How to have energy on 1200 calories?

Options
So I usually have 1500 cals per day and maintain 129 pounds (5ft5.5). But I was recently on a medication that messes up metabolism/the way your body processes food and stores fat ect. So despite being on the same diet and exercise regime, I gained around 9 pounds within a few weeks.

I was on this same type of medication 3 years ago, and that time gained 14 pounds within a couple of months. After coming off the meds the weight wouldn't shift (like now), until I finally had had enough and went for a 1200 cal diet. I then lost about 16 pounds in less than two months on that diet.

Since I find myself in the same position again, I'm now back to the 1200 cal diet. I've been on it for nearly a week and have seen some movement, so want to keep at it.

The only issue is I'm really struggling energy wise. I feel like I can barely carry myself for long when I walk, I'm having slight dizzy spells, and I can't think as clearly or do work as well. I don't even feel hungry, just weak and rubbish. I'm also anxious, as I can't help but feel what I'm doing can't be healthy if I'm feeling this way. Btw I do eat back my exercise calories.

So I would like to know if anyone else feels this way on 1200 calories. And if anyone has any tips to keep energy levels up etc. Thanks.

Replies

• Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What do your doctors say?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Amani800 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you lost 16 lbs in two months on 1200 calories, you maintain at 2200.

You are lean, so increasing calories is likely the better option

This. Something is not adding up. You can't both maintain on 1500 calories a day and also lose 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories a day. One of those two things has to be incorrect.

If you paid attention you'd see that this is because of the medication I've been on messing with my system.

It still doesn't track. Medication can affect your metabolism, but it can't alter the laws of physics. You can't both maintain on 1500 and lose 2 pounds a week on 1200. If you lose 2 pounds on 1200 you should also lose about 1.5 pounds on 1500. If the medication affects your metabolism, it would be affecting it for both values in the same way.

It's quite possible that your medication caused you to put on some excess water weight and it just eventually left on its own when you were off the medication for a set amount of time. In that case, it should do the same if you stay at 1500 and just be patient. I would not eat at 1200 if your doctor is recommending against it and it is harming your energy.

It's a bit confusing, but I think the 2 lbs a week was from 3 years ago, prior to medication.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just taking your original question about having energy on 1200 calories, my experience is that I do better when those 1200 calories consist of at least 100 g of protein, at least 40 g of fat, and the rest carbohydrates consisting of whole fruits, vegetables of all types, and whole grains.
  • Amani800
    Amani800 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    What medication caused this?

The medication is fluoxetine.

This person explains the complexity of weight gain/loss on SSRIs better than I can:

https://www.quora.com/Do-antidepressants-lead-to-weight-gain/answer/Mark-Dunn-64
    https://www.quora.com/Will-tapering-off-SSRIs-cause-weight-loss/answer/Mark-Dunn-64

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Amani800 wrote: »
    aes1219 wrote: »
    What medication caused this?

The medication is fluoxetine.

This person explains the complexity of weight gain/loss on SSRIs better than I can:

https://www.quora.com/Do-antidepressants-lead-to-weight-gain/answer/Mark-Dunn-64
    https://www.quora.com/Will-tapering-off-SSRIs-cause-weight-loss/answer/Mark-Dunn-64

I'm almost positive that there have been numerous threads on MFP in which people have said they've been able to lose weight while on fluoxetine (among others SSRIs). This also this study (click the link in the upper right hand corner for the full text).