BLACK BEANS NUTRITION

Options
hey guys

my can of organic salt free black beans says 57 calories per 100g drained weight

cronometer for canned black beans says 140 calories per 100g

trader joes brand says 88

any idea which to follow? 57 is a big difference to 140 !!!

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,284 Member
    Options
    Your listed sources (based only on what you've typed here) don't necessarily seem to be comparing the same thing, i.e., drained, or if not drained, necessarily the same ratio of beans to liquid.

I usually use the USDA-sourced MFP database entry for "Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt" unless I have the energy to weigh them dry and keep track of the results all through the cooking-freezing-thawing-eating process (which I usually don't). That database entry says 132 calories for 100g.

Since I know that how they're cooked will vary the amount of water retained, I could worry about that . . . but I don't. I eat a decent serving (150g or so) of black beans probably at least a couple of days in a typical week, and have lost/maintained weight just as expected (once I dialed in my calorie needs) so I don't stress about it.

That's not a very satisfying answer, I suspect, but it's the only one I have. Sorry!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I think the can is lying. Even cooked from dry with nothing added, 100g is 130.

Double check the serving size on the can to make sure it’s not 1/2 cup.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your listed sources (based only on what you've typed here) don't necessarily seem to be comparing the same thing, i.e., drained, or if not drained, necessarily the same ratio of beans to liquid.

I usually use the USDA-sourced MFP database entry for "Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt" unless I have the energy to weigh them dry and keep track of the results all through the cooking-freezing-thawing-eating process (which I usually don't). That database entry says 132 calories for 100g.

Since I know that how they're cooked will vary the amount of water retained, I could worry about that . . . but I don't. I eat a decent serving (150g or so) of black beans probably at least a couple of days in a typical week, and have lost/maintained weight just as expected (once I dialed in my calorie needs) so I don't stress about it.

That's not a very satisfying answer, I suspect, but it's the only one I have. Sorry!

yes i know i only checked for canned, drained and always only USDA sourced. i double check with cronometer sometimes if im in doubt cuz cronometers very reliable for USDA sourced stuff.

anyway i bought the same can - same brand- except the cover changed a bit, like a bit of an upgrade and the calories are double than what the old can said !

anyway i checked other canned drained brands and they were all around 120-140 so i went with that