Emotional eating and balance

I have always been an emotional eater. I have decided to try to stop allowing my emotions to be in control of my stomach. So I am thinking, just don't eat when very emotional.....

NOW, my issue, when I am extremely emotional about supper, I don't want to eat in that state of mind. What do I do to keep balance between getting my nutritional needs and NOT feeding the emotional eating monster? I don't want to be eating supper at 10. But I am super hungry.

Anyone else have that problem?

Replies

• Emotional eating, I'm there with you. Sometimes if I'm really upset, mad, happy (or whatever the reason is) I'll try to find something else to do. If that means sit down and have a good cry to get it out of my system then I do. When the 'storm' has passed I shake myself off and go to bed.

Hang in there sister, it does get better (or so I'm told) :wink:
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    You might want to try picking up the book Shrink Yourself by Dr. Roger Gould, MD. The first half of the book is a little dry but after that, it is really helpful for emotional eating. It is not a diet book so you won't find any recipes or anything like that - just strictly dealing with emotional eaters (like me!)
  • Emotional eating is VERY difficult to control. I've been there done that. What I've found is writing in a journal. I write down what I'm feeling, what I'm eating, my goals (whether for the day or for the long run), why I'm worth it, ect. It helps you realize what kinds of foods you eat when you are upset and help you learn to eat the right way and want to eat the right way. Friend me if you want. It takes a lot of support to get through emotional eating habits. Take care!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    You might want to try picking up the book Shrink Yourself by Dr. Roger Gould, MD. The first half of the book is a little dry but after that, it is really helpful for emotional eating. It is not a diet book so you won't find any recipes or anything like that - just strictly dealing with emotional eaters (like me!)

I have ordered "Food, Women, and God" I have been told it is good for this.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    I discovered that I am an emotional eater after noticing my habits when i feel lonely. That's when I got on this site. My husband travels a lot for work and after the baby goes to bed, I'm often left to my fridge and pantry. I spend a lot of time on this site now. I have a lot of supportive friends on here. My fingers stay busy typing and clicking away, and I don't feel as lonely. Maybe when you start feeling emotionally overwhelmed you could just log on and spend some time "hanging out" with your MFP friends. Just and idea. And please feel free to add me, if you'd like.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    If you are bad about emotionally eating, try waiting and calming down, but if you need to eat, at least make it something healthy. And just a question, but what is causing the emotions around dinnertime? Is this stresser removable? Then you could have a nice peaceful dinner on time.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    If you are bad about emotionally eating, try waiting and calming down, but if you need to eat, at least make it something healthy. And just a question, but what is causing the emotions around dinnertime? Is this stresser removable? Then you could have a nice peaceful dinner on time.

Mostly a Very VERY stong willed 6 year old (some days a very strong willed 4 year old) - - today's battle was over her reading homework. Although she knows how to read the story she was assigned to read, she didn't want to. Said she shouldn't have to read every night.
  • I so know where you're coming from!

It's really important that you've noticed what your traps are - that can be a hard step.

Now what are you going to do about it?

I think using a multi-prong attack can really help you stay on track (it mostly works for me),
    1. Journal everything you eat, that means being honest, planning your meals and reviewing what you've had regularly,
    2. Exercise at least 4 times a week, and
    3. Hang out on MFP.

When the emotions hit, go for a walk, exercise is a great stress buster, and it's certainly more effective than turning to food!

Taking control of your emotions, your body and your lifestyle is one of the most empowering things you can do, enjoy the journey!