Hello! Struggling a Bit...

Options
Hi, I'm a bit new to this community.
A bit of backstory: As a young teen I struggled with anorexia and was underweight, only eating 300 cals a day. I maintained a healthy weight of 115-120 at 5'1" for a few years, mainly because I was using other forms of self harm. Then, as a later teen I developed binge eating as I stopped cutting, which has led me to where I am now. I'm 5'1" and 143, 13 lbs overweight. I still have a lot of issues surrounding food which haven't been solved so I'm hoping that this community will help!
I'm starting my simply having 3 meals a day + 40 minutes in treadmill + walking dog for 1 mile. However, I'm mostly sedentary and that leaves my calories at 1200-1400 in a day, which is making me quite anxious. I'm not getting over the extreme hunger that comes with breaking binging, and I'm worried that those calories will send me into a binge.
So I have some questions:
Are those calories enough?
How should I prevent a binge?
How long does it take for the extreme hunger to subside?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need to ask your treatment team those questions
  • MartyQ2019
    MartyQ2019 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a bit new to this community.
    A bit of backstory: As a young teen I struggled with anorexia and was underweight, only eating 300 cals a day. I maintained a healthy weight of 115-120 at 5'1" for a few years, mainly because I was using other forms of self harm. Then, as a later teen I developed binge eating as I stopped cutting, which has led me to where I am now. I'm 5'1" and 143, 13 lbs overweight. I still have a lot of issues surrounding food which haven't been solved so I'm hoping that this community will help!
    I'm starting my simply having 3 meals a day + 40 minutes in treadmill + walking dog for 1 mile. However, I'm mostly sedentary and that leaves my calories at 1200-1400 in a day, which is making me quite anxious. I'm not getting over the extreme hunger that comes with breaking binging, and I'm worried that those calories will send me into a binge.
    So I have some questions:
    Are those calories enough?
    How should I prevent a binge?
    How long does it take for the extreme hunger to subside?

Yes, your calories are enough and remember, we get to ADD calories for exercise, so you aren't stuck at 1200-1400, want more? Exercise! 🙂
    I have had success with preventing a binge by keeping "my head in the game" and stay busy, log calories and exercise. Regular exercise helps the most.
    1-3 days and the extreme hunger will be gone. You'll hit a tough patch about day 10, but after your body/stomach/mind get into the routine, you'll be home free!
    Hope this all helps. I know you'll do good! Way to begin your journey!
    Marty🎉🚴🎉
  • quaintonion
    quaintonion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea to curb hunger angst. Also, when tempted to snack on bad food choices, I tell myself whatever it is, it tastes like oysters, which I cannot stomach. The image of oysters is repulsive to me, so it scars the idea of a tasty snack with something gross to me. Sometimes mental games can be helpful if your subconscious doesn't take control. As a friend once said, the "community" in our brains telling us what to do can be detrimental at times - don't let "them" take over! Hang in there - it takes immense patience and belief in yourself; belief in the end result. Its a process.