What did you buy that helped you lose weight?

Options
hjohnso5
hjohnso5 Posts: 8 Member
I’m currently restarting my weight loss journey after losing ~60 pounds three years ago, but have unfortunately gained it all back. My question for those who have had success - are there any tools that you purchased which made your journey easier?

I am trying to prioritize my health, and if that means spending more money to be healthy, I’m ready to do it!

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been puzzling about this question all morning.... So what did I originally buy to gain all that weight? Maybe lots of food? and drinks? And.....?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me has just been counting calories accurately. But if I did have to pick a purchase, I would say getting a jogging stroller. It means I don't have an excuse not to run. Plus my son will use it to get me to take him to the park. Those extra couple calories burned (usually 200-300) really helped me.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Count me in for another vote for a food scale! Also I really love Beachbody workouts so Beachbody on Demand has been a great subscription for me. But as far as exercise goes just find something you enjoy doing!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Food scale (already owned a human scale) and a couple of easy cooking books with calories accounted for (Hairy Dieters, UK).

Good luck!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    A kitchen scale that measures in grams/pounds/ounces; a human scale; a decent pair of walking shoes--that's about it for me as far as things I thought I needed to buy. I already had an umbrella (useful for walking outdoors in the freezing rain, lol.)

One thing I wish I had thought of, and what I recommend, is getting a kitchen scale that can weigh up to 10 or 11 pounds at least, in case you want to weigh an entire pot of something.

I have also found it helpful to track my ten-day trending weight but I did not buy an app for that. Instead, I borrowed a google sheets template from someone else. There is a link to a free template in the middle of this article: https://medium.com/technology-liberal-arts/the-data-diet-how-i-lost-60-pounds-using-a-google-docs-spreadsheet-80adce62cf5c. I am posting this link here because I find the spreadsheet useful. I am *not* advocating the writer's method for weight loss. It works for him and may not work for others. Personally I am an omnivore calorie counter. To each his or her own. :-)

Also, a free app I find helpful is Google Fit, simply for tracking steps.

Though the template in the article above, as well as the app, are Google-based products, I am sure there are non-Google free alternatives out there somewhere.

I started losing weight on Oct 1, 2018, and so far I am down 34 pounds from an ultimate high of 202.