Water and kidney question

mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I was wondering if I might be having an issue or honestly drinking too much water at times. If I drink close to a gallon of water, my kidneys will hurt....it seems to be over 12 cups of water my kidneys will ache...am I getting too much or is my body just not used to larger amounts of water. My kidneys are right now a little achy and I have been drinking 12 cups for the past 2 days or so. Kidney problems run in my family (I don't know exactly what kind of problems...I was adopted and the info was vague).

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I have had kidney disease and was instructed not to drink excessive amounts of water as it causes your kidneys to be overworked. Make sure you are getting enough water but don't overdo it! I had to learn the hard way!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    It is possible to drink too much water...I would talk to your doctor soon.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    That's sounds like a lot of water, and it would hurt your kidney just don't over do it, that might help your kidneys from working to hard.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Suggest you check that out with your doc. Drinking that much water isn't necessary so it certainly doesn't hurt to cut out three glasses or so a day and see if the problem goes away. That might be diagnostic for the doc too. there is a phenomenon called "water hydrocution"--a harmful effect from too much water. Good luck!
  • mamax5
    Gonna call the doc tomorrow....another crazy thing is they will hurt( I mean HURT) if I don't get enough water as well! I need a happy medium!
  • WATER
    I have friends who were park rangers and came across many backpackers and hikers who got really ill when they drank too much water. So here's the thing: beyond a certain number of cups a day, you need to put a pinch of salt in each cup of water, to maintain what your body is supposed to have (too much water without salt puts you at an unhealthy imbalance). If you do that, you can have as many cups of water as you like and you'll be okay. I don't know the magic number, but I would guess somewhere around the 10 cup mark is where you start adding a little salt.

KIDNEYS
    I don't know enough about kidneys, but I know that you're supposed to eat a watermelon a week for six weeks, every year, to cleanse the kidneys (or equivalent amount of grapes if watermelon is not available). There are also lots of kidney cleanses online you could look up. I suppose you already eat a lot of raw parsley to support your weak kidneys?

Do you also support your kidneys with teas? You can buy a ready-made kidney tea, but you could obtain the ingredients in bulk bins at health food stores and make your own.

Here are good herbs to mix in equal proportions for your kidneys. You could drink 1-3 cups daily. Add 1T herbs to water after it's boiled and removed from heat. Brew 10-15 minutes, covered:

DANDELION LEAF - diuretic but high in potassium. Mildly stimulates liver and reduces inflammation, particularly of joints
    CORN SILK - demulcent, soothes and heals tissues and decreases inflammation and irritation of the urinary system. Mildly increases excretion of liver bile. Bile packages toxins for removal through stool / urine.
    CELERY SEED - mildly diuretic and stimulating. For sluggish kidney function and weak bladder. Stimulates circulation to and through kidneys.
    PIPSISSEWA - kidney, digestive and liver tonic, decongestant for lymphatic and supports a weak kidney system
    HYDRANGIA - anti stone formation, soothing urinary tonic.

Here's a green drink you can make that helps the kidneys. Just throw it all together in the juicer, then drink. You can also use a blender if you want it to be more like a smoothie.

Recipe 1
    4 Stalks Celery
    3 Sprigs Parsley
    1 Cucumber
    Half a lemon
    Water

Good luck, and improved health to you!
  • mamax5
    WATER
    I have friends who were park rangers and came across many backpackers and hikers who got really ill when they drank too much water. So here's the thing: beyond a certain number of cups a day, you need to put a pinch of salt in each cup of water, to maintain what your body is supposed to have (too much water without salt puts you at an unhealthy imbalance). If you do that, you can have as many cups of water as you like and you'll be okay. I don't know the magic number, but I would guess somewhere around the 10 cup mark is where you start adding a little salt.

KIDNEYS
    I don't know enough about kidneys, but I know that you're supposed to eat a watermelon a week for six weeks, every year, to cleanse the kidneys (or equivalent amount of grapes if watermelon is not available). There are also lots of kidney cleanses online you could look up. I suppose you already eat a lot of raw parsley to support your weak kidneys?

Do you also support your kidneys with teas? You can buy a ready-made kidney tea, but you could obtain the ingredients in bulk bins at health food stores and make your own.

Here are good herbs to mix in equal proportions for your kidneys. You could drink 1-3 cups daily. Add 1T herbs to water after it's boiled and removed from heat. Brew 10-15 minutes, covered:

DANDELION LEAF - diuretic but high in potassium. Mildly stimulates liver and reduces inflammation, particularly of joints
    CORN SILK - demulcent, soothes and heals tissues and decreases inflammation and irritation of the urinary system. Mildly increases excretion of liver bile. Bile packages toxins for removal through stool / urine.
    CELERY SEED - mildly diuretic and stimulating. For sluggish kidney function and weak bladder. Stimulates circulation to and through kidneys.
    PIPSISSEWA - kidney, digestive and liver tonic, decongestant for lymphatic and supports a weak kidney system
    HYDRANGIA - anti stone formation, soothing urinary tonic.

Here's a green drink you can make that helps the kidneys. Just throw it all together in the juicer, then drink. You can also use a blender if you want it to be more like a smoothie.

Recipe 1
    4 Stalks Celery
    3 Sprigs Parsley
    1 Cucumber
    Half a lemon
    Water

Good luck, and improved health to you!

Thanks so much! I had no idea....I'm going to try some of these things!