is this oatmeal good?

Options
Hi there! My name is Jonathan and I'm 19 years old. As of this morning I weigh 359.8, I started on Sunday March, 3 2019 at 370.1lbs. I've been really happy at seeing the scale go down as it has not in a very long time. Now, I'm just hoping im eating right and I hope the foods I think are good are good, and not bad. I recently started eating oatmeal with my eggwhites and toast in the morning, the oatmeal is called "Quaker Instant Oatmeal" Strawberries and Cream. Now, I'm only having one packet, not two, only one. But, is this even good for my diet?

Nurtrition facts for it here:

Serving Size : 1 Packet
Calories: 130
Total fat: 2g
Saturated: 0.5g
Tans: -
Poly: 0.5g
Mono: 1g
Choles: 0mg
Sodium: 180mg
Total Carbs: 27g
Dietary fiber: 2g
Sugar: 12g
Protein: 3g

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing good or bad really. Whatever diet you can sustain for a long period of time while remaining in a deficit is the best diet. Oatmeal is a staple in my diet because it has protein and fiber. It’s also warm and keeps me happy!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Jonathan and I'm 19 years old. As of this morning I weigh 359.8, I started on Sunday March, 3 2019 at 370.1lbs. I've been really happy at seeing the scale go down as it has not in a very long time. Now, I'm just hoping im eating right and I hope the foods I think are good are good, and not bad. I recently started eating oatmeal with my eggwhites and toast in the morning, the oatmeal is called "Quaker Instant Oatmeal" Strawberries and Cream. Now, I'm only having one packet, not two, only one. But, is this even good for my diet?

Sounds like a really tiny breakfast if that's all you're eating?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Not all he's having see bolded
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    There are no 'bad' foods or 'good' foods.

I have a few boxes of those oats in my cupboard right now (in various flavors). I like using one packet with one serving of regular quick oats (this is a meal for me). I enjoy the flavoring of the instant packets and how quick they are to prepare :)

OP, as long as the oatmeal is fitting into your calorie allowance and you enjoy eating it then it's all good!
  • Hybridchld
    Hybridchld Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes it's good. It's something you enjoy and it fits your goals so that's all that really matters.

You're just starting off so all you need to do to make progress is say in a deficit. One of the most helpful things for me when I started was finding things I liked to eat that could keep me full and in a deficit, when you find a food like that don't worry about anything else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Not all he's having see bolded

Unless he's eating 8 egg whites and 4 slices of toast it's not many calories given OPs size.

No idea what bolded you're talking about?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I Iike flavored oatmeal, but try to get the lower sugar version. If you like it, you feel satisfied, and it fits within your goals, it's fine.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Look at the calories of everything you eat and how much it satiated and satisfied you.

Do an A, B, C comparison: was this item more satisfying for whatever reason or more satiating for whatever reason then that item given the calories i spent on it?

Your coin is calories. and your allotment is determined by your goals (and activities)

your goal is to get as much satisfaction as you can out of the whole mix!

For now don't be afraid to experiment with new things that you just might get to like and which may prove to be great bargains!!!

Or even to test the occasional oldie but goodie... hey I no longer eat muffins, because I don't find them a great bargain, but I do eat scones... or fruit, or both!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It’s all about what works for you. For me that would be too much added sugar - I prefer to make my own oatmeal with real berries, milk, and Greek yogurt. But the main thing is, does it make you feel satisfied until time to eat lunch? Is it convenient and cost-effective for you to make it? The best option for you is the one that helps you stick to your goals. Chasing after some arbitrary definition of “good” foods and giving up because it’s too difficult to stick to is what you want to avoid. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be good enough.
  • JohnDaConqueror
    JohnDaConqueror Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! Very helpful!