Diabetes

Options
Just found out I have diabetes. Is there a program to help you follow your diet for diabetes? Trying to figure out what I can and can’t have and hoping this app can help me track the right foods.

Replies

• billnangilbert
    billnangilbert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have!! I’m trying to see if I can track for diabetic diet on app.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have!! I’m trying to see if I can track for diabetic diet on app.

What specifically do you need to track?
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in Germany and the advice I was given while there was completely different to the advice I've had back here in the UK. They focused on getting my blood sugar to a normal level ASAP (put me on insulin) and then worked with me on weight loss and diet. I was off the insulin in a few months and my meds were reduced massively. I think if I hadn't gotten pregnant I'd have been off them completely and just diet controlled.

Now I see the nurse once a year, I get no support with diet, I'm not supposed to test my blood sugar, just rely on the once a year check, and my control has slipped. Clearly not all diabetes care is created equal :( Pregnancy didn't help me as it went haywire afterwards yet I've had no support with that, just "oh, increase this and if it doesn't work we'll put you on insulin".
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My spouse's n=1 was this: With 45-60 minutes of moderate exercise a day, they're able to reduce med, avoid insulin, and eat moderate amounts of carbs. While keeping A1C at normal levels and morning testing in goal range.

(Before you go buy a meter, check insurance. We received a package from our insurance company with a meter and strips, and get a shipment of enough strips for daily testing every three months. For free).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    With respect, I had a meeting with a registered dietician who was supposedly a “diabetes expert” at a major medical center in a good sized city when I was diagnosed and if I had followed her advice *snipped for brevity*

I had the exact opposite experience when I got diagnosed. My PCP is a Certified Diabetic Educator and she told me to start with a maximum of 180 grams of carb per day, divided among 3 large and 2-3 small meals. I immediately started with MFP so I could track and adjusted my macros to allow for the 180 carbs, which turned out to be 35%. I did 35% protein and 30% fat. I met with an RD who looked at my MFP diary and essentially confirmed that I was doing the right thing and gave me tips on making sure I got enough protein. I was off medication within 7 months and my glucose numbers have stayed in the normal range ever since.

As I lost weight, I kept the same percentages so now I am eating closer to 150 grams of carbs.

Also, why buy a meter when insurance will pay for one that the doctor can actually download and view all kinds of information during the 3 month follow up visits? Most programs do not sync with Reli-on

The usual insurance covers only one strip per day unless you are on insulin, which is not enough, and the typical doctor provided meter has strips which cost over a dollar apiece. The Bayer Contour Next has higher reliability according to consumer testing, and strips only cost twenty cents. Testing once a day isn’t giving you information about how different foods affect you at meals. Morning fasting glucose is not strongly correlated with outcomes, unlike postprandial glucose which is a strong predictor of complications. A1c is not strongly predictive either.

The standard 180g carb advice is not something that works for everyone, or even most people. It would not have worked for me, for example, since that’s above my tolerances. I’m happy the generic advice worked for you, but still wouldn’t recommend it to everyone. It’s a case of a stopped clock being right twice a day.