Binge eating

I am a new mommy and I am trying to lose weight. My goal is 10 more lbs but I have found myself in the kitchen at 2am after breastfeeding:( it is taking a toll on my weight loss. Is there a way I can save up calories during the day to be able to have a snack at night? Or is nighttime snacking always going to lead to weight gain?

Replies

• jnayah98
    jnayah98 Posts: 5 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Meal timing won't affect weight loss, overall calories will. When I was nursing I got up all the time at night to eat, never had any issues. Make sure you aren't setting your goal too low, take it slow and steady. Congrats!

I'm eating about 1200-1400 Cal a day. Is that too low? I find it hard to eat healthy/high calorie foods while taking care of a baby at the same time.
  • jnayah98
    jnayah98 Posts: 5 Member
    jnayah98 wrote: »
    Meal timing won't affect weight loss, overall calories will. When I was nursing I got up all the time at night to eat, never had any issues. Make sure you aren't setting your goal too low, take it slow and steady. Congrats!

I'm eating about 1200-1400 Cal a day. Is that too low? I find it hard to eat healthy/high calorie foods while taking care of a baby at the same time.

Way too low. Nursing you need an extra 300-500cals at least. How many months postpartum are you? I ate at maintenance to lose the baby weight over 7 months, so around 2900cals.

Good way to add cals that are easy to grab and go: nuts, nut butters, granola, higher fat dairy, smoothies, dried fruit etc.

Oh dang! I'm 3 months pp. I will up my calories but I just don't want to gain everything back.
  • tinyavocados
    tinyavocados Posts: 4 Member
    I had MFP calculate my calorie goal for me for weight loss. They put me at 1,450. Then every day I log breastfeeding under exercise as a “cardio workout” that gives me a 500 calorie burn. This allows me to eat a good amount each day and I haven’t felt deprived at all!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I don't know what you are going through and I'm not a doctor, but I know eating!!! I don't believe that there is an issue with having a snack in the early AM. If you are going to have the inevitable snack, make it a good choice like have apples, pears, roasted/unsalted nuts ready to go (portioned out) and other better choices. I personally even have air popped popcorn in a bowl ready to go for a late night craving (30 calories a cup). If you are going to eat, at least get some fiber and good stuff in you! Congrats on the new baby!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    jnayah98 wrote: »

This is what can happen when you set your goal too low:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

That person would have been better off with a goal of 1600 or even 1800 calories per day.
  • NAHWilliams
    NAHWilliams Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm also a breastfeeding mom. To give you a heads up, the hormone that makes you lactate can also make you retain around ten pounds as emergency fuel. Being hungry at 2am- sounds like you're actually not eating enough during the day. In my non medical option, just one mom to another I recommend eating more nutrient dense foods during the day, and maybe you'll get to sleep longer.
  • kmblalock2016
    kmblalock2016 Posts: 15 Member
    focus on nutrient rich foods as well! not easy junky foods!
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2019
    When my kiddo was a newborn, I used to be always hungry after pumping in the middle of the night. I found having an apple or other fruit already cut up in a little bowl and ready in the fridge for me to have when I was done did the trick. Listen to your body - breastfeeding does take calories.