Don’t understand!!

Options
Sami1601
Sami1601 Posts: 50 Member
I’ve logged all my food this week. I’ve got the app linked to my Fitbit. I’ve burnt calories every day, some days going to the gym. My total calorie deficit for the whole week is 3,658. As I understand it 3500 is 1lb of fat.
The scales are saying I’m the same weight.
Is my Fitbit overestimating my calories burnt?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Yes, your Fitbit could be overestimating calories. Or you could be logging some things incorrectly, or since it's been only a week, you need to be patient. Some people don't see weight loss until 2-3 weeks.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    Thank you that’s really helpful. How am I meant to track calories burned from my Fitbit to what I’m eating if my Fitbit calories burned is so inaccurate
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One week is not long enough. Also, your profile states you are female and normal female hormone fluctuations are a pig when it comes to the number on the scales. Ovulation and pre-menstrual bloat often cause random water weight gain. (Results vary from woman to woman.)

Not to mention that if your dinner was high in sodium or alcohol 1 or 2 days before weigh in you could be holding some water weight from that.

I know it's not for everyone, but I like weighing daily and using a trend app (I use Happy Scale, but there is a lot of love for Libra on here too). That way I'm not freaked out by a random overnight/overweek gain. It's also taught me that I have a guaranteed pre-menstrual 2lb gain lasting 4-5 days every. bleedin'. month.

Pun intended.

But I do appreciate daily weighing isn't suitable for everyone. If you know that you cannot gain/lose a lb of fat overnight then it is. If you are prone to eating disorders, in recovery from one, or easily freaked out, please ignore my advice.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sami1601 wrote: »
    Thank you that’s really helpful. How am I meant to track calories burned from my Fitbit to what I’m eating if my Fitbit calories burned is so inaccurate

You won't know how inaccurate (if at all) it is until you have followed it for a month or more. I use a Fitbit (have done for about 18 months) and for me it's pretty much spot on. Does yours have a heart rate monitor?
  • Sami1601
    Options
    Yes mine is the Alta HR with the heart monitor. I used to have an Apple Watch, kinda wishing I still had it I’ve read they are more accurate
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,999 Member
    Options
    Yes mine is the Alta HR with the heart monitor. I used to have an Apple Watch, kinda wishing I still had it I’ve read they are more accurate

If you've successfully used a device in the past, then just use those past numbers.

I think if you get your Fitbit synced properly to Myfitnesspal you'll have a good tool but honestly I lost my 70+ pounds with no devices other than a food scale and logging food, so you can do that too.

Here is the Fitbit Group - maybe take a look through that FAQ thread in the top section.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Fitbit can be decently accurate for average user, tweaks can make that better.

A lot of non-average stuff can cause issues.
    And then proper usage can make that better too.

You do something that causes a lot of false steps with some actual good distance to them?
    Some register false steps but the distance and calorie burn is so minor it's no big deal.
    Some drive hours daily on rough roads in auto that causes bigger distance and now it matters.

Like if your stride length setting was wrong and showed an inflated distance, there will be bigger calorie burn.
    Now if you do 5K steps daily - no big whoop, maybe 50-75 calories.
    If you do 20K steps now you have an issue.

If the Fitbit switched to HR-based calorie burn because it thought you were working out when you did 1 set of stairs each day for 3 min - no big whoop.
    If it did that each time you happened to walk near 3.5 mph for some of that say 20K steps - now an inflated calorie burn.

If you did a few pushups and situps daily for 5 min during an otherwise active day, and it switched to HR-based - no big whoop.
    If you do 1.5 hrs of lifting 6 days a week really and it's doing that when very sedentary otherwise - now inflated and impactful.

So what is your 2000-2500 calorie burn composed of - increased daily activity, workouts what type, how many steps, how much distance, ect?

Fitbit also takes a couple weeks to decide where that line is from moving from step-based calorie burn for daily activity, to HR-based calorie burn for workouts. And it still may estimate that line wrong if you have medicine or genes causing confusion.
    During that time it's also getting some better resting HR info to be used for when HR-based calorie burn is calculated, but again if out of average for a reason - bad estimate.
    If workouts are walking - shouldn't matter, if many hours weekly of aerobics classes - then it could matter.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It's also possible you are just retaining water from new or increased exercise. Give it a few more weeks.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    Also it really confuses me because it says if I eat enough calories to maintain my week my TDEE then I will maintain my weight. But if I subtract a calorie deficit from my TDEE I would be eating about 1,300 calories a day which is lower than my BMR???
  • heybales
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Also it really confuses me because it says if I eat enough calories to maintain my week my TDEE then I will maintain my weight. But if I subtract a calorie deficit from my TDEE I would be eating about 1,300 calories a day which is lower than my BMR???

You have to be confusing things because MFP presents nothing regarding a TDEE figure - because it doesn't use that.

Now, if you don't happen to exercise and you have your Activity Level set honestly than it could be said that MFP is estimating your TDEE.
    But it still doesn't use that term.

And yes to your concern - shorter not very active people can have such a small gap between their BMR and their TDEE that even if they have a reasonable deficit it can cause an eating goal below their BMR.

It's also why some sites go for a % off your TDEE - takes into account that aspect of less burned means less to deficit means not so low on eating goal.

And are you subtracting a reasonable deficit or just any deficit?
    Because you've mentioned Fitbit estimated TDEE upwards of 2300, and for amount to lose, 500 appears to be most reasonable (which is also around 20%) - so you would NOT be down at 1300 on those days.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    Thanks for your comment. But the Fibit only gives an account of the calories burned for the day at midnight so sometimes I don't know how many calories to eat during the day because I am unsure until later in the day what calories I have burned. Some days I can't get to the gym due to work etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment. But the Fibit only gives an account of the calories burned for the day at midnight so sometimes I don't know how many calories to eat during the day because I am unsure until later in the day what calories I have burned. Some days I can't get to the gym due to work etc.

Some people track their calorie deficit by week. Over one day, under the next makes no difference for weight loss.

As explained above, you are looking for a general trend downward over time.
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, you don't sync to phone constantly?
    I never did either.

Because through the day never needed to change much.
    Before dinner, after the workouts - that's when it mattered.

Because Fitbit most certainly keeps track of the calories burned while the day goes on, doesn't wait until midnight at all.

What device are you on - can you glance at it and see the daily calorie burn at that point?

Subtract 500 - there's your goal up to that point if you want to be that exact during the day. Which isn't actually that useful for most people.

Normally you need better planning anyway, but even if you don't - you'll learn what an appropriate amount is up until dinner, then let that and evening snacks finish out the day correctly.
  • Sami1601
    Options
    No I sync constantly

Hi

I'm new to all this. I'm a 5"4 female who weighs 110 pounds. I work as a desk job. I've just joined the gym.
    I have my Fitbit linked with MFP, and to lose 1lb a week it's stating I need to eat 1,210 calories. Now my concern is my gym instructor did my BMR which is 1367. I did an online calculator which states my TDEE was around 1,600 so if I was to drop 500 calories below my TDEE it would be 1,000 calories which is even below my BMR.
    The gym instructor today said I shouldn't be eating that low. Now I won't always be able to get to the gym due to work etc so on some days I'm going to burn less than others.
    Im slightly confused as to how many calories I should be eating to lose weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    No I sync constantly

Hi

I'm new to all this. I'm a 5"4 female who weighs 110 pounds. I work as a desk job. I've just joined the gym.
    I have my Fitbit linked with MFP, and to lose 1lb a week it's stating I need to eat 1,210 calories. Now my concern is my gym instructor did my BMR which is 1367. I did an online calculator which states my TDEE was around 1,600 so if I was to drop 500 calories below my TDEE it would be 1,000 calories which is even below my BMR.
    The gym instructor today said I shouldn't be eating that low. Now I won't always be able to get to the gym due to work etc so on some days I'm going to burn less than others.
    Im slightly confused as to how many calories I should be eating to lose weight.

You are already at the bottom of the healthy weight range for your height, so yes you would probably have to undereat to become underweight. Why are you trying to lose weight, is there a specific change you are trying to see?

If you are unhappy with your physique, you will most likely get better results trying to build muscle than trying to lose weight.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • heybales
    Options
    Forget the TDEE rough estimate - as you've been told here and other thread - your Fitbit is giving you TDEE estimate already based on what it actually sees you doing - not a guess of 4-5 rough levels.

And that type of activity - likely a good estimate from the Fitbit.

Also - you don't have over 15 lbs to lose for 1 lb weekly to be reasonable - set MFP for 1/2 lb weekly.
    With no resistance workouts yet (and even if you were) - you are only risking losing some of your muscle mass you have already. You'll regret that later. And sooner actually.

If syncing constantly device to phone - if MFP isn't getting your info you have a sync issue.
    Or until near the end of day you haven't burned more than MFP was figuring already so you have no positive adjustment.

You could set MFP option for using Negative Adjustment.

Workouts aren't going to add that incredible an amount to your daily goal to make it difficult to make adjustments in the evening.

So once you accept your Fitbit has better TDEE figure, and you should only be on 250 deficit - you won't be anywhere near BMR anyway.

Besides, that TDEE calc they are using is obviously the ancient one from the 1910 study that has been improved on many times since then.

And not sure why they'd be giving you a sedentary estimate when you are at the gym obviously intending to workout.
    What goofballs.