My Day Fasting Success!

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Here is a study-autophagy-that might be of interest. From what I can tell all testing done on mice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/

Honestly...beyond my understanding!
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks also for your comments about how fasting provides no other benefits besides contributing to a calorie deficit but I prefer to get my information about this from more qualified sources.

Would love to see some evidence of these other benefits. You know, from a qualified source, as you say. My version of a qualified source would be something peer-reviewed, in humans, with a large N, and controlled. Let's see what ya got.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you can eat 1500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables in one go?!? That is a massive amount!

Agreed. I used to be able to do 1500 calories worth of pizza in a go (and I'd feel gross afterwards) but certainly not 1500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables. I have a hard time finishing 400 calories worth of Thai beef salad.

(I am not disputing the validity of OMAD for some; just sharing that I find the mechanics of it baffling.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Just wondering how you can eat 1500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables in one go?!? That is a massive amount!

Agreed. I used to be able to do 1500 calories worth of pizza in a go (and I'd feel gross afterwards) but certainly not 1500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables. I have a hard time finishing 400 calories worth of Thai beef salad.

(I am not disputing the validity of OMAD for some; just sharing that I find the mechanics of it baffling.)

I'm largely the same way. Meals that large are just not pleasurable for me. It's also why I rarely have some crazy crazy day on Thanksgiving -- I may eat more than usual, but not to the point of feeling super stuffed, and since our Thanksgiving meals are based in large part on turkey (quite lean), vegetables (some with more fat added than others, but I usually have lots of lower cal options available) and potatoes (which I find quite filling even mashed and with some butter), I tend to fill up before the calories rack up too high.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your sharing @GottaBurnEmAll, very insightful and personal. Sharing like this is what makes time here invaluable. Wishing you my best.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I do not intentionally do IF but some might say that is what I do. I usually don't eat before 11am and I usually don't eat after about 7pm. I just find that works for me on many different levels. I eat brunch and dinner and some type of mid afternoon snack. I have found that this method for me has stopped the all afternoon eating, my appetite is down and has eliminated my binging tendencies. It encourages me to focus on the foods that I need for my health(lean meat, vegetables, fruit) without me over thinking things. These things are the "pros" of how I eat.

The "cons"...sometimes my calorie counts are low with no desire to eat more because I am satiated by the foods I have eaten.

One other "pro" is that it has allowed me to get acquainted with my hunger pains, feeling full and let me learn that my desire to sometimes binge has nothing to do with being hungry.

I don't object to IF but I don't use the term even though my WOE might fall in to that category. Nor do I use the term "clean eating/whole foods/anything else even though about 90% of the foods that I eat might fall into one of those categories. I also don't like rules about eating especially if they were made by someone else.

I used the term "usually" to describe how I eat. That is because if for some reason I am hungry(truly hungry) at 8am or 11pm I will eat.

Here, here @Annie_01 . My experience exactly.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I do not intentionally do IF but some might say that is what I do. I usually don't eat before 11am and I usually don't eat after about 7pm. I just find that works for me on many different levels. I eat brunch and dinner and some type of mid afternoon snack. I have found that this method for me has stopped the all afternoon eating, my appetite is down and has eliminated my binging tendencies. It encourages me to focus on the foods that I need for my health(lean meat, vegetables, fruit) without me over thinking things. These things are the "pros" of how I eat.

I have this same basic experience eating (usually) at 6, 12, and as late as 9 or after. Not snacking is the key for me, and I don't desire to eat in-between meals when I eat three regular meals.

I find it easy to eat no breakfast and a light lunch and then a heavier but earlier dinner (this is what I do on weekends or Fridays often if I am planning to go out to dinner), but I don't find that an easier schedule.

When I was younger I was less of a morning person and didn't really like any breakfast food I was willing to make in the morning, so tended to skip breakfast and often eat a late lunch and then dinner. I was a healthy weight and overweight at different times following these same patterns (what made the difference is what I chose to eat for the breakfast and lunch).

Not saying IF schedules don't work better for others -- I am big on different patterns work for different people -- but I wanted to note that I had experienced similar results from the not eating between meals element (or the 3 meals element) with a very different schedule that happens to work much better with my work and workout schedule.

I do find it mildly odd that some call such a common schedule as a later breakfast (or skipped breakfast) "fasting" and (especially) claim that it (or some other favored eating pattern) is inherently better and appreciate that you do not.