Would you date someone you work with ?

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    No. Too much potential for drama. My co-workers are nosy and I don't want them in my business like that.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    No.
    I had a boss once that had a thing for me. It was so awkward. I tried to ignore it. Maybe I just have a skewed opinion from that situation tho.

If if was someone I "liked" I think it would be too much together time. I like lots and lots of space. I also like to keep my work and private life separate
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hell to the no. It's one of my rules. Too messy, too involved, and if things don't work it just makes things awkward af.
  • _DevinCianna_
    _DevinCianna_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    No. Too much potential for drama. My co-workers are nosy and I don't want them in my business like that.

This! It’s hard for people not to be in your business, what if you mutually liked someone and he got s new job?
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nope, just if something goes wrong, it can get really messy. And its always the people who seem like they'll never end up like that, that do. So I'll pass.
  • DBNGUY786
    DBNGUY786 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I married someone I worked with. We were both serving our Auditing Internship/Articles. Still going strong and happy after nearly 10 years
  • _DevinCianna_
    _DevinCianna_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you liked someone who worked at the same job but she eventually got another job would you try your hand then?
  • butdidyoudie911
    butdidyoudie911 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mkbrockman wrote: »
    No
    Always leads to trouble. Imagine your co-worker, who’s also your ex talking about how you are in the bed at work

this happened to me lmao. I dated a guy when I was 21. We had intense sexual chemistry and all that goes with that. I ended up working where he does when I was 25 and when people in his department said I was "attractive", he thought that was a good time to tell people all of our sexual exploits with each other, which was then later relayed to me in the cafeteria when someone wanted to meet me because of "things he heard".....(which he told me, but I won't post here) AWKWARD.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    NO!
    I work for one of the largest hiring organization in the USA and its a no no. I am a manager and the executives would be be on me like stink on a pig.
    Beside it would be weird. My wife for the 47 years might not appreciate it (she might be a tad angry).
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation.

When I was younger and a food service worker/bartender, I met my ex of 5.5 years at work. I was front of house and he was back of house. We then worked together at 2 more jobs after that. We specifically made sure that nothing ever affected the job and it worked as we worked different types of jobs. I actually had a boss who refused to hire him herself and made someone else take the blame if it didn't work out. She said we were the only ones that she would hire again because there was no drama. The biggest issue for work was that we would often ask to take the same days off which they didn't like.

Now that I'm in a career, I think I wouldn't do it again. There is just too much to risk now that I didn't have before...
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I have and married him. We’re still married!!
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    that sounds like the exact opposite of a good idea.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    No. I need my space.
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrible
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have. Twice. The first time I dated the art director of another magazine published by my company. So while we worked in the same office, we did not work together. We dated a couple of months and ended on friendly terms, so it never really was awkward...even going out together in a group afterwards.

The second colleague I dated was actually a freelance graphic designer who came to work on my magazine (different company). Our relationship was probably the worst kept secret ever. But it was a pretty incestuous company. Everyone was sleeping with everyone and there were several marriages as well. We continued our relationship even after I moved on to another job. Until he left New York to go to grad school. He was actually my longest relationship up until my current one. But we are still friends now, and have both married other people.

I obviously don't have a problem with dating a coworker, although I think if it is a direct report or supervisor it can be dangerous. I know a number of people who have met their partners on the job. After all, it is where people spend most of their waking hours, and it does create some common bond.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    yeah, sure... I have. It was cool; no worries.

*shrug