Most you’ve gained on scale from a cheat meal?

I am feeling a little frustrated and came here for some (hopefully) encouragement.

I have been diligent with sticking to my calorie goals for the last 3 weeks. I haven’t gone over by more than 100 calories any day (net)—until yesterday. I had a combination of feeling hungry much of the day plus a date night with my husband.

I made the conscious decision to go over on my calories for the day. I was over my net by almost 1,000. I counted my dinner at Chili’s: shared chips/salsa (it’s possible I may have not eaten exactly half the chips—could have been more, not sure, but I counted it as half), grilled chicken with rice and beans, and shared a dessert.

My weight is up this morning 2.6 lbs since yesterday! I so hope this is just mostly water weight. I expected a jump on the scale and have recently started using Happy Scale to watch the trend.

Please tell me, what’s the most you have seen the scale jump up in one day after a high calorie day? And how long does it usually take you to see the scale come back down somewhat after a high calorie/sodium meal?

Replies

• Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    I don’t know how much sodium affects my weight usually, but I looked at my log from yesterday. I was over 5,000 mg of sodium for the day. That should probably be higher because my salad at home at lunch included ingredients I had prepared with salt that I didn’t count the salt content.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me maybe 2lbs after a higher calorie day/days. I usually eat lighter during the week and heavier on weekends so I am used to the fluctuations and use Libra (trend weight app) so sort through it. The biggest jumps for me are actually from changes in my workout programming. 3-5lbs sometimes and if I keep up that volume the weight stays on and becomes my new normal. That was a bit alarming at first but again now I'm used to it.
  • TanJacked
    TanJacked Posts: 14 Member
    If you ate significantly higher carbs and sodium than usual, it's probably just some bloating. Carbs and sodium make your body rain every bit if water it can. It will be back to normal in not too long. I've gone of the rails and cheated a lot in a single day and weighed close to 10 lbs more the next morning, but it drops off fast.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    3 lbs. It's water weight. You can't gain that much fat from one meal or one day or even one weekend. My weight usually goes back down in 2-3 days, depending if it was just a meal or an entire bad weekend (it happens).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    To gain 2.6 pounds from fat you would have needed to eat around 9000 calories over maintence. Obviously you didn't do that. It'll be gone and then some by this time next week if you are back on track.
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    I am feeling a little frustrated and came here for some (hopefully) encouragement.

I have been diligent with sticking to my calorie goals for the last 3 weeks. I haven’t gone over by more than 100 calories any day (net)—until yesterday. I had a combination of feeling hungry much of the day plus a date night with my husband.

I made the conscious decision to go over on my calories for the day. I was over my net by almost 1,000. I counted my dinner at Chili’s: shared chips/salsa (it’s possible I may have not eaten exactly half the chips—could have been more, not sure, but I counted it as half), grilled chicken with rice and beans, and shared a dessert.

My weight is up this morning 2.6 lbs since yesterday! I so hope this is just mostly water weight. I expected a jump on the scale and have recently started using Happy Scale to watch the trend.

Please tell me, what’s the most you have seen the scale jump up in one day after a high calorie day? And how long does it usually take you to see the scale come back down somewhat after a high calorie/sodium meal?

For me the most was 4.5 lbs! I had several drinks plus a bunch of food. Logging wise I estimated I went over my cals by about 2500! Haha. It was a special occasion. No regrets. It was fun to go wild one night. Got back on track and was weighing normal again within about 5 days (water weight most likely)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    The most I’ve gained overnight was 12lb. I had a lot of Chinese takeout the day before, a heavy lifting session, and I was PMsing. In 3 days all but 4lb was gone and that last part was gone a week later.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    You’ll be fine in three or four days! This was me last week! I’m still now 1 pound from a week ago!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    5-7 ish lbs.
  • I am feeling a little frustrated and came here for some (hopefully) encouragement.

Once you understand the math, you can remove your anxiety from the picture.

3500 calories = 1 pound (roughly)

You can't gain a pound by eating only 1000 over your TDEE, so you KNOW it must be a combination of water weight (fluctuations) and the weight of food still in your GI tract.

1 gallon of water = 8 pounds (roughly)

Changes to the amount of sodium in your system leads to changes in the water weight you are carrying. Changes to your exercise regime leads to changes in the water weight you are carrying. Stress leads to changes in the water weight you are carrying. Eating carb-heavy foods leads to changes in the water weight you are carrying.

Some combination of these factors can easily add up to a few pounds. This is why daily weight is USELESS. The error margin due to water weight fluctuation masks any real data that can be obtained.

Personally, I have seen 7lbs of water weight lost over 24 hours.