Am I wasting my time fasting?

Options
Hello all! This past week, I've been doing intermediate fasting. Other than one or two 100 cal snacks to keep me from feeling ill, I've only been eating dinner. Do you think this is a waste of time? I'e noticed about a 6 pound loss over the week, so I know it's doing something. I'm just not sure if it'll provide me with long-term results.

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Depends why your doing it
    The earlier I eat the hungrier I get.....
    So I skip breakfast and don't eat until 2pmish
    Helps me stick to my calorie goal and that's it
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting does not mean starving yourself. It is just a way of hoarding your calories for a particular time of day. Provided you are eating all the calories that MFP has given you, when you eat them is irrelevant.

But if you are only eating low calorie snacks then a low calorie dinner that brings you in well under your calorie goal you are doing it wrong.

I am not a fan of breakfast so I save those calories to eat later in the day. I suppose technically it is IF but I just think of it as my way of eating.
  • chaparra71
    chaparra71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    😂😂😂
  • JoPat409
    JoPat409 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I dropped 10 lbs over a month and half at start of year. Cutting down on portions and getting rid of junk food. Stalled a bit for a week so Three weeks ago I stopped eating after dinner and then turned it into IF. Sort of backed my way into it. Have lost 7 lbs since. Still maintaining the earlier habits of getting rid of junk. Not sure IF can get full credit. But I do think it has helped. My body has reacted very well to it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Hello all! This past week, I've been doing intermediate fasting. Other than one or two 100 cal snacks to keep me from feeling ill, I've only been eating dinner. Do you think this is a waste of time? I'e noticed about a 6 pound loss over the week, so I know it's doing something. I'm just not sure if it'll provide me with long-term results.

How much are you eating in this one meal? If you are doing OMAD, you are supposed to be eating your entire day of calories in one meal. So if you are only eating the same dinner you would normally eat in a 3 meal day, then that would be why you are feeling ill, because you are under eating.

IF is useful if you like it and find it helpful, not useful if you don't. IF didn't cause whatever weight loss you had, a calorie deficit did. You could make a deficit out of however many meals you choose. So if you find that IF helps you stay within your calorie goal (but still eating enough) and feel satisfied vs. eating normally during the day, then go for it. But it doesn't really sound like it's doing that for you, and if that's the case, you are wasting your time.