Food tracking app for kids

Options
2»

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    My daughter is 10 and little frustrated with the weight that she's gained this winter. I know most of it is on me (not being as focused on what she's been eating) and now that she's starting soccer again, I'm hoping that some of the winter weight will come off easily. I'm going to sit down and go through some of the science behind CICO with her. She likes math and science a lot and I think it might be helpful for her to track her food intake and exercise for a little while to see how it all works and hopefully she can get a better understanding of how her food intake can impact her weight. Are there any apps out there that you all recommend for kids? I know I've seen some mentioned on the boards but I can't remember when or where. Thanks in advance!!!

The bolded is where it lies. With the parent. It starts with you. Honestly, the best thing you can do is to model the good behavior. Encourage her to cook healthy meals with you, play together as a family, and do fun activities together.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    I've read some pretty judgmental things on these boards so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the responses I received and the fact that people jump on one thing without reading more.

I was an overweight kid and became an overweight adult without anyone telling me that I should be eating healthier or exercising more. I want to make sure that I do right by my daughter and was hoping that there were people out there who would respond with some guidance rather than judgment.

I love my daughter more than life itself and the only thing I have ever told her is that she is strong, smart and that I love her. My post was simply looking for some advice so as to avoid making a mistake. As I said I don't want her to count calories, and that is not my goal. I am pretty loose with CICO myself and there are no off-limits foods in my house and I try to teach all of my kids moderation, so my "junk" comment probably should have been more mindless eating, sorry.

Is it worrisome that she's 10 and is concerned about her weight? Of course, but she's her own person with her own opinions and no matter how much I tell her she's growing and I'm not concerned and she shouldn't be either, that's not going to change what she sees when she looks at her friends and what's on TV. She's my oldest and I'm in unchartered waters here and could have used a little less judgment.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of judgmental things in this thread. Everyone here (I hope) realizes that you love your daughter and that you have no intention on purposefully putting her at risk of anything. That said, I suspect a large chunk of people who have developed eating disorders that have been influenced, in part, by what their parents have communicated to them have had parents who think similarly to you. Parents who are just trying to help their child.

Honestly, I would seek the advice of her pediatrician as well as potentially her soccer coach. Recognizing, of course, that her coach might not be the best source of information. If her coach is anything like the rock climbing coach I had as a kid then they will potentially be able to provide appropriate guidance, but there are plenty of people who aren't able to do so.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have a 10 year old son who's very aware of his weight/not happy with it, but he's underweight due to his ADHD/meds, and he's very self-conscious about how he looks vs his friends (he won't take off his shirt to go swimming etc). We work closely with his pediatrician and it's been really helpful for both of us-I'd definitely start there, (and maybe discuss your concerns with the doctor while your child is in the waiting room). For us-we go in for weight checks every couple of months and it's been a good experience to do these, my son is a numbers kids and he likes to see where his weight is on the chart, and he'll talk to the pediatrician and tells him what he's eating, how he's feeling etc.

eta: my son knows what calories are, what foods are higher/lower calorie options etc. This all came from the pediatrician though. We don't do any kind of tracking at home, though I do ask him what he's eaten from time to time, (he tends to forget because he gets so distracted). Some times I have him eat something to get his calories up, but the pediatrician doesn't want us to do anything beyond that right now.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I have an 8-year old daughter & I can't imagine trying to get her to track her calories. Girls don't need more pressure or influence in regards to issues with self-esteem, weight loss, body image, etc. I'd take her to the pediatrician and then have a 1-on-1 with the doc to see if he/she is concerned about her weight gain. If so, I still wouldn't tackle it by having her track her foods. I'd probably go about it like, OK so for this meal we're going to have one serving of protein, a serving a vegetables, etc...and would make a point of making meals I KNOW are healthy/nutritious in a kid-friendly format (baked chicken fingers with the "oven fry" crispy stuff on the outside of the baked chicken), homemade pizza nights, etc. You've got to model the behaviors you want to see in her though, so make sure it starts with you (and any other adult(s) in the household). When the weather is decent can you go on nature walks or bike rides etc together, maybe hit up a trampoline park when it's rainy or cold, etc etc...
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    another thought -

instead of actually trying to TRACK foods/calories/etc, how about a simple chart on the fridge? The same idea as a chore chart or whatever, eg a star/point/whatever for each day X food goals (and by that I mean, for example - 3 servings of fruit, 3 servings of vegetables, etc), and then once a certain number of points/stars is met, some sort of treat together? And by treat I don't necessarily mean food, but getting to pick a friend to go get mani/pedi's or going to a movie or tickets to a theme park she's been dying to go to, etc? But it could also involve food as long as food isn't the focus, like a slumber party (with PIZZA!) with her friends, or stopping for ice cream or milkshakes or something on the way to a museum?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    this is such a touchy subject for girls that age. I work in a k-8 school, and it becomes an obsession early on. I was also friends with the anorexic girls and bulimic girls growing up, ans my mom used to obsess with weight loss, but also never taught healthy eating habits, So i grew up constantly thinking I needed to lose weight, and looking back at me at that age, I was not big at all. my mom taught me how to diet, but at the same time, shes the cause of my binging on potato chips. every time my kids mention that I want to lose weight, I correct them that I I exercise and watch what I eat to be healthy. I want to keep my body healthy so when Im older I can still move around easy, and keep my heart and insides healthy so I can live to see my grandkids ect. Also because of what I learned mainly through my mom (who had good intentions) is why I teach my kids healthy eating habits, I still have almost no controle over my snacking urges, so my kids get 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day, but only 1 that isnt exactly healthy. they can snack on fruit, veggies, cheese, ect, but limit chips and cookie type foods. They also only get water between meals. I would not teach her about counting calories at this age.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My daughter is the top end of the normal scale
    She's aware of her weight as she has multiple disabilities and health conditions

On a holiday to grandparents she gained a stone in a week (appointments before and after) which upset her due to the nurse announcing it with a tone to her voice
    ( I'm aware a fair amount of gain was water retention from traveling and more food in gut, she wasn't as I've never discussed it with her)

We had a conversation about always foods (fruits, veggies, the carbs and vegetarian proteins we have at meals) and sometimes foods (cakes, biscuits, sweets, crisps, ice creams..... All the stuff the grandparents gave her telling her at thier house she would have as much as she wants)

She also does litter picking after school so she's walking more than if she was just at home
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Perhaps instead of calorie counting instead one thing to think about doing is teaching cooking. I know the kids in my life love foods that I have taught them to cook. So for example my neice loves loves veggie kabobs which she now makes for her family but I taught her how to make.

So perhaps she can be taught to cook or garden or fish all of which can connect her to healthy foods and will teach her a love of healthy foods.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This may not be popular, but I do teach my kids (16 & 10) to read labels, not for calories, but for sugar. It’s not “evil”—we eat ice cream and bake brownies and all of that. But given how much extra sugar is in so many things, I think a little awareness is educational—so, for example, when it comes to yogurt or ice cream with a similar amount of sugar, I’ll go for the ice cream or find a healthier yogurt to eat instead. If they want a treat, I want them to choose a treat, not mindlessly consume whatever is around (school, convenience stores, etc)—and not even know they should be thinking of it as a treat.

I also encourage them to eat protein rich foods instead of all carbs, especially if I see them headed for yet another starchy fix. I know they can make a difference for satiety, and suggesting that they make a different choice and then see if they feel more full doesn’t seem like a terrible thing. They have never really been around much in the way of disordered eating, and we are active and body positive, so I’m not concerned. Both also carried a little extra weight pre-puberty (daughter is now 16, and very healthy about food & weight, and normal BMI etc, son, 10, has a belly at the moment, but it fluctuates a lot based on his exercise level) but all of the eating discussion above isn’t linked to their weight. I get that it’s a risky time developmentally for things like eating disorders, but I also think I’d be remiss in not teaching them what I know in a healthy and age appropriate way, including about calories if they were curious. I think supporting their self-worth overall, not linked to weight or appearance (or other things) is possible while teaching them more detailed information about nutrition and better choices.