Morning Exercisers - Do you eat first?

Options
Getting back on the fitness wagon and trying to get my exercise in, 20 mins a day to start and work my way up. Right now the time that I think I have the best chance at consistency would be first thing in the morning. Wondering how many have found success with this method, and if you do it on an empty stomach. I will be mostly doing rides on my new Peloton bike :)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, no. I don't want something heavy in my stomach, and I'd rather just get into it.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Oooo...a Peloton! I'm jelly! :-) I exercise first thing in the morning (0545 Spinning class) because otherwise life gets in the way and it doesn't happen. I've always eaten breakfast afterward but used to have a quick yogurt prior, I no longer do that. Can't say as I've noticed a difference one way or the other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If I ride first thing in the morning, I do not eat and just eat breakfast after.

What do you mean by "success with this method?"
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Personally I train lifting free weights. My normal pre workout consumption includes black coffee possibly mixed with whey protein shake either soaked overnight with steel oats or a banana on the side.

This allows me to break my overnight fast with adequate protein including leucine and creatine and some carbs to help fuel my one and a half to three hours session. it's also easily digestible which saves energy allowing optimal performance.

I encourage you to experiment and find what works best for you.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I can't function without food in the morning, whether I'm working out or not. I alternate between weightlifting and circuit training. I have a smoothie with yogurt, frozen fruit, protein and a few other supplements when I wake up and am at the gym about an hour later. When I've tried to train fasted, it's ugly. Very ugly.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 and in the gym by about 4:15, weight lifting. I cannot eat that early. Blech.

Also, once I eat, it's like it starts my "hungry engine." The longer I can delay breakfast, the less I actually eat throughout the day. I can't imagine how hungry I would be throughout the day if I ate at 4:00 a.m. :noway:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:10 for my weekday morning workouts. Needless to say, I don't eat before hand those days. Even for my 6:45 workouts on Saturdays, I don't feel any need or desire to eat before hand. I'd much rather sleep.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm in the pool by 8:30 in the morning and I have to eat something before or I feel faint (I'm 64 and didn't have this problem when I was in my 30's) so, I have something light at 7:20, tea with lemon, greek yogurt with half a banana and some honey,or half a mug cake, orovernite oats, to name a few.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am up at 2:30, train from 3 to5. I do not eat but have BCAA in my water.
  • miniiimuscles
    miniiimuscles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually train on an empty stomach but only if I have BCAA's. When you don't have food in your system for your body to use for energy, it may use muscle. That's the last thing you want. So look up some good BCAA's if you intend on working out fasted regularly.
  • Tracyh140
    Tracyh140 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of toast usually with peanut butter before my morning circuit training workouts.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I typically workout fasted in the mornings and then eat post run. Only on the weekend, when I'm doing a long run, will I eat something prior to working out.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat a cookie before I go. I don’t log it either (muhahaha!)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I will eat overnight oats typically. If I forgot to make them I will have a banana and then eat something after the gym. What success are you looking for? As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose no matter when you eat. Also meal timing is a myth.
  • aderen81
    aderen81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've trained early for years, and always needed something, a slice of bread with peanut butter, or a banana. I've found latley that having a half cup of vanilla yogurt with a half scoop of protein powder for an evening snack - like 8 pm, keeps me held over until after my workout
  • robertwroach1250
    robertwroach1250 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Meal timing can effect your hungry. I can go along time before eating but after eating " Cathy bar the door".
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A shot of espresso with 1tsp of brown sugar is enough to kick start a 10mi run!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I usually work out after work but a few days I also run first on my way in, only 2.5-4 miles. I don’t eat before my morning runs and only have coffee first. I do eat within an hour after
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don’t train well when running on empty. I get up early enough to have a cup of coffee with 2% milk first. Usually by the end of that I can stomach something for breakfast (I used to wait a couple of hours so this is progress for me). Sometimes it’s a chobani yogurt or a little cereal with fresh fruit. I love eggs and things but they don’t start sounding good until a couple of hours after I wake up so I save those breakfasts for the weekend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I'm good for up to maybe 20 minutes, at medium high intensity, fasted (common example: 2 x (10 minutes on, 2 minutes off) on the rowing machine at HR up to about 80% HR reserve). It's a bit of a struggle, and I kinda hate it, but I can do it. Longer at low intensity (brisk walk, maybe 3.5-4mph, for an hour, say) is OK.

Longer duration intervals or moderately-high steady state (spin class, on-water rowing) is a no-go. I'll crash and burn energy-wise, and have a cr*p workout. Then I'll go home and want to eat all the foods, especially (for some reason) bananas. Bad.

Fortunately, I have the digestive system of a peasant, so I can eat and go hard only minutes later, without the slightest sign of digestive distress. I usually have some kefir, some hot milk, and something (big cracker-y thing called a pop cake, or an Ezekiel pita) with peanut butter on it, 400-500 calories, 24-30g protein. Perfect.

Other people work out fine fasted, and/or get an upset stomach if they eat.

All of this stuff is very personal. I'd recommend trying it, and seeing what works best for you.