Curious About Keto

Options

Replies

• Krysless2
    Krysless2 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread but it seems appropriate here. I'd advise anyone getting involved in Keto to do your research. Dr. Boz has plenty of shorter YT videos on Keto and she runs her clinic based on keto as a go to therapy for many of her patients. The YT channel Low Carb Down Under has a series of lectures from physicians, researchers and other lecturers if you want to get into some of the nitty gritty of the science.

Repost:
    I turned to Keto not to lose weight but as a way of eliminating a lot of different foods from my diet to find a way to control my growing arthritic inflammation. I quit dairy at the same time. It worked so well I almost can't believe it. I was at the point last fall where I thought I'd have to retire early. My hip hurt, my knee hurt, my hands hurt every day and then it went into my lower back. I'm self employed and do a lot of heavy lifting and my work is physically demanding. You can't do it with a bad back. Going keto I did lose 10 lbs without trying but the pain subsided 75% in 2 weeks and is now at -90% and I can finally get back to the gym and being more active after a couple of years of not doing so. The pain reduction alone was enough to make it worthwhile but here are some other benefits I found in no particular order:

1. Appetite control. I actually have a difficult time many days eating enough to maintain my weight. I just don't feel hungry for hours on end and when I do eat I feel full fairly quickly because of the high fat content and the satiety it gives. If I had to lose more weight it would be a piece of cake because I'd have no problem maintaining a 500 calorie deficit without even trying.
    2. Mental alertness and constant energy. I have the same energy level all day. I'm going to the gym before work for the first time in my life and even at 57 I'm still full of energy all day long. I'm already up to an hour and a half at the gym and energy levels are constant during my workout even though I'm working out fasted for now.
    3. Bowel movements are smaller, smoother and easier.

I avoided the "Keto flu" by salting my food more and eating avocadoes just about every day for potassium and because I like them. If I'm totally honest, even though I was a lifelong volume eater, I am enjoying eating smaller portions of fatty meals and treats far more than when I ate more food.

Hi there, my bestfriend has been observing my weight loss on your same diet and I agree with you 💯 on all points you numbered. She's starting to ask more and more questions and I'm happy to finally get to talk about my new lifestyle but today she asked me how I motivated my self to stop eating carbs and to stick with it at the beginning. I could only tell her a few of my family members were on it so that's how I learned about it and then for a month or two I became voracious for keto information. I read a ton of articles, success stories, simple tips, and I watched hundreds and hundreds of YouTube videos on the same things. Then one day I had some eggs and bacon for breakfast and another friend of mine texted me and said we should do the keto diet together and Viola!! Then I just took one day at a time while clinging to the internet.

So my question to you is; what helped motivate you while so many others quit after a week or two?
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on the keto diet for a while, and he has definitely lost weight pretty effortlessly. But, I also think it is easier for him to stick to it because someone cooks for him (that would be me lol). You should plan on cooking a lot!! It is hard to find prepared meals and snacks. In the beginning, it seems like there are so many choices...but he has gotten tired of many things after being on it for a couple of months. Other negatives I have seen are- he pees all of the time (sorry TMI) and he really cannot drink alcohol anymore because it seems to mess with his stomach (this was never an issue before so we assume it is from keto). That being said, he has lost a lot of weight and does not count calories. His hunger has significantly decreased as well. Just my honest observations, hope it helps!