Eating Out

Options
2»

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I like cooking, and I like to think I am pretty good at it, so when we do eat out I hate it if it is something I could make at home only better. It feels like we wasted our money. So other than grabbing food if we are on a road trip, or when we are away on holiday, eating out only happens a couple or three times a year. At a really top notch place. Probably his birthday, my birthday, his mums birthday. I don’t want to break the calorie bank or my wallet on something that’s not totally worth it.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Takeaway/fast food isn't necessarily the enemy or as evil as some would have you believe.

I like takeaway food AND I hate cooking, so I'm going to make takeaway food work. I think a much better strategy is to develop approaches and strategies to enable you to enjoy the things you like than forbid them, deprive yourself and miss out on things that make you happy.

I eat out as much if not more often now than I did previously only now I am more informed and restrained. I order and consume takeaway like a responsible adult instead of a 7 year old hopped up on pixie-sticks.

This
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I eat out maybe once a week at most. I go to places that have listed calorie counts and order things that don't have as much room for error such as with a lot of calorie rich sauce. My go to is 2 shrimp tacos.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat out for lunch every day. I hate going to the break room at my office as it's always so crowded and I'm not a super social person. Also, were not allowed to eat meals at our desks. I will go to the deli section of a grocery store and get a wrap or light sandwich or go to somewhere fast food for a wrap or salad. I keep my choices between 450-575 cals total including dressings/toppings and sometimes I'll manually add an extra 25-50 cals if I think they may have been heavy handed in some way to try to account for it, I'm very strict with everything else I log, even logging my few pieces of gum throughout the day...

I have the same worry as you as I only have 15-20 lbs until goal weight and I've lost 45 so far. I've wondered as well if at some point this way of eating will hinder my loss but for now it doesn't seem to be having a negative effect. If at some point I hit a stall of a month or longer, this would be the first thing I addressed.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I take the calories into account that day with everything else I'm eating. I have to tell you I used to eat out so much because of laziness (and I still do sometimes) but ever since my husband and I had kids we have been adhering to a very strict schedule and that's helped me...well...forced me to meal plan very well. Its been nice not getting to that time of day every day and saying...well...whats for dinner this time?

Anyway, if you think this is the reason you are stalling then I'd wait another week doing the same routine then change something up. 2 weeks isn't too long. Add more exercise on those days or stop eating out and seeing if that helps. Because your right, the calories will be a little off.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you guys can afford the cost of eating out so much 😳 I think the last time we did was last week for the kiddo’s birthday and then before that was around 3 months ago. Maybe 4-5 times a year...order takeout another 2-3 times. It’s always so expensive compared to cooking! I love meal prepping and leftovers though 🙂

As long as you keep those calories under maintenance it won’t hinder weight loss compared to home cooked meals at the same calorie amount. BUT sodium from restaurant meals can cause excess water weight to hang on.