Lunch; ☆
Oscar Mayer - Lunchables - Turkey & Cheddar With Crackers, 350 calories
Kellogg's - Special K Bar - Strawberry, 90 calories
Lipton - Diet Green Tea Citrus, 0 calories

Dinner; ✿
Bertolli - Chicken Florentine & Farfalle, 570 calories
Lipton - Diet Green Tea Citrus, 0 Calories

Snacks ツ
Kellog's Special K Bar - Strawberry , 1 bar 90 (calories)

Totals 1,100
Your Daily Goal 1,200
Remaining 100

Im currently in college, so breakfast for me is almost impossible (I wake up at 8:30, which is early. get me and my son ready, and then im gone) my day ends at 7. I have a hard time finding something to eat for lunch, I dont want to eat out so I just stop by the local walmart and all I have been able to find are lunchables (ideas?) there isnt a fridge i can use, but I did notice that they have a microwave in the student lobby.

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I get the frozen steamables.......they are good and I get under my goals with one for dinner or lunch.....its the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamables in the frozen section
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think that a banana (or any fruit really) is the ultimate fast food. Can you not buy some on the weekends and then eat that for breakfast? Nuts (raw almonds, walnuts) are also good for when you're on the go, but need some nourishment- you just shouldn't eat a lot of them (10-20 almonds/7-15 walnut halves). Just a few ideas. I'm sure that other MFP folks will have better ideas, though.
    good luck!
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would get a lunch bag/lunch box (the PlanetBox is super cool, but is expensive. However, it helps tremendously with portion control) and some of those flat "ice blankets." You could pack almost anything if you keep it cold with those "ice blankets." :)

Google "lunch ideas PlanetBox." That'll give you lots of ideas! :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Wake up 15 minutes earlier and eat breakfast. Cereal or Oatmeal or Scrambeled Eggs and Milk. None of takes long to make or eat.

Add more fruit and veggies to your diet. It will fill you up better and provide essential nutrients.

Can you buy lunch meat and pack a sandwich some days for lunch instead of a microwave meal? It'll likely be less sodium too. Oh and more veggies! (Carrots, celery, etc.) My co-worker swears by her lunch of a greek yogurt, Ciabatta roll and almond butter. But she's very slim and fit.

Finally, lots and lots of water. Carry a water bottle with you in your school pack and keep it filled.

Good luck!
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    I understand about breakfast time wise - but it is the most important meal of the day and if you eat breakfast and have a good dose of protien to start out your day - you will stay fuller/longer. I would suggest trying to lay off the processed carbs as much - the special K bars too. Nuts are a great source of protein w/healthy fats and help keep you full/longer. Just a couple of ideas ... Friend me if you'd like ... Love sharing my experience - especially if it helps in ANY way!
    Best wishes!
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think that a banana (or any fruit really) is the ultimate fast food. Can you not buy some on the weekends and then eat that for breakfast? Nuts (raw almonds, walnuts) are also good for when you're on the go, but need some nourishment- you just shouldn't eat a lot of them (10-20 almonds/7-15 walnut halves). Just a few ideas. I'm sure that other MFP folks will have better ideas, though.
    good luck!

I actually thought about taking some roasted peanuts i bought in a zip lock bag to munch on, and a banana does sound good for breakfast.
  • skyblue3
    Options
    one idea for lunch is peanut butter and jelly on reduced fat ritz crackers...it tastes really good, is low in calories, and fills you up!
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    hello! i like soup that is microwavable, good luck
  • chanederveld
    Options
    How about a tuna snack kit?? Granola bars?? Trail mix... fruits & veggies!!
  • patriot201
    Options
    Oh, and pack the night before. Then refrigerate.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    Wake up 15 minutes earlier and eat breakfast. Cereal or Oatmeal or Scrambeled Eggs and Milk. None of takes long to make or eat.

Add more fruit and veggies to your diet. It will fill you up better and provide essential nutrients.

Can you buy lunch meat and pack a sandwich some days for lunch instead of a microwave meal? It'll likely be less sodium too. Oh and more veggies! (Carrots, celery, etc.) My co-worker swears by her lunch of a greek yogurt, Ciabatta roll and almond butter. But she's very slim and fit.

Finally, lots and lots of water. Carry a water bottle with you in your school pack and keep it filled.

Good luck!

I'm drinking nothing but water, and a sandwhich i've thought about. but It's 30 minutes to my grandmas (who babysits for me) another 30 minutes back to town, then from town I have a 40 minute drive to my college. and its so hott im afraid that my food will ruin.
  • prettyone822
    Options
    agree w/the the frozen steamables.... lunchables in my opinion are not worth it and the amount of sodium is ridiculous...try cereal also... honey nut cherrios.... progresso soup, smart ones.... since alot of this is still high in sodium, drink TONS of water... also boiled egg whites are yummy... frozen section check out yoplait smoothies... yummy and feeling... or make ur own w/frozen fruits and throw protein in them....
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    Oh, and pack the night before. Then refrigerate.

I cant refridgerate, there is no where for me to store my food once im at school. the only thing they offer is a microwave (and a ton of vending machines. theyre's 8 -- and its a really small room!
  • Nikki_Gets_Fit
    Nikki_Gets_Fit Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student (with kids to get ready as well) and I actually grab a special K bar, or make toasted pita bread with laughing cow cheese and eat that in the car. And as far as lunch goes, I usually pack at smart ones, or lean cuisine and put it in a plastic grocery bag, and keep it in my book bag. I just have to knock off a little bit of time when I cook it since its is not completely frozen, but definitely still cold! We have Subway, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut on campus, so it is hard to pass anything up if I don't pack a lunch.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    agree w/the the frozen steamables.... lunchables in my opinion are not worth it and the amount of sodium is ridiculous...try cereal also... honey nut cherrios.... progresso soup, smart ones.... since alot of this is still high in sodium, drink TONS of water... also boiled egg whites are yummy... frozen section check out yoplait smoothies... yummy and feeling... or make ur own w/frozen fruits and throw protein in them....

I was looking on the package today and it's sad how much calories/sodium there is in one little package, and it doesnt exactly feel me up either. After I ate it I was pretty much thinking "well this was a waste and im going to be starving later and already had over 400 calories. "
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also a student and I use the following for snacks

almonds
    apples
    baby carrots
    cucumbers
    laughing cow light cheese wedges
    grapes
    peaches

For lunch I usually make a turkey sandwich or Peanut butter and jelly

I understand about breakfast when school is in session...I eat high protein power bars...I actually notice my energy is up when I eat these bars

hope this helps
  • kpaydar
    kpaydar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Advice from a registered dietitian:

Eating breakfast is essential! Would it help to wake up 30 minutes early and have a bowl of high fiber cereal with fat-free milk? Or a Special K Bar and a hard boiled egg?

Try meal preparation ahead of time so you can grab and go. The night before you can prepare your sandwiches, sliced veggies and wash your fruit.

Maybe on the weekends you can make a dozen hard boiled eggs so you can take along as a sncak.

Planning ahead can make your weight loss much easier, so take some time and plan your weekly menu and stick to it!

Hope this helps.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    I'm also a college student (with kids to get ready as well) and I actually grab a special K bar, or make toasted pita bread with laughing cow cheese and eat that in the car. And as far as lunch goes, I usually pack at smart ones, or lean cuisine and put it in a plastic grocery bag, and keep it in my book bag. I just have to knock off a little bit of time when I cook it since its is not completely frozen, but definitely still cold! We have Subway, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut on campus, so it is hard to pass anything up if I don't pack a lunch.

tell me about it, there are so many fast food places around here to eat!! im definitely going to have to try the frozen meal, im just alil paranoid that its going to ruin. cuz it will be in my backpack from 8am-1pm.
  • patriot201
    Options
    No, I meant at home. :) Refrigerate at home.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Grab you a box of Nature Valley bars so you can grab one in the mornings. You really need some fresh fruits and veggies. I know this must be hard for you but to feel good you need to eat good. I am up by 6:00'and don't get home till 6:00 pm I don't eat the healthiest but I have realized the better I eat the better I feel. I pray you find the answers for you.