Tesco brown longrain rice nutrition

Options
So I'm confused here . I've weighed out 75g of uncooked rice and when cooked it weighs 185g. So on the packet it says that is 451 calories and 95g of carbs . However when I scanned the barcode and put 185g it came up with 659 calories and 136 carbs. Or if I put 75g it comes up with 257 calories 55g carbs? It doesn't add up to the packet info?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The barcode isn't information from the manufacturer. All a barcode does is look up the user-entered MFP database item associated with that barcode, just like if you typed the name into a search bar. Go by what's on your box. You can edit the MFP database entry (if it doesn't have a green checkmark) to match your box if you wish but there's nothing stopping someone else from editing it later to change it to what their box says.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The label is for 75g of raw, uncooked rice. What the rice weighs after it has been cooked doesn't matter as long as you have the raw weight. The raw weight is all you have to pay attention to. If you weighed out 75g of raw rice and cooked it, it's going to be 267 calories and 55g of carbs as stated on the label. No matter what it ends up weighing afterwards, it's 267 calories.

When you put in 185g of cooked rice, it was assuming it was 185g of raw rice. It did the math by dividing 75g into 185g which would give you 2.46 of a serving. 2.46 servings x 257 calories gives you the 659 calories. Since you did not eat 185g of raw rice (you measured out 75g), you did not eat 659 calories.

Edit: I missed the part about the 451 calories on the box itself. Always find an entry that reflects what's on the box. Even if you have to create your own! How many grams does the box say for 451 calories and does it specify if it's for cooked or raw rice?
  • JJF2304
    JJF2304 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. It's the Tesco long grain brown rice and it had a green tick next to it that's why I thought it would be right?
  • JJF2304
    Options
    The label is for 75g of raw, uncooked rice. What the rice weighs after it has been cooked doesn't matter as long as you have the raw weight. The raw weight is all you have to pay attention to. If you weighed out 75g of raw rice and cooked it, it's going to be 267 calories and 55g of carbs as stated on the label. No matter what it ends up weighing afterwards, it's 267 calories.

When you put in 185g of cooked rice, it was assuming it was 185g of raw rice. It did the math by dividing 75g into 185g which would give you 2.46 of a serving. 2.46 servings x 257 calories gives you the 659 calories. Since you did not eat 185g of raw rice (you measured out 75g), you did not eat 659 calories.

Edit: I missed the part about the 451 calories on the box itself. Always find an entry that reflects what's on the box. Even if you have to create your own!

Ok thanks. So yeah it says allow 75g per person . And then says 75g cooked will weigh 185g which is 451 calories and 95 grams of carbs which seems alot for a serving for 1 person. The nutrition table on the packet is after 75g is cooked and weighs 185g? I would attach a photo but it won't let me on my phone .
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    JJF2304 wrote: »

Edit: I missed the part about the 451 calories on the box itself. Always find an entry that reflects what's on the box. Even if you have to create your own!

Ok thanks. So yeah it says allow 75g per person . And then says 75g cooked will weigh 185g which is 451 calories and 95 grams of carbs which seems alot for a serving for 1 person. The nutrition table on the packet is after 75g is cooked and weighs 185g? I would attach a photo but it won't let me on my phone .

Wow, it sounds like the label making it much more confusing than it needs to be! The rice I use is 160 calories for 45g. If I eat 75g of my rice it would be 266 calories, which is on par with the green checked entry of 267 calories for 75g. 451 calories does seem like a weird number from nowhere.

I found this https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254877454 Tesco brown rice and it seems to reflect the 75g raw rice = 267 calories. I would probably go by that.
  • JJF2304
    Options
    Haha I know ! 😂 Yeah that's the same one that you have attached! However on the label on the side of the packet it tells you what 185g of nutrition is and says 451 😂 . It doesn't mention anything about 75g 😭. Thanks anyway. It seems to make slot more sense what you have put I just don't get why they would put that other figure on their packet because it seems so random .