Food tracking app for kids

Options
My daughter is 10 and little frustrated with the weight that she's gained this winter. I know most of it is on me (not being as focused on what she's been eating) and now that she's starting soccer again, I'm hoping that some of the winter weight will come off easily. I'm going to sit down and go through some of the science behind CICO with her. She likes math and science a lot and I think it might be helpful for her to track her food intake and exercise for a little while to see how it all works and hopefully she can get a better understanding of how her food intake can impact her weight. Are there any apps out there that you all recommend for kids? I know I've seen some mentioned on the boards but I can't remember when or where. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Does her pediatrician think she needs to lose weight?

We haven't gone for check up recently, but I know that she's gained about 10 pounds since last summer. I'm not looking for her to be on a diet, I really just want her to understand how people gain and lose weight and give her the knowledge as she grows, so she doesn't wind up spending her adulthood trying to lose it. I'm not super concerned, but hoping to head this off at the pass and give her some tools.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, my first 10lbs came off with just adopting the habit of "eat a damn vegetable" and being a bit more active. That's a great, simple lesson that is health rather than weight oriented. Every meal a veg or fruit in a decent proportion might be a harmless way to swing things.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    +1 for letting your pediatrician in on this discussion, and +1 for being mindful about insuring as much as possible that your daughter is not neurotic about weight - I say "as much as possible," because as much progress has been made in the last decade about body-positive self awareness, not enough has been.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. For the record, I have not expressed any concerns to her, she noticed this morning at urgent care (ear infection) that her weight was a lot higher than she thought it was, and I am trying to find the right mechanism to give her the knowledge and help her feel healthier and more confident. I am not looking to put her on a diet or start her on calorie counting, rather have her understand what she's putting into her body and how it work (food as fuel, less junk). I love the book suggestion and we'll check out choosemyplate.org together tonight. Thanks again!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    It concerns me that at age 10, she’s thinking about her weight and whether or not it seems high. That’s the most worrisome thing to me in this entire thread. It’s one thing to talk with your child about how the human body works; it’s another thing entirely to encourage tracking calories at such a young age unless her pediatrician has recommended that. Talk to her pediatrician. If her pediatrician is concerned, then ask them to have a conversation with your child about nutrition.

It stood out at me too. It occurs to me that anything other than reassurance and just working on good habits which should probably be done mostly by setting a good example could be throwing gas on that fire. But, again, I am not her parent and these threads can get a little too judge-y sometimes. Parents make lots of mistakes and whether this is one or not is really unknowable from a few posts.

Edited to change "is" to "could be"