Healthy eating

Options
Can healthy eating help me lose weight?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Well, it beats unhealthy eating when it comes to health!
    When it comes to weight? It could help if it helps you reduce the total amount of calories you eat.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i gained weight eating "healthy" ;) "healthy eating" is just a way of eating.

to lose weight you need to be eating fewer calories than you burn over a long period of time.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by healthy eating.
    Barring no medical/health issues, weight is lost by eating less calories than your body burns.
    All you need to do to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit.
    How you get there is a personal choice.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with a calorie deficit. What is defined as "healthy" is often in the eye of the beholder and dependent on their personal goals. But you can lose weight eating what most would consider a "healthy" diet, you just need to take in less calories than your burn, the same as you could on an "unhealthy" diet.
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people would agree that healthier foods, especially proteins, keep your appetite in check. Sweets and processed carbs make you want more, in my experience.
    So the right combination is, imho, eat quality food, and not too much of it. I would definitely recommend counting calories at least for a couple months.
    Good luck!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what kinds of foods you're eating-only that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. For overall health it's good to focus on nutrient dense foods-veggies and fruit etc. but all food has calories and it all counts. You can gain weight eating 'healthy' just like you can gain weight eating 'unhealthy'.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you take in fewer calories than your body burns. It doesn’t matter whether those calories come from “healthy” foods are not.

“Healthy” is a vague term that means different things depending on what types of health goals you’re talking about.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Eating 'healthy' doesn't really help you lose weight, or gain weight, specifically. As folks have said, it really depends on how many calories you eat. I know two gals who eat super healthy, and they are both a bit chubby because they tend to eat healthy foods with lots of calories (like whole grain and seed breads with nut butters, for example). One is a vegetarian, one is an omnivore.

However, if you, personally, tend to get a lot of your excess calories from traditional 'junk' food? Then eating healthy may help you a lot.

That's how it has been for me in the past, because I didn't tend to overeat with healthy foods, but I did tend to overeat when offered junk food like cookies or soda or the like. So if I avoided junky foods, I typically avoided a lot of extra calories and lost weight. :-)