Please help me understand this.

Options
2»

Replies

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do people advocating eating back only 50% of estimates actually think the estimates are not just inflated but DOUBLED?

And not just for some exercise but as an average of a huge selection of exercises?

Just my personal experience: when I compare the estimate on my Fitbit (which I know from experience is accurate for me) to the estimate from, say, a treadmill, the treadmill is more but it has never been anything close to doubled.

The treadmill readout will give you the TOTAL calories you burned during the time.
    The Fitbit adjustment is the difference between what you would have burned without exercise (which is included in your NEAT) and the total exercise calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Why does no one ever say calorie balance determines weight loss, but exercise is for fun?

'Cause it is. If it isn't, keep trying stuff until you find something that is, because that's where the magic is. The fun exercise activity will eventually get you doing others, to be better at the fun one.

Yeah, yeah, exercise is good for fitness, exercise is good for health, exercise is good for strength; strength, fitness, and health make daily life easier and improve odds of a long, satisfying, independent life. Good stuff, highly worthwhile.

But blah, blah, blah. Fun is what gets this lazy, hedonic li'l ol' lady off the couch.

Find the fun, eat to fuel the fun, plus to attain/maintain a healthy weight, and all will be well.

Fun!!

OP: IME, hunger is common in the first week or two: An adaptation period.

If it persists longer, experiment with what you eat, and when you eat, to figure out what satiates you personally. Satiation is very individual. Some things that satiate different people, either one or a combination: More protein, more fat, more volume (like a big bunch of low-cal high fiber veg, but there are other options), different eating schedules (one-two-three six meals a day, snacks or not, all day grazing, others), specific foods (some I've seen (or felt) are oatmeal, baked potatoes, whole grains, . . . .).

Don't try to eat "only healthy foods". Try to eat in an overall healthy way, getting good nutrition, plus some treats for joy, so you don't feel restricted or deprived.

Review your food diary on better or worse craving days; try to figure out what made the difference (food, sleep, stress, boredom, social triggers, emotions, habit, exercise, other). Use that knowledge to tweak your strategies. You can figure it out.

Best wishes!