Dad Bod

So, after 3 years, 2 kids, and a new desk job, I've gained an additional 10lbs and 4 inches on the waist line. (You'd think I was the one who got pregnant!)

I'm 5'6, 160lbs and quite happy now that I've plateaued. My lifestyle hasn't caused me to gain or lose weight in the last 6-12 months.

The problem? I put on fat, not muscle. I don't want to gain any more weight, but I don't want to lose any either. Any suggestions on how to maintain weight while transforming fat into muscle? I'd estimate I'm at 25% body fat based on height and weight.

Do I need to change my diet goals? Suggestions on exercises that will help make this change would be appreciated also.

I'm still pretty new to all this, so any input is appreciated!

Thanks.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    As far as I know, you want to go to your "goals" and insert your current weight as your current weight and your goal weight. I think MFP will automatically give you a number for maintaining your weight. Then, as you eat only those amount of calories, you want to start weight training. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well...
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    I got those numbers plugged in for weight goals. Will mfp adjust my calories needed if I start training? Or do I need to do that manually? I'm still learning, thanks for the input.
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Hello.. So MFP is a tool that you're going to use to meet your goal (lose weight or gain muscle) and not unless you have great genetics it is hard to do both at the same time. I would suggest that you choose one and hit it hard for a few months, pick a diet that you're comfortable with and stick to it also. Learn what foods agree and disagree with you and get yourself a good exercise routine, doesn't have to be hardcore, just do some research and go from there. You need to have an idea of what you like to look like at the end of your journey and what you going to do to maintain it after you reach your goal. That may be one of the biggest mistake people make on their weight lose or muscle gaining journey. :#
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @mszallar, I sit for a living too so we have something in common except I’m old enough to be your father. First of all congratulations on fatherhood, it’s an honorable profession.

Use the tools here to determine maintenance calories and then start brisk walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Until you find your training program, start doing push-ups, pull-ups if you’re capable and burpees if you’ve got the ganas.

Check back in 60 days to thank me. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    There's a thread here that might be right up your alley:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

We don't actually literally transform fat into muscle (I think you probably know that), but it's possible to gain some muscle (plus a good lot of strength) while very slowly continuing to lose fat, through recomposition, as described in that thread.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Remember the way to fix being under-muscled isn't through diet - it's through exercise and training.
    Making sure you hit your protein goal is helpful though.
    You maintain weight by eating the right number of calories over an extended period of time not by the types of food eaten.

"Will mfp adjust my calories needed if I start training?" - sort of. Your daily calorie goal given is for a non-exercise day, when you exercise you log tat in your exercise diary and get credited with an estimated amunt of calories burned during that exercise. (BTW - strength training slightly perversely needs to be logged under the CV part of your exercise diary, the strength part is just a journal.)
  • I was in a similar position to you (with several times more to lose) and boy oh boy did I hate my Dad Bod.
    What I did was reduce calories while keeping protein up and did beginner whole body exercises with a set of dumbbells to get my overall fitness level up while I was losing weight. Once I reached my target weight (after about 4 months) I switched to a more intensive whole body lifting program which I have been following for about 3 months. My profile picture shows progress to date.
    Currently I eat at or slightly above maintenance calories and work out 3 times a week and use BF% and a tape measure as an indicator of progress rather than the scales now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sedj241 wrote: »
    Hello.. So MFP is a tool that you're going to use to meet your goal (lose weight or gain muscle) and not unless you have great genetics it is hard to do both at the same time. I would suggest that you choose one and hit it hard for a few months, pick a diet that you're comfortable with and stick to it also. Learn what foods agree and disagree with you and get yourself a good exercise routine, doesn't have to be hardcore, just do some research and go from there. You need to have an idea of what you like to look like at the end of your journey and what you going to do to maintain it after you reach your goal. That may be one of the biggest mistake people make on their weight lose or muscle gaining journey. :#

Completely disagree with the bolded - it totally normal for the vast majority of the population to be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it used to be simply called "getting in shape". It's a minority of people who may actually NEED to do cut/bulk cycles - they may be optimal or faster for some with particularly high physique goals but that's doesn't seem appropriate to the OP.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Dude, go to Athleanx.com and on the main screen go down to the very bottom of the screen where it says "choose my program". Answer the questions honestly, pay $90 for the rest of your life (one time fee to get all of the access and programs) and follow the eating and exercise program for beginners. It is helping take all the guess work out of it.
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    @AnnPT77 that thread is what I'm looking for! Thank you!

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

As I pointed out, I'm not trying to cut weight, just replace the fat with muscle.

Not going to buy anything to make this happen. Just looking for suggestions or tips.

I love being 160, I just need it to be a healthy 160! :smile: