Is 1200 calories/day sustainable?

Options
serinaster
serinaster Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
According to my smart watch, I burn on average 1500 - 1800 calories/day. I currently weigh 161 lbs at 5 ft 3. I'm female and almost 40. My ideal BMI weight is 135 but the last time I was that weight I looked malnourished so I'd settle for 145. I've been struggling with losing 15 lbs for almost 10 years now. I tried intermittent fasting and went down to 151, but thanks to PMS among other things, I end up eating like crazy for a week out of the month.

Should I shoot for 1200 calories or 1500? I do workout like 3 -5 days a week for 20-30 min and burn on average 200 calories. I also like to drink warm water but I think I may have been drinking distilled water instead since sometimes the water on my electric kettle is almost close to boiling so I add some more from my brita pitcher.

I've had folks tell me 1200 calories is basically starvation. Any advice on how to get the weight off and stay off would be appreciated!

Replies

• serinaster
    serinaster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Apullum- MFP gives me 1220, and it does add exercise calories. I track those on my watch which syncs with MFP.

Grace42c- right now 20 min is about all I can squeeze in a day given my crazy work schedule. I work out first thing in the AM. I struggle with getting enough sleep as well which could be another culprit. I'm working on moving my bedtime up one hr so I can be able to up my workouts to 40-60 min.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Not forever. If you are sedentary and small perhaps. That is what MFP gives me to lose 1 lb a week at lightly active but I am usually more active and earn 200 extra calories. They really help.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'd go with what MFP gives you and eat back some of your exercise calories when you exercise.

I'm 49, 5'3, and my maintenance would be around 1550 if I were actually sedentary (I lost my weight at 44-45, and started at 1250, although I had more to lose than you do, and my goal/current weight was 125). I live in a city and so walk a bunch so in reality it's more like 1800 before exercise, and I run so it's more. But if I were mostly sedentary 1200 would be a good goal for weight loss.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I agree with targeting half a pound a week. That will give you 1470 instead of 1220, which seems more manageable given your goals
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    1200 is def sustainable if you exercise and eat all your exercise calories back. I am 59, 5’4” and sedentary, and that’s what MFP gave me to lose .5 a week. You just have to make sure every bite is full of good nutrition, there is no room for treats or junk unless you have a big cardio day.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I would recommend setting your rate of loss to 0.5 lb/week, then, since you aren't too far form the point at which you'd want to do that anyway. Lose a bit more slowly, but eat more and feel happier.

Looking at her stats I think that even with 1/2 pound loss a week, OP won't get too much more than 1200 PLUS exercise calories. The joys of being vertically challenged .... sigh!
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’2 and almost 40 and I have been netting 1200 daily for 12 weeks so far but I exercise more to eat more. I like to eat more and the more I exercise, the more I enjoy it. I also don’t plan to stay at 1200 the whole time I’m losing. Since it’s been working I’ve kept it up this long, but soon I plant to go to about 1450. This same pattern worked for me last time I lost weight (I lost a little more than 30 lbs a couple of years ago—all good until maintenance, which I botched by thinking I could get away with not logging).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    grace42c wrote: »
    Maybe walk at lunch or if you get a break? You could get 20 more minutes that way.

Exercise is optional for weight loss.

It's good for health and fitness, so a great thing to do, but optional for weight loss.

While you are technically correct, I'd be a hangry witch without my exercise calories ;)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    serinaster wrote: »
    I've had folks tell me 1200 calories is basically starvation.

LOL!!

Trust me. It's no where near.

What sort of workout are you doing to burn 200 calories in 20 min?