Options

Replies

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    TarahByte wrote: »
    I'm still on the whole "butter in coffee is good for you" claim

I tried it. Good way to ruin two of my favorite things!

Right?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Her: I'm eating low carb
    Me: I'm glad that works for you. I enjoy bread and cookies way too much to do that
    Her: Oh, I don't eat sugar either
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hippiesaur wrote: »
    I just saw this comment on a fitness related website.
    "You know calories are mostly fictitious? The number from the food label is just the amount of heat released when the food is burned to ashes. It has very little to do with how your body breaks down, assimilates, uses or excretes food."

The bolded section is partly true. Today's calorie counts did originate by literally burning foods to ash and measuring the heat that was released. However, that data is combined with an enormous amount of further research which does account for how a body breaks down, assimilates, uses, and excretes that food. While not perfect, the calorie counts used today are darn good estimates backed up by a whole lot of actual science.

I know that part is actually true, but this person just tried to convince others that CICO never works because "that's not how your body works" and "your metabolism slows down and you will store fat if you eat less". I just didn't quote these as well.. :D