree!
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2019
    I cook stewing beef in a barbecue sauce on low heat for about an hour. Usually comes out very tender. I brown the meat with a little onion then add the barbecue sauce, turn to low heat, and let it cook.
  • acpgee
    Thanks everyone. I usually have better success with marbled stewing beef, but this was the first time I got a decent result with lean stewing beef. Though I do think that marbled stewing beef is more flavourful.

I am too cheap to have the oven on for 6 hours and cooked the beef and guiness stew on top of the stove keeping the temperature of the braising liquid at a steady 93 degrees celsius which is about the same as the low setting of a slow cooker. This is the most careful temperature monitoring I've done and I think that made a difference.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    If it's tough, you probably aren't cooking it long enough.
    Go low and slow, like all day in the slow cooker.
    It also helps is you slice up the stewing beef into smaller cubes.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm four days late, but this recipe for Austrian goulash is really good. I typically use beef chuck when I make it.