Garmin's newest watches

Options
Probably nobody in here will use any of these, they're too expensive. If you think it's crazy that an iPhone could cost $1,000, Garmin is charging $2,500 for a watch.

I'm posting this because it's a clue to what the next Fenix and ForeRunner might be like. After the F3 had been on the market a while, Garmin made a crazy expensive version (Chronos) of similar hardware with an improved UI. That UI found its way into the F5 series. It looks like history is repeating itself.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/03/garmin-marq-series-detailed-overview-hands-on.html

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with the fenix. Love my 5X.
    Maybe they are trying get proje that buy Rolex watches to consider a smart watch. There are people who won't even look at a watch that costs less than $1K. I don't understand them. But they exist.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I would never drop that sort of money on a watch, but note this bit from his review:
    Garmin will only be selling these watches through high-end watch shops (some of which sold the Garmin CHRONOS lineup previously, but most are new to Garmin). That’s a big shift for Garmin, which won’t offer the watches through retailers that are specific to each product group. Garmin says they expect customers looking at this range of watches to be going to dealers that sell TAG, Breitling and others – and thus, they’d likely already have a connection with that watch shop.

Being someone who isn't into watches, I looked up Breitling and those watches start at $2,000 but the bulk of them are over $6,000 and there are multiple that are over $50,000. Tag Heuer starts at $1,600 and also produces watches that cost oer $50,000. That includes multiple smart watches that are in the same price range as the Garmin Marq, but probably do less. I suspect really their competing with the Tag Heuer Modular Connected watches. Specifically the ones with the digital watch faces (as opposed to the traditional faces).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The only things that I think will make it to a next generation watch is the Sony chipset and maybe the face.

It's mostly a Fenix 5 (Descent, Approach, whatever the flight watch is) with better materials. But I do like the idea of 2 week-while-hiking-GPS battery life
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    now i just want a new garmin.... :laugh:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I really wish the nylon watchband wasn't $199.99. Weaving a watch strap by hand would cost less than that (and that's with paying someone a fairly for their labor and the cost of the materials). Unless the findings are actually silver or some other expensive metal/alloy...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    The only things that I think will make it to a next generation watch is the Sony chipset and maybe the face.

The UI looks more polished. When you're getting ready to start an activity, and the summary details afterwards. I would be shocked if that didn't find its way into the next Fenix and FR. The "quick launch" menu (that looks like a circle) was introduced in the Chronos and was in mainstream watches a year later.
  • ElizabethReeslnn
    ElizabethReeslnn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can think about smart watch
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    now i just want a new garmin.... :laugh:

I'd need to win the lottery first!