Thread for older fitness enthusiasts. A forum to discuss unique fitness challenges for us

Options

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old. I do walking videos on youtube and also- body weight exercise videos on youtube- I enjoy walking and try to do it 4-5 days each week. Also try to eat sensibly . I do love walking/ joggin more but I try to do some smaller weights with youtube.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I’m 69 and haven’t been a gym member for years. I walked and lifted weights at home. But this year my Medicare Advantage plan offered free gym memberships for the first time. I couldn’t wait til Jan. 1 to join and have been going, most,y to Silver Sneakers, ever since. I love it - great cardio and tons of strength training. There are many people in my class in their 80s and one woman who’s in her late 90s who also runs in 5ks. They inspire me every day!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm 'only' 42, but I have a number of chronic joint problems, sooo...

I was wondering if anyone else has issues with osteoarthritis, and whether they've found a good way to handle flare-ups? Rest and exercise seem to be equally unpopular with my perma-broken arthritic ankle when it gets riled up!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I'm 'only' 42, but I have a number of chronic joint problems, sooo...

I was wondering if anyone else has issues with osteoarthritis, and whether they've found a good way to handle flare-ups? Rest and exercise seem to be equally unpopular with my perma-broken arthritic ankle when it gets riled up!

I'm 64 and have had OA for a long time. When my ankle flares (aches, especially at night--can't sleep) I K-tape it and that does it. I wear the tape for a couple of days. It's waterproof so I can swim with it, if I want to. I have been getting up at 6:00 3 times a week to do an hour of stretching for 25 yrs. That helps so much. I started a yogaflex class 3 years ago and that made important changes in my flexibility. Movement is very important, I've found.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    48yo male. I started strength training for the first time in my life in January, 2017. Competed in a powerlifting competition last October. I've probably been in better CV fitness before but I've never been stronger in my life. Squats and deadlifts pretty much fixed my knee, back and hip pain. You can put on muscle after 40. Just have to train intelligently which means proper attention to diet and especially recovery.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My challenge at age 53 is knee arthritis. I have been in physio for months but it is still chronically swollen. I gave up what little running I was doing (maybe 10 miles per week) and have switched to biking instead. Maybe someone in this thread can help me with some insight? I have tri-compartmental OA which means that offload bracing is not an option. Has anyone seen an improvement of their arthritis enough to go back to running through weight loss when all else failed? I would prefer to never have to have a knee replacement.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm 68.

Did extensive strength training as well as "excessive" cardio (rowing) for 2 yrs and gained significant strenth while increasing muscle mass and losing wt and fat in the process.

Got down to 150 from 200# in wt and reduced my BF to 8% but got burnt out doing that.

I haven't done any wt trainng for the past yr, just cardio on my rower. Have lost strength and increased wt and fat as,a result which rose to 157 and 13% respectively. Still decent numbers.

I'm only interested in maintaing my wt now but I may start weight training again soon just to regain the strength I've lost and will continue to row daily as I have for the past 3 yrs.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    My challenge at age 53 is knee arthritis. I have been in physio for months but it is still chronically swollen. I gave up what little running I was doing (maybe 10 miles per week) and have switched to biking instead. Maybe someone in this thread can help me with some insight? I have tri-compartmental OA which means that offload bracing is not an option. Has anyone seen an improvement of their arthritis enough to go back to running through weight loss when all else failed? I would prefer to never have to have a knee replacement.

I am not "older" in the context of this thread by any stretch of imagination. That said, I have had 4 major knee surgeries and years of physical therapy. Questions - have you seen an orthopedic surgeon and have you had any imaging done on your knees (and if so what type)? Also how frequently are you doing your physical therapy exercises and how closely does your ortho (if you have one) and your physical therapist work together?

I'm assuming the answers to those first two questions are yes. If so I would say go back to your ortho and let them know that you're not actually seeing any improvement. There might be something different that can be done, a additional diagnosis that may end up being made, etc that could change the course of your treatment. Also don't be afraid of second opinions.

You might end up having to give up running (I know very active people younger than you who have had to), but it's far too early to tell.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Now that I've "arrived" at my target weight, I feel a sense of relief that I'm no longer in self-exile Army boot camp so I don't need to train like I have the past 5 months to drop 35 lbs. I do have an affinity towards tough anaerobic-style cardio with kettlebells and running but I don't judge it as excessive although others may.

Having spent time in the past training with the Olympic lifts and then heavy barbell training, there's no doubt much benefit for lifting weights but I don't do that now and get my strength training by doing some challenging kettlebell workouts using 20kg and 24kg kettlebells. Good enough for me at this chapter in my fitness life.

Honestly, unless one has a particular goal in mind, cardio-wise, a brisk walk 30 minutes a day, five days a week is more than sufficient cardio, in my opinion.
  • 33gail33
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I am not "older" in the context of this thread by any stretch of imagination. That said, I have had 4 major knee surgeries and years of physical therapy. Questions - have you seen an orthopedic surgeon and have you had any imaging done on your knees (and if so what type)? Also how frequently are you doing your physical therapy exercises and how closely does your ortho (if you have one) and your physical therapist work together?

I'm assuming the answers to those first two questions are yes. If so I would say go back to your ortho and let them know that you're not actually seeing any improvement. There might be something different that can be done, a additional diagnosis that may end up being made, etc that could change the course of your treatment. Also don't be afraid of second opinions.

You might end up having to give up running (I know very active people younger than you who have had to), but it's far too early to tell.

Thanks for your response. I have not yet seen an ortho. I have had Xray, ultrasound and MRI through my family doctor. I was referred to the rapid access knee and hip clinic at our local hospital, my knee and my images were assessed by a physiotherapist, and I was advised that I would not be able to see an ortho until minimum 6 months conservative (physio and anti-inflammatories) therapy because the next step is cortisone and they don't like to do that too early lest they run out of tools in the arsenal. (Yay Canadian health care) This was in February after starting physio in November. They advised me to get a custom brace, but the brace consultant doesn't feel like it will help much due to the tri-compartmental arthritis. If they unload the medial compartment, it might just cause more pain in the lateral. And the "worst" of my arthritis is sub-patellar which can't really be braced. I do about 30 minutes a day of physio (at home) and see my therapist once a week now.
    I am just kind of at the end of my rope and feel like I am getting brushed off because my pain isn't extreme and I can still walk and function. But I am only 54 (next month) and have been told that having such severe unilateral knee arthritis at my age is unusual without a pre-existing injury. By the time I was diagnosed my knee had been chronically swollen for 12+ months (yes I let it go at first not realizing how bad it was) and I couldn't fully extend my knee.
    I have gained 40lbs over the last few years so my hope now is that losing that weight again will help. So was really hoping to hear some success stories in that regards. I really, really, really do not want to eat a keto diet - lol - but I am even considering that given what I have heard about it helping with inflammation.
    And yeah I began physio with the caveat that I didn't wan't to stop running - but at this point that is seeming less and less realistic. I am off running *temporarily* to see if that helps.
  • aokoye
    Options

Thanks for your response. I have not yet seen an ortho. I have had Xray, ultrasound and MRI through my family doctor. I was referred to the rapid access knee and hip clinic at our local hospital, my knee and my images were assessed by a physiotherapist, and I was advised that I would not be able to see an ortho until minimum 6 months conservative (physio and anti-inflammatories) therapy because the next step is cortisone and they don't like to do that too early lest they run out of tools in the arsenal. (Yay Canadian health care) This was in February after starting physio in November. They advised me to get a custom brace, but the brace consultant doesn't feel like it will help much due to the tri-compartmental arthritis. If they unload the medial compartment, it might just cause more pain in the lateral. And the "worst" of my arthritis is sub-patellar which can't really be braced. I do about 30 minutes a day of physio (at home) and see my therapist once a week now.
    I am just kind of at the end of my rope and feel like I am getting brushed off because my pain isn't extreme and I can still walk and function. But I am only 54 (next month) and have been told that having such severe unilateral knee arthritis at my age is unusual without a pre-existing injury. By the time I was diagnosed my knee had been chronically swollen for 12+ months (yes I let it go at first not realizing how bad it was) and I couldn't fully extend my knee.
    I have gained 40lbs over the last few years so my hope now is that losing that weight again will help. So was really hoping to hear some success stories in that regards. I really, really, really do not want to eat a keto diet - lol - but I am even considering that given what I have heard about it helping with inflammation.
    And yeah I began physio with the caveat that I didn't wan't to stop running - but at this point that is seeming less and less realistic. I am off running *temporarily* to see if that helps.

Bleck yeah that sounds like a mess and was more or less what I was worried about (not having been to an ortho because you don't have easy access to one). I would be really transparent, if you haven't been already, with your physical therapist with regards to your symptoms not getting better and push for them to try to figure out what other things they can do to help. That and figuring out how to manage the swelling (which I would imagine you'd be able to do without eating anything close to a ketogenic diet). I suspect it's going to be an issue of biding your time until you can see an orthopedic surgeon in six months.

For my set of surgeries I ended up having to do the "wait X number of months before anything other than PT is put on the table." It was less than six months, but probably 3 or 4. That wasn't directly an issue of insurance, but my surgeon wanting to go the conservative route. The second set of surgeries didn't involve a long wait because it was really clear that PT wasn't going to do anything given the diagnosis and my symptoms. They were with a different, likely more conservative (in terms of treatment) surgeon.
  • 33gail33
    Options

Bleck yeah that sounds like a mess and was more or less what I was worried about (not having been to an ortho because you don't have easy access to one). I would be really transparent, if you haven't been already, with your physical therapist with regards to your symptoms not getting better and push for them to try to figure out what other things they can do to help. That and figuring out how to manage the swelling (which I would imagine you'd be able to do without eating anything close to a ketogenic diet). I suspect it's going to be an issue of biding your time until you can see an orthopedic surgeon in six months.

For my set of surgeries I ended up having to do the "wait X number of months before anything other than PT is put on the table." It was less than six months, but probably 3 or 4. That wasn't directly an issue of insurance, but my surgeon wanting to go the conservative route. The second set of surgeries didn't involve a long wait because it was really clear that PT wasn't going to do anything given the diagnosis and my symptoms. They were with a different, likely more conservative (in terms of treatment) surgeon.

Four surgeries - wow - I hope your injuries were resolved in the end. I fluctuate between wanting to do everything I can to avoid (eventual) surgery, and just saying "*kitten* it" and keep running and deal with the damage with a knee replacement if need be. But I have never had any type of surgery and imagine avoiding is the more prudent option if possible. And I am kind of a wimp about getting knocked out. :) For now I guess I should at least wait and see what the ortho says when I finally get there.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, get your name on the list to see an orthopedist. Even if you have to wait 6 months, you need an expert. My husband had knee issues. His knee would swell to the size of a canteloupe. Ice usually helped, but eventually they had to drain the synovial fluid from it. To put off the time of surgery, he tried shots in his knee. Not cortisone, but a product called Synvisc. There are similar ones with other names that are all essentially artificial synovial fluids. They pad the joint when the mensicus no longer can. His first shots worked for about a year. He was able to do a long distance hike afterwards (6 months, 2700 miles.) The second set of shots worked for about 6 months. Eventually he ended up with a knee replacement. He was able to go back to hiking, but not at his previous level. A good friend who is a runner did the shots for several years, then got a knee replacement. She was back to running HMs in six months.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,186 Member
    Options

I don't have the extent of OA you do, and am uncertain of type (I have at least one torn meniscus and mild knee OA in both knees, so the meniscus is more my focus). In my case, weight loss made a very material improvement in extent and frequency of pain, not a full relief, but much more manageable much more often. I hope for the same for you!

I also found that getting to a healthy weight, maybe entirely by itself, seems to have reduced systemic inflammation (based on self-assessment of symptoms, tbh, not tests - though tests show other health markers improved). My diet includes most of the same things I've long eaten (even while obese), because I've long been a fairly healthy eater (just too much, in the past, mostly). I'd say I do eat relatively more veggies/fruits than previously, so that's another possible explanation (though I never ate really few of them). I've not eaten low carb or keto, usually eat around 200g carbs +/- in maintenance, close to that while losing, because I'm vegetarian.

Bizarrely, wool knee warmers (all day/all night) seem to help me sometimes when there's a flare, and either ice or heat (under different circumstances) sometimes help. Massage helps with tightness/imbalances that develop in compensation for discomfort, maybe worth trying if that's something you can afford. I very unexpectedly got fairly lasting relief from an acupuncturist once (even though I'm not really a believer!), but have not repeated (it was done by my kung fu teacher who's an acupuncturist in a distant state, during a rare visit here).

Hope you find something that helps!
  • aokoye
    Options

Four surgeries - wow - I hope your injuries were resolved in the end. I fluctuate between wanting to do everything I can to avoid (eventual) surgery, and just saying "*kitten* it" and keep running and deal with the damage with a knee replacement if need be. But I have never had any type of surgery and imagine avoiding is the more prudent option if possible. And I am kind of a wimp about getting knocked out. :) For now I guess I should at least wait and see what the ortho says when I finally get there.

Yeah these were all "we need to avoid you needing a knee replacement" sort of surgeries. So elective yes, but also not having them would have sped up the need for a surgery that was more intense and one that has larger implications (one can only have so many. Not having surgery would have worsened the minimal arthritis in both knees. I was under 25 for the first two and I had the last two when I was 29 and 30 (they were essentially revisions because the first two were done just prior to really important research being published). That said, both knees were subluxing, I had bilateral patella alta (which the first surgeon didn't catch but the second did very quickly), and I don't have a trochlear groove on the right side.

But yeah, the second set of surgeries seems to have addressed all of the issues I was having. I don't know if anyone would be surprised if 10 or 15 years down the line I start having major issues again but hopefully those won't be a "you're too young for a knee replacement even though that's really what you need now" sort of issues.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I think I'm too young for this thread at 52, but ...

Last year, on my 51st birthday weekend, I cycled a 300 km randonnee.

Sadly, my husband had a really bad workplace accident about 13 days later (Mar 22), and most of my cycling etc. went out the window. We were all set to cycle a 360 km the weekend after his accident, and a 400 km a couple weeks later. Had to cancel. :(

On a somewhat happier note, I ran my first half marathon in mid-January this year. And my husband was strong enough to walk/jog a 5K! :)