I need career advice

j_c_29
j_c_29 Posts: 25 Member
Which career path is best to follow in Australia to make lots of money? Podiatry, software engineering, software architect, physiotherapy, or chiropractic? I am able to study any course without worrying about student loans so you don't have to consider student loans.

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    computer/cyber security!
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    I suggest the one that would make you happy not the one that would make you the most money.

However, there is lots of money in software engineering architecture, but it is also a lot of work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Politics. <-- joke response
    Business, started, your own. <-- serious response.

3 examples.
    1. My mother had a cousin who never learned to read, yet started and operated 2 businesses to support his family.
    2. I have one sister who started 1 business at the age of 23 with zero experience, zero product, zero customers, and zero education. She had dropped out of high school. She had her first $1M net year at the age of 28, is now 68 and has been earning multiple millions of USD for the past 40 years.
    3. I have another sister who started 1 business at the age of 55 with only juco education, 1 year of experience, and no customers in the field of landscape design. She built it into a thriving business and saved enough to build up her retirement security.

It's too damned easy to make a lot of money owning your own business to NOT do it. All you have to do is get up in the morning and bust your *kitten*.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    I think you should determine what your skills and interests are and than make your career choice. EX: if a ditch digger was making 500K a year would you want to do ditch digging for the next 45 years.
    Find something your good at and make that your career.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    What's the difference between a career and a job though. I only have had jobs and always will. Never wanted a career. Once you start getting paid to do anything, it ceases to be pleasurable anymore if you know what I mean. Go with a job, that's where it's at.
  • StormToday
    StormToday Posts: 46 Member
    Mean_Spice wrote: »
    I think you should determine what your skills and interests are and than make your career choice. EX: if a ditch digger was making 500K a year would you want to do ditch digging for the next 45 years.

If ditch diggers made 500k a year *kitten* yes I'd dig *kitten* ditches all goddamned day.

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited March 2019
    Healthcare m8. Aging population...go rural. But don’t do it for the money or you just earn misery.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    What's the difference between a career and a job though. I only have had jobs and always will. Never wanted a career. Once you start getting paid to do anything, it ceases to be pleasurable anymore if you know what I mean. Go with a job, that's where it's at.

A job is selling shoes at the mall, manning the window at the drive-thru, punching the clock at the factory or wearing a goofy costume in front of the ambulance chasing lawyer's office. Anyone can get a job. Moving from one to another is usually a lateral move. Cultivating a career requires work and dedication and allows upward mobility. You'll have to learn new skills to pursue new paths in a field of your choosing.

You may like the fields you listed, and can study to your hearts content, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to find work when you graduate. There are plenty of websites that will tell you what the hottest fields are right now, and what the demands for bodies will be by the time you graduate. I read somewhere, in the US, there are more students in school studying law than there are practicing lawyers. You'd have to be sharp as a tack and able to sell yourself to get hired. Before you make a decision, find out what skills are the highest in demand, and go from there. Don't rule out moving to the place where the demand is highest.
  • j_c_29

3 examples.
    1. My mother had a cousin who never learned to read, yet started and operated 2 businesses to support his family.
    2. I have one sister who started 1 business at the age of 23 with zero experience, zero product, zero customers, and zero education. She had dropped out of high school. She had her first $1M net year at the age of 28, is now 68 and has been earning multiple millions of USD for the past 40 years.
    3. I have another sister who started 1 business at the age of 55 with only juco education, 1 year of experience, and no customers in the field of landscape design. She built it into a thriving business and saved enough to build up her retirement security.

It's too damned easy to make a lot of money owning your own business to NOT do it. All you have to do is get up in the morning and bust your *kitten*.

How did your first sister start a business and become so successful so quickly? What does her business do and how did she make it so successful?
  • j_c_29
    Healthcare m8. Aging population...go rural. But don’t do it for the money or you just earn misery.

Can healthcare in Australia earn more than working with computers? I do not want to go through medical school though. I know there are other jobs in the healthcare industry but they dont make as much money than med school graduates. For example, podiatry does not require going to med school but the pay is only on average 60k AUD a year. I wish to earn about 100k a year.
  • j_c_29
    jgnatca wrote: »

Working with seniors will guarantee job security but the pay may not be as high as compared to computer programming. I don't want to go to med school and the other careers in healthcare do not pay as much.
  • j_c_29
    thanos5 wrote: »
    computer/cyber security!

Is this true in Australia? Is it a difficult job? Some people say it is not difficult as you get to work from home etc. Some people say it is highly challenging. How skilled do i need to be? Can I get a job that pays well as a fresh graduate or does this job require lots of experience and talent before even being considered for the job?
  • j_c_29
    I suggest the one that would make you happy not the one that would make you the most money.

However, there is lots of money in software engineering architecture, but it is also a lot of work.

The thing is, i dont know which will make me happy. Most jobs sound decent to me.
  • j_c_29
    Mean_Spice wrote: »

I feel like Im the type of person who can do anything fairly well just as long as i focus into it. That means I would be able to get through the studying for any career. But I want to know which career I should start studying that will be the most lucrative and provide a decent quality of life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2019
    j_c_29 wrote: »

3 examples.

How did your first sister start a business and become so successful so quickly? What does her business do and how did she make it so successful?

Her words, "You do what you have to do."
    She started with a saw, a warehouse space, and a telephone.
    She made cold calls to 'Machine Shops" in the Dallas Yellow Pages, offering to sell custom cut brass and copper. She didn't actually have any brass or copper to cut.
    On Thursday of the first week of her effort, she found a machinist who needed a bunch of bushings. He specified the size and quantity he needed and the price he would pay. She had her first purchase order. She took the purchase order to a bank. Using it as collateral she borrowed enough money to buy a 40' tube of brass. She took delivering of that tube, which was delivered by rail to her warehouse, and girl-handled it onto her saw and cut it into as many bushings as she needed. She then carried those bushings to the machinist in her car and received a check in payment. She went directly to the bank and payed off the loan, then went back to the telephone looking for more customers. At this point she had a tiny bit of inventory. She continued this day after day, finding new customers in TX, OK, and LA, doing all the labor herself. After 5 months of a growing business, her husband decided that he should quit all his commissioned sales activities and do the heavy labor for her while she stayed on the phone finding business.

After 2 decades of trading in physical brass and copper, she decided to offer hydraulic steel tubing. This is expensive chrome plated metric dimensioned stainless steel tubing which she sources from a mill in Romania. Making this move was the biggest decision she ever made. She said that she bought $5 million of tubes to have inventory to respond to expected demand. It took her 2 years to sell all that inventory. Her standard markup was 400%. Yes, that's $20 million. During this phase of her business she told me that on any given day, 3 shipping containers were on the high seas bringing steel tubing to her.

Her customers now are all over North and South America.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    j_c_29 wrote: »

The thing is, i dont know which will make me happy. Most jobs sound decent to me.

So, regarding the bold, what kind of work have you done in the past? Are you presently working? It may be a good idea to do some internship or shadow people in the fields you are interested in FIRST and then proceed.

I may be mistaken, but it sounds like you could benefit from some experience in several fields first before pursuing an education for one of them.