Squatting

How often should i squat a week to see results in my legs and butt area ? Some say do 100 squats everyday , while some say do squats 3 times a week ? Idk which is more beneficial. Every time i ask this question people always refer me to follow a program but i am simply asking how many times a week should i do squats to see results ? Like how many days a week would you guys suggest for leg days ( leg workouts for thighs and butt)

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Are you squatting using weights where you progressively increase the weight?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What kind of results?

There really is no straight or simple answer to your question. You would require enough stimulation and overload to preserve muscle of you are eating in a deficit. How much depends on many factors. I only squat once or twice a week. I am very quad dominant so for me they aren't a great exercise for me and my goals. Rather I incorporate other exercises such as hip thrusts and deadlifts as well as other accessories. I work legs 3-4x per week, but I followed a program at first so I didn't overtrain, undertrain, had the right muscle balance and recovered adequately. If you are doing random things it is more likely you will get random results.
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What kind of results?

There really is no straight or simple answer to your question. You would require enough stimulation and overload to preserve muscle of you are eating in a deficit. How much depends on many factors. I only squat once or twice a week. I am very quad dominant so for me they aren't a great exercise for me and my goals. Rather I incorporate other exercises such as hip thrusts and deadlifts as well as other accessories. I work legs 3-4x per week, but I followed a program at first so I didn't overtrain, undertrain, had the right muscle balance and recovered adequately. If you are doing random things it is more likely you will get random results.
    So by results i am not expecting like a bigger butt , if that happens you know great but i mean toned thighs and a nice toned butt. I believe that can be achieved by workouts you know.

• Ashlove5
    I use 4 pounds now and will increase to 6 - 10 soon. And i also increase the number of squats. Right now i do 75 squats.

• Ashlove5
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    The thing is - the reason why people suggest you follow a program - that you can do a bazillion bodyweight squats per day every day if you like, but it will come to a point where you will need more than that to get results.

There is no magic number or magic number of times per week.

Personally? I don't care much for my booty so I squat on my leg days, which is once a week, and I do weighted back squats along with a bunch of other leg/butt exercises. I have now come to see how weak my butt is, so I have added an extra little bit of butt activation exercises to my weekly workouts in order to try to address this problem - i'm getting to the stage where my weighted squats aren't improving because of my butt deficiencies (because I don't like working my butt out). If I get an extra gym day, I now do a second leg/butt day too, instead of a back or shoulders day, which would have been my go-to usually.

Some girls on here do butt day every day.

There are a billion different squat varieties - plain squats, goblet squats, banded squats, front squats, back squats, hack squats, sissy squats, etc etc etc.

Looks like you are keen on building the butt and legs, so, the best answer UNFORTUNATELY, is - follow a program such as Get Glutes or Strong Curves or I don't know - Brazilian Butt Lift - whatever - whatever the program is - follow it and you will see results I'd say within a month or so (in terms of exercises getting easier, if using weights being able to make weights heavier, etc. In terms of visual difference, that will depend on if you have fat to lose or not).

Good luck!

Oh - and I think you can probably get FREE butt exercises on the interwebs if you don't want to pay for a program. Pretty sure there would be a bunch out there for free from those Instagram/YouTube butt girls.
    As of right now i don’t have time to lift weights in the gym i can only do cardio. So i work on my legs at home i do leg raises , fire hydrants , squats ect ect. So if any program for butt and thighs that could be done at home would
    Be great !

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    I use 4 pounds now and will increase to 6 - 10 soon. And i also increase the number of squats. Right now i do 75 squats.

That's really not enough weight to make a difference. Why can't you incorporate some weight training on your gym days? Maybe you can do a bit less cardio and use the weights too.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    It didn't matter how many squats I did, or how many days a week I did them, I never saw results in my butt (I wanted a larger one...genetics gave me a pancake *kitten*!) Granted, I did body weight squats, but I have zero interest in weights.

What DID very quickly give me a better butt was 1) running sprints two days a week. 2) Later I started hiking a couple of days a week...that also helped develop my butt. They gave me pretty fast results when all the squats I could do did nothing for me.

Seems you had the same issue as OP.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    It didn't matter how many squats I did, or how many days a week I did them, I never saw results in my butt (I wanted a larger one...genetics gave me a pancake *kitten*!) Granted, I did body weight squats, but I have zero interest in weights.

What DID very quickly give me a better butt was 1) running sprints two days a week. 2) Later I started hiking a couple of days a week...that also helped develop my butt. They gave me pretty fast results when all the squats I could do did nothing for me.

The issue here doesn't seem to be the squats themselves but the lack of progressive overload. If you are just doing bodyweight squats over and over you aren't challenging the muscles enough for growth. On the other hand your sprints and hiking seemed to offer a level of progression and added resistance. I'm not saying you need to do squats or heavy lifting but saying squats did nothing when they weren't performed properly for muscle growth can be a bit misleading.

She could change the tempo up. 3 seconds down and oh...say 4 or 5 up? That'll do it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

The issue here doesn't seem to be the squats themselves but the lack of progressive overload. If you are just doing bodyweight squats over and over you aren't challenging the muscles enough for growth. On the other hand your sprints and hiking seemed to offer a level of progression and added resistance. I'm not saying you need to do squats or heavy lifting but saying squats did nothing when they weren't performed properly for muscle growth can be a bit misleading.

She could change the tempo up. 3 seconds down and oh...say 4 or 5 up? That'll do it.

For muscle maintenance maybe but growth is very difficult. You really have to give reason for that muscle to grow.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    The thing is - the reason why people suggest you follow a program - that you can do a bazillion bodyweight squats per day every day if you like, but it will come to a point where you will need more than that to get results.

There is no magic number or magic number of times per week.

Personally? I don't care much for my booty so I squat on my leg days, which is once a week, and I do weighted back squats along with a bunch of other leg/butt exercises. I have now come to see how weak my butt is, so I have added an extra little bit of butt activation exercises to my weekly workouts in order to try to address this problem - i'm getting to the stage where my weighted squats aren't improving because of my butt deficiencies (because I don't like working my butt out). If I get an extra gym day, I now do a second leg/butt day too, instead of a back or shoulders day, which would have been my go-to usually.

Some girls on here do butt day every day.

There are a billion different squat varieties - plain squats, goblet squats, banded squats, front squats, back squats, hack squats, sissy squats, etc etc etc.

Looks like you are keen on building the butt and legs, so, the best answer UNFORTUNATELY, is - follow a program such as Get Glutes or Strong Curves or I don't know - Brazilian Butt Lift - whatever - whatever the program is - follow it and you will see results I'd say within a month or so (in terms of exercises getting easier, if using weights being able to make weights heavier, etc. In terms of visual difference, that will depend on if you have fat to lose or not).

Good luck!

Oh - and I think you can probably get FREE butt exercises on the interwebs if you don't want to pay for a program. Pretty sure there would be a bunch out there for free from those Instagram/YouTube butt girls.
    As of right now i don’t have time to lift weights in the gym i can only do cardio. So i work on my legs at home i do leg raises , fire hydrants , squats ect ect. So if any program for butt and thighs that could be done at home would
    Be great !

Back to you OP, since you're not necessarily interested in growing your muscles, body weight would be fine for you.

Strong Curves has a body weight at home program in the book you could use.

If you have some money, you could invest in a set of adjustable dumbbells and do the beginner program at home as well.

In terms on your goal for looking what you call toned, that's a function of becoming leaner by losing body fat to reveal the underlying muscle structure. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to do that.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

For muscle maintenance maybe but growth is very difficult. You really have to give reason for that muscle to grow.

I agree sardelsa, OP seems pretty set on no weights though. Kind of limits the options.