How do you breathe when lifting??

Options
Glittzy321
Glittzy321 Posts: 29 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I looked videos and they all re saying different things. Like I how do u breathe when sqautting, deadlifting, bench pressing, bicep curls and other variations. For example I breathe in when going down and hold it and when going up, I slowly exhale. Is this right???

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Each exercise is a little different, so there's no pat answer.

Are you training for anything in particular, or just working out?

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I exhale on the effort part of the lift
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Depends. For legs only and arms only its not as important as long as you are breathing.

For anything that will compress the diaphragm (situps, squats, benchpress, etc), breath in when extending and out when flexing. Weight comes towards body breath is pushed out, weight moves away from the body air comes in
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

This.
  • Glittzy321
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Wat do u mean
  • Glittzy321
    Options

Just working out
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Glittzy321 wrote: »

Just working out

You're probably fine, then.

What @SCoil123 means is that you breathe out on the hard part. So, on squats, breath in, squat down, exhale during the up motion. The up motion is the "effort part" of the lift.
  • Glittzy321
    Options

Just working out

What @SCoil123 means is that you breathe out on the hard part. So, on squats, breath in, squat down, exhale during the up motion. The up motion is the "effort part" of the lift.

Oh makes sense to me now thank u! So In a sumo deadlift. You would breathe out when u lift the weight?
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Just working out

Oh makes sense to me now thank u! So In a sumo deadlift. You would breathe out when u lift the weight?

Toward the top of the lift, when it gets hard. If you let it out at the bottom, you may lose your bracing.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Just working out

Thank you. That is what I meant. I went for a run then was driving. Sorry I didn’t see this until now to respond myself
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I hold my breath at a full capacity while squatting, deadlifting and benching in order to ensure that I've braced properly. Once I've completed the lift and in the neutral position, I'll exhale and inhale/brace again to do my next rep. For any accessory work, I breath in whatever pattern feels natural.

Do you need to do this? No. Especially if you're not working near the top of your max capacity. But that's how I do it.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Typically, you hold your breath throughout the entire lift whenever you have to brace your core, and release between reps; i.e. weighted squats, deadlift, bench, overhead press.

Accessory lifts like curls, cable work, etc you usually can breathe as you wish, but I typically hold my breath during the "effort" part of the lift, and release afterwards.