Dietary Supplements

Options
First, let me be crystal clear that I believe, without reservation, that the key to losing fat is eating less calories and exercising more (or better.) In fact, that's why I'm here on this site: I find it to be the best place for counting calories! So -- please don't take my questions below as looking for an "easy fix" or a "magic pill". My feeling has always been that, if a magic pill did exist, it'd be on every major news show for weeks and we'd all know about it!

Now, that being said, I am curious if there are any supplements that genuinely and realistically *assist* with losing body fat. The market for these kinds of supplements is insane right now, and trying to find a real/honest review of anything is near impossible (e.g., try searching for "real review alka tone keto" ..pages and pages of fake reviews.) Even in the supermarket, there is a whole row of dietary supplements and weight loss assistance ....with no way of knowing what's worthwhile and what's a scam.

So, I'm writing to see if anyone has any legitimate suggestions (including supplements or medication that requires a prescription.) Or, if you've done the research and discovered that there is nothing currently available worth trying, I'd be interested in that as well (but, please don't write just because you're philosophically against supplements...but haven't done any research.) Additionally, if you know of any legitimate websites with reviews/comparisons -- please share.

Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific answer, but considering the mechanics of weight loss, I would think the only probable way a supplement could aid weight loss is appetite suppression or increased energy to keep you active.

Fat burners have no real data to back them up and no legit scientific reason why they should work, and most "metabolism boosters" are really caffeine or herbals with similar effects that make you feel more energetic so you think it means your metabolism is revved up. But that's not a thing either.

If you are actually deficient in a nutrient (as established by blood work), supplementing to correct the deficiency can help, though I'll be honest and say I'm not really sure why.

Hopefully you get more knowledgeable responses, though the short answer is no, no there's not. As you alluded to, if there was, some legit company would've done the appropriate testing and gotten it approved by the FDA so they could make a zillion dollars off of it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can use examine.com to look into any supplement you interested in, and they will tell you what it can and cannot do.
  • lucianmarian8294
    lucianmarian8294 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You can try Yohimbine. It's powerful have a look on internet or you can try any best reviewed fat burners. They might help but caloric deficit is the key.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Most supplements are the market that claim to assist with fat loss are generally appetite suppressants, and a lot of them use caffeine as the "active" ingredient, among other natural appetite suppressants. Others block absorption of fat (alli is one of them) but they generally prevent absorption of dietary fat, not all calories, so really, they just cause gross side-effects in many people.

On the prescription side, it's kind of the same, where most of the "fat loss" pills, with phetermine being trendy right now, are appetite suppressants. Phetermine is of the amphetamine class, and amphetamines are known for their appetite suppressant qualities, although in the case of phetermine, it's controlled and monitored. People have been using Adderall illegally (i.e. not prescribed) for weight loss for this reason (Adderall is a mixture of several different types of amphetamines) as the side-effect is loss of appetite. For phetermine, it's approved by the FDA to be an appetite suppresant, so not really a side-effect anymore.

That's my take on most of the supplements that could be useful. I'm mostly of the opinion that if it's effective, it's not legal, lol.