Weekly pizza--how to manage?

Options
I have a group of friends that I volunteer with--we are all volunteer dog trainers at a shelter. On Saturday nights we all either get a pizza or two to share or we all go out for pizza. I used have a wine or a beer and three pieces of pizza. I think I'll try to cut it down to 1-2 pieces of pizza and add a salad. I can switch the alcohol for unsweetened tea (or keep the alcohol).

Saturday also happens to be the day that I do my shelter volunteering. I spend around 4-5 hours in the shelter, half of that is walking/handling/training/assessing dogs; the rest is less strenuous--cleaning the office, training other volunteers on how to handle dogs, teaching classes, helping the public pick out a potential pet, and visiting with fellow volunteers and shelter employees.

Does anyone pre-load their daily food diary with what they know they are going to eat for dinner and then work backwards for breakfast and lunch?

This is my main social event of my life! I don't want to give it up, I'd like to incorporate it into my diet. Right now I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm starting with small changes. As time goes by, I'll maybe switch entirely to a salad.

Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks Y'all! What does a maintenance day look like? I've read about it a few times, but don't know exactly what it is or how to do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks Y'all! What does a maintenance day look like? I've read about it a few times, but don't know exactly what it is or how to do it.

its just the number of calories that you maintain on. so if your calorie goal is 1500, and you're set to lose 1lb per week, then maintenance would be eating 2000 calories for the day.
  • tshawnw8948
    tshawnw8948 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely pre load my meals for the day, that way I know where I have some "wiggle" room and how much I need to push to work out for the day. I always readjust the next day to reflect the truth, and surprisingly I stay within my range most of the time. If I do happen to go over, I know the next day that I must push a little more for a work out or readjust my intake in some areas. If I know I am going to an event or doing something special for the weekend, I pre load for that as well (scan the menu days before) and bank calories when I can for those events.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    millzy64 wrote: »
    My trick for pizza meals is to eat it with a fork and knife. I can eat just 2 slices at the meal and have it last the whole time. Before I started doing that I had very little control over how much of it I would eat. Folding the slice in my hand and inhaling half a pizza in 15 minutes was no problem at all.

This is a great idea. We are celebrating National Pi day in the office today with pizza. I'll try this!
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Why not work out how many calories you normally consume in food and how much is alcohol . This gives you a clear starting point to decide what to cut out , reduce or stay the same! So one week you may decide no alcohol but normal pizza and the next week you may fancy a beer which means cutting down on pizza .
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the work that you do for these animals. There is no more deserving population than shelter doggos. <3 The last three furbabies I've had have been shelter animals, and I have never known such steadfast, loyal companions in my life.

I echo everyone here - don't skip the night out! These are the things that keep us sane!! Maybe cut down to 1-2 slices of pizza, but keep the beer/wine. =]

And echoing everyone again, I log my days in advance, and then adjust as I go along - especially if I know I have an outing or a beer tasting or whatever event. =]
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The weekly calorie settings is a very useful tool if you decide to skim 100 calories from the other days of the week. Learn your maintenance calories as well. I find it useful to know I can have a day at maintenance calories any time. Knowing I can be at maintenance for one day then back to a deficit the following day helps keep me from making poor decisions and binging on thousands of calories more than I had planned for. I log everything to keep myself accountable. Don’t be surprised if the scale bumps up for a day or two after due to water weight fluctuations
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do pre-log sometimes to account for treats. Last night I had a mini deep dish veggie pizza. My lunch and breakfast were lighter.

:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every day, it's especially helpful for things like this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I used to eat > 1000 calories of pizza in a meal; now I have < 500 with the help of a big salad.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My rescue dog. He was a lot of work at first to get him over separation anxiety and teach him how to walk on a leash without pulling my arm off (and boy could he pull!), but well worth it.

b969ilu3418b.jpg

(Sadly, he died young from lymphoma.)

He was a beauty. Thanks for all you did for him. <3